1 2
donalson
donalson PowerDork
9/4/12 11:36 p.m.

yup they've got some good stuff... of all the crap we have from them the only thing we don't like is the mandolin... not fond of the pizza slicer either... then again i've spent to many years in pizza shops using true commercial grade cutters... still prefer a rocker knife though

there is a good story that goes along with dad cutting his finger tip off also...

we lived 15km out in the back country of germany... dad wrapped his finger up, tossed the finger tip in his pocket and off to the ER he went... the airman (military base) saw the bloodied towel but insisted he must see the injury before he could be admited... dad argued... he finally tossed the finger tip on the desk... airman screamed like a little girl and allowed dad to proceed :)... funnier when he tells it... still one of those awesome family stories haha

Secretariata
Secretariata Reader
9/5/12 9:19 p.m.
donalson wrote: the kids and I had that that other day... kiddos LOVE mac n cheese w/ hotdogs... so figured i'd try this... they like the hotdogs more... but I may have needed to fry the spam a little longer...

Kids love mac 'n cheese, hot dogs, spam or fried bologna are just a bonus.

allen_m
allen_m New Reader
9/6/12 2:19 a.m.

It's 2:20 am and you have me thinking about Spam hot dish

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
9/6/12 6:29 a.m.

Spam has evil mind control powers.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltraDork
9/6/12 6:49 a.m.

I refuse to read the posts in this thread, but I will post in it to express my disdain for highly processed and unhealthy meats. All of you should be ashamed.

http://naturalhealthdossier.com/2012/04/processed-meats-declared-too-dangerous-for-human-consumption/

"If sodium nitrite is so dangerous to humans, why do the FDA and USDA continue to allow this cancer-causing chemical to be used? The answer, of course, is that food industry interests now dominate the actions by U.S. government regulators. The USDA, for example, tried to ban sodium nitrite in the late 1970′s but was overridden by the meat industry. It insisted the chemical was safe and accused the USDA of trying to “ban bacon.” Today, the corporations that dominate American food and agricultural interests hold tremendous influence over the FDA and USDA. Consumers are offered no real protection from dangerous chemicals intentionally added to foods, medicines and personal care products."

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
9/6/12 7:02 a.m.

That Borner mandolin rocks. Works so well it's almost frightening. Yes, definately use their slider, don't do it free hand.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/6/12 9:58 a.m.

Dammit, I've been trying not to read this thread because I've been eating healthier, and I knew I wouldn't be able to resist the pull of the SPAM. Now I must try the ultra-thin fry. Maybe I can just use the crispy strips to garnish a salad?

Margie

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
9/6/12 10:15 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Dammit, I've been trying not to read this thread because I've been eating healthier, and I knew I wouldn't be able to resist the pull of the SPAM. Now I must try the ultra-thin fry. Maybe I can just use the crispy strips to garnish a salad? Margie

Now we are talking!!!! Healthy Spam!!!!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/6/12 10:35 a.m.

I'm with Margie. It's time to temporarily fall off the halfway healthy food bandwagon and succumb to the wonder that is SPAM.

And dammit my mouth is watering. If I drool in the keyboard...

alex
alex UltraDork
9/6/12 12:57 p.m.

To expand on the slicer tangent this thread has going, I highly recommend the Japanese mandoline analog, the Benriner:

They're cheap, laser sharp with easily replaceable blades, available in a variety of sizes, and super easy to clean. Just about every fancy-pants pro kitchen has one or two.

4eyes
4eyes Dork
9/6/12 1:39 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Sliced VERY VERY thin is a new thing for me. You literally end up with something that is more like bacon than typically fried spam. I just had fun writing it more than anything else. Try taking a typical boring event and embellish on it a bit and even tying your shoes can become interesting to read about.

Needs more BBQ sauce.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/6/12 4:13 p.m.

BBQ sauce on SPAM? What manner of barbarian does this?

4eyes
4eyes Dork
9/6/12 9:38 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: BBQ sauce on SPAM? What manner of barbarian does this?

The same kind that smokes stick bologna, then slices it 1/2" thick and simmers it in BBQ sauce.

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
9/7/12 7:46 a.m.

I got a new to me used gas grill last weekend. (5 burners with a built in refrigerator in the bottom) and was looking for something to grill. Spam on the grill cooked at initially very high heat to sear it off and give it that crunchy crust with the smokey goodness and then bring it down low to heat it through is a very good snack.

The interesting thing is about spam in my family is that my mom and dad actually looked at it as something special. It was one of the few meat products that you could get during the depression and WWII. My wife is from the Philippians and they also consider it a luxury as it is one f the few "fresh" meats that you can have over there that will keep for any length of time. They were introduced to it in WWII as well and it has become a staple in the Philippians.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
9/7/12 9:07 a.m.
4eyes wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote: BBQ sauce on SPAM? What manner of barbarian does this?
The same kind that smokes stick bologna, then slices it 1/2" thick and simmers it in BBQ sauce.

Oh, my God, this suddenly brought back memories of one of my Dad's specialties, hot dogs that he simmered a good long while in his homemade, tangy BBQ sauce, then served on crusty buns. Unbelievably good...

I should probably pull all of his recipes into a cookbook. I'm thinking a good title would be "Why Dad Didn't Make It To 80 - And Why It Was Probably Worth It."

Margie

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/7/12 9:57 a.m.

I really like those 'litte smokies' in the BBQ sauce. That's the ONLY tomato based BBQ sauce that I can abide. I'm sure my heart wants to slap me silly every time I see them.

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
9/7/12 10:54 a.m.

Margie,

I am going to have to try that one!!!!

How about making a recipe book generated by readers for food cooked at the track or around the shop while working on car's? This usually involves speed, open flames, tools (tools for cars can substitute for cooking utensils) and food that we generally don't eat anywhere else.

I have learned that Mountain Due is the track equivalent of Chardonnay. It goes with anything when I am eating at the track.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UyZPSb9oN0pW6TIFC1sLh4LoHHX0ZDTcKlCUmABu6MSj3kcsOhx7oKlhDVQP2asQ