1 2 3
Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/11/18 10:27 p.m.

Yes I know, you’ve waited 20 years to see me, realize that my kids and cars and wife are cooler than yours, but I had to bail.  Social Distortion was in town, catch you at the 30 year reunion, maybe.

laugh

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
8/11/18 10:47 p.m.

As good a reason to miss as any. 

Did they play any new stuff? I've heard rumors of a new album for a couple years now, and won't see them until October. 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
8/11/18 11:08 p.m.

I missed my 10 year just to stay home and work on a friends car. A concert would have been funnier.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/11/18 11:10 p.m.
RevRico said:

As good a reason to miss as any. 

Did they play any new stuff? I've heard rumors of a new album for a couple years now, and won't see them until October. 

3 new ones were played, and he said they’re wrapping up the new album.  Also their tour bus used to be Johnny Cash’s tour bus, so that adds to the awesome.  

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
8/11/18 11:16 p.m.

Seems redundant these days with social media. Holy E36 M3 to some of my classmates posting about their lives every freaking day that it bores me to tears. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/11/18 11:21 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

The Palace... 

I woulda figgered Morgantown or the Burgh

no E36 M3

cool

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
8/11/18 11:38 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

I've seen Social Distortion there once before about 10 years ago, right after they swore off the area because they played at Rostraver Ice Gardens and Mike Ness doesn't like hockey for some reason. It's a bit echoey, but it worked very well for them even without a mosh pit. Bonus trivia: my buddy Beezer was doing show security the last time and went antiquing with Mike Ness before the show. 

I've seen a lot of acts at the Palace through the years, Bob Newhart, Steven Wright, George Carlin, Lewis Black, Steven Crosby and Graham Nash, the Pink Floyd Experience, Lez Zeppelin, David Allan Coe, Lily Tomlin, and more I just can't remember. I'm surprised at who all comes through my little town, but the allure of playing in a 70+ year old venue seems to attract people I guess. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
8/12/18 5:57 a.m.

I woulda skipped school to see them, so yeah I would skip the reunion to see them too. laugh

It's pretty likely that anyone I would care to see at a HS reunion would do the same.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/12/18 6:37 a.m.

Not a fan of Social Distortion, but I totally support missing that event for a rock concert!

My 20 year is coming in just under 2 years. I skipped the 10 year (I think the ex and I were in Montana or something), but I think I'll go to the 20 year for the hell of it. 

Of course, assuming there isn't an awesome rock show happening. In that case, I won't :)

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/12/18 7:19 a.m.

I guess my 30th is this year, or was this year. I refuse facebook, and just don't know. I wouldn't go back for it anyway. Graduating class was over 600 people, so probably people who never left that I never really knew well anyway go. 

Missing it for Social D is a great excuse. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/12/18 7:22 a.m.

I remember going to one of my reunions and thinking, "These look just like the people that I went to high school with...only bigger".

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/12/18 7:32 a.m.

I passed on my 10th reunion in 1990 to put the money ($100) towards a new set of KYB shocks on my 1966 Datsun Roadster.

Seriously - I sat down and weighed whether to go or buy new shocks.    

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/12/18 7:37 a.m.

Theyll be in Orlando like 4 days before I have to go to my 20. Swmbo is hellbent on going, so I am going. Use it as an excuse to see my kiddo, the 3 friends that still talk to me, and go have a beer at my old brewery. I'm pretty sure no one will recognize me. I plan on using that. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
8/12/18 7:52 a.m.

The fools planning my 30 year reunion this year put it on the same day as the Woodward Dream Cruise. Guess what I'm picking?

NermalSnert
NermalSnert New Reader
8/12/18 7:58 a.m.

I don't do social media and I've skipped them all so far. 40 is next year. Not doing that either- Gotta be a freak show.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
8/12/18 7:59 a.m.

The last time I went to a class reunion,there were a bunch of old people there.

02Pilot
02Pilot Dork
8/12/18 8:09 a.m.

I didn't like 98% of the people I went to high school with back then. The chances of me liking them now are not high, and on top of that I've had a lot of years in between to hone my apathy.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/12/18 8:58 a.m.

Reunions are kind of redundant for me, as I see most of my high school friends on a monthly basis. We are that tight of a group.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
8/12/18 9:03 a.m.

My sister sent me an invite (on Facebook) to a high school reunion a few years ago.

I replied that I had no interest in seeing a bunch of people I never liked in the first place then told the story of how one of them, an old friend and neighbour,  showed up at my house a few years back, looking like a bag of E36 M3 with an nonsensical story of his awesome his life running high end race teams in Europe. I suggested that he likely has mental problems.

Then I realized about 10 minutes later that it was a group message surprise

Whatever. I never liked any of them anyway.

slowride
slowride Dork
8/12/18 9:09 a.m.

I would stay home and listen to Social D records rather than go to my reunion.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
8/12/18 9:29 a.m.

I don't understand reunions. 

I see no need for trying to impress old people I had no interest in impressing when they were young. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/12/18 9:30 a.m.

Fun fact: Mike Ness also has a 1954 Chevy 

i did go to my 10 year one, I just like to talk to 2 people.  One guy had a 87 monte carlo SS in school and now has a 71 cutlass, and the other one i was tight with.  Didn’t like most everyone else.  I was the car guy whose dad busted his butt at the steel mill to pay for private school, everyone else was mostly rich kids.  

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
8/12/18 9:34 a.m.

I went to my 10-year, it was pretty much the same people I’d see around town occasionally anyway. We went to SWMBO’s 15-year reunion a few years later, she graduated a year behind me. There were several of her rather drunk former classmates there who were convinced I was in their class too. 

My 25th would have been in 2014. Some of my classmates had posted on Facebook asking if anyone knew if we were having a reunion, so I finally reached out to our former class president & asked. Her reply - “Why would we do that?”  I was completely ok with that response. I didn’t bother to go to my HS or college graduations either, so I guess it’s no surprise. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/12/18 10:12 a.m.

My 30th is this year - late November. I went to the last two out of morbid curiosity.  I'll probably go to this one as well.  The sad part will be the "In Memory" table... which will be more than a bit larger than 10 years ago.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/12/18 10:21 a.m.
Ian F said:

My 30th is this year - late November. I went to the last two out of morbid curiosity.  I'll probably go to this one as well.  The sad part will be the "In Memory" table... which will be more than a bit larger than 10 years ago.

Oooh I forgot about that table. Weve had a lot of atrophy in our class due to that. The last one I'm aware of was drug related. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
izAXBWLiAcdHcofbzqv4lozmDvGieEaLNswLdljobmcsyL5iQXqgM63YIljvjTqG