1 2 3
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/8/20 4:28 p.m.

The Starship SN8 test flight is scheduled for 4:30PM CST:

12/8/20 4:41 p.m.

Dang it, the launch was aborted at T -01.3 seconds. There was an issue with the Raptor engine and it shut down before it fired up.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/8/20 4:50 p.m.

I went outside to try and catch it and froze my ass. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/8/20 4:56 p.m.

So close. Man, that was exciting.

Also, LOL at the poor Florida boy having to endure 55F temperatures in December.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
12/8/20 4:58 p.m.

But it's a wet cold.

I was hoping to see this thing succeed.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/8/20 5:01 p.m.

It didn't really fail. Just something wasn't right. It'll try again.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
12/8/20 6:24 p.m.

Poor choice of words.  I was hoping to see this succeed *today*.

What they are attempting is exceedingly hard and failures should be expected.  It will certainly be fun to watch whatever happens.

12/8/20 6:25 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Also, LOL at the poor Florida boy having to endure 55F temperatures in December.

But it FELT like 53!!! Luckily tomorrow will be warmer. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
12/8/20 6:26 p.m.

I am so happy that SpaceX stopped it with even the smallest problem , 

Thats what NASA did wrong too many times , thinking they really have a deadline,

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/8/20 6:48 p.m.

I don't think SpaceX has ever shown any signs of go fever, honestly. And this would have been aborted by the computers, not a person. Something wasn't right on engine start. If it's like the Merlins, I believe that the vehicle is fully automated starting at T-60.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
12/8/20 7:27 p.m.

Meanwhile the high today was 37 degrees and it was a sunny day here

12/8/20 8:13 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I call BS on that. Thermometers don't go below 50 degrees. 

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
12/9/20 9:42 a.m.

For those in Florida trying to watch a Starship launch don't bother going outside, they launch these from Boca Chica, Tx on the opposite side of the Gulf. At some point they will probably start launching these from the Cape I'm guessing but that is a long ways away. This flight is supposed to be 12.5 km up and then return to the luacnh site.

https://goo.gl/maps/JsxsiytuRoSz6T4T6

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/9/20 9:52 a.m.

That's an excellent point, they're all just on "the internet" for me.

They're moving towards another attempt today. I believe the roads are closed and the flight restrictions are in effect.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/9/20 9:56 a.m.

Live from Mars...

Entropyman
Entropyman Reader
12/9/20 10:46 a.m.

Next SpaceX launch from Florida is 12/11 sometime between 1120 and 1320.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
12/9/20 11:14 a.m.

That is one cool looking rocket. Is that the one they are planning to take to Mars? How does it compare to the Saturn V? 

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
12/9/20 11:23 a.m.

The space station does not want COVID so they aborted the launch.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/9/20 11:29 a.m.

That is basically the Mars prototype. What you're looking at is the part that will land on Mars - if we're comparing to Apollo, this is the lunar lander. It's massively larger, though - that thing is something like 50m (165') tall. It has a cargo capacity roughly equivalent to the volume of the International Space Station.

The Saturn V was the rocket that sent the lander to the moon, what will fire this thing off will be something called Super Heavy that is currently under construction. The whole stack will be roughly 400' high. The current rocket being tested is the bit sitting on the top of Starship.

Note that not all of the rockets in this chart have flown and some never will. Energia flew (successfully) once and is retired. Falcon Heavy is operational and is scheduled to fly at least 3 times in 2021 if memory serves. Yenisei is maybe sometime near the end of the decade. Same with Long March. SLS Block 1 is under construction and has experienced significant delays. N1 is best known for exploding and will not try again. Saturn V we all know. SLS Block 2 is currently a set of drawings.

One of the big differences between this and any other is that it's intended to be fully reusable. SpaceX can land the three boosters in Falcon Heavy and use them again, but the second stage is thrown away. Saturn V threw away everything, the only part that returned to earth was the little conical command module and it was single-use. The Super Heavy booster that makes up the bottom part of Starship will land and will fly again. The upper part will do the same. The brings the estimated launch cost way, way down. Saturn V launches cost around $1.23 billion in current dollars. SLS is a little fuzzy but it's somewhere around $500 million to $2 billion depending on how you do the math.  Starship is expected to be a few million because you're basically only paying for gas.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/9/20 11:35 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Yeah, but it's a dry heat.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/9/20 11:35 a.m.
bentwrench said:

The space station does not want COVID so they aborted the launch.

It would surprise everyone involved if Starship showed up at the ISS this week :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/9/20 11:43 a.m.

FYI, it's looking like we can expect another attempt at around 1:30 Central today.

12/9/20 1:49 p.m.

I guess this never happened?

I had a feeling it was out of Tx, went outside just in case yesterday. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/9/20 2:04 p.m.

If by "never happened" you mean "is in the process of happening but has not happened yet", yes. It's a prototype flight, they don't have an instantaneous window to hit like with an ISS resupply. It'll fly when it's ready to fly. Right now, they're working through pre-launch procedures. Looks like they're currently loading the propellant which is a good step.

12/9/20 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Slippery (Forum Supporter) :

It looks like they are going to make another attempt today. Here is the livestream:

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3tWuq6CHZecULX9JVZfY2sSYD0hfKzY4sHZFaexiciXwYITjUfQHp4NuqhI6fRP8