1 2 3
barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
12/23/19 9:50 p.m.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

SPOILERS AHEAD!

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Loved it. Edge of my seat. Some stuff was a little rushed, "I made snoke." Some stuff was cheesy, they kissed!??! Come on. At the end of the day, it's Star Wars, it's Disney, we knew the good guys would win. 
Still a little torn on Ben's sacrifice.

Farkin loved her yellow saber. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/23/19 10:11 p.m.

Sadest part for me was 3P0 saying goodby to everyone. I really though it was the last we'd hear him complain. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
12/23/19 10:12 p.m.

I was sad that we didn’t get to see more of good Ben instead of the “ope, you’re good now so you can have a final battle scene and then sacrifice yourself.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/23/19 10:19 p.m.

But...that's exactly what Vader did when he destroyed the Emperor and became Anikin again. He didn't last long either.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
12/23/19 10:38 p.m.

Watched it with my son yesterday.  I made a joke about the hyped up girl kiss (totally fine, kind of pleased by all the "girl power" stuff these days) and he agreed it was much ado about nothing.  We were actually weirded out by the Ray/Fin/Poe hug at the end.   Ray should have been in the middle for that, the way it was portrayed was......weird.  (Sorry if I'm old and stodgy, that was just my impression. (And that of a 17 year old boy.))

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
12/23/19 10:46 p.m.

My kiss complaint was the one between Ben and Rey. 
I also could pick apart bens fight with the knights of ren. Obviously not force wielders. Even without a saber why didn't he just blast them all away. Anyway. Small complaints. 
I'd have liked more Luke. Maybe more Rey training. Gonna go see it again. 

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
12/23/19 11:19 p.m.

I got choked up when Rey blew up the transporter, and thought Chewy was dead, as well as 3PO saying goodbye to his friends. Leia's death didn't bother me that much really. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
12/24/19 8:47 a.m.

I think I was more sad when Chewie was sad about Leia than when she actually died.

I think his reaction was about the only time I felt the movie really tugging at my emotions.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
12/24/19 8:54 a.m.

I liked the father son speech between Han and Ben, that part worked exactly as I thought it should. 

It was a pretty pointent scene in that Fischer's real life daughter announced that she/Leia was gone.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
12/24/19 9:30 a.m.

I can't believe you guys spoiled this for me.

Said every complaining internet troll everyday.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/24/19 11:02 a.m.

Serious question - None of you were bothered by Palpatine's return nullifying the first six films entirely? 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
12/24/19 11:13 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Nope.  In book cannon Palpatine came back as a clone and turned Skywalker to the dark side 

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
12/24/19 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Not one bit. He eluded to it in ep 3 as you well know. It (rather crudely) explained Snoke in a satisfactory way, and tied the whole thing in with the other 8 films. One threat, and one that was hidden behind shadows and puppets right from the start. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
12/24/19 11:20 a.m.

Darth Maul is still alive post TPM ( shown at the end of Solo ), that didn't to get the same kind of reaction that Palpatine is.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/24/19 12:49 p.m.

Read Dark Horse's Dark Empire. Coloning Palps was explored fully in that series, and sits well with me.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/24/19 1:33 p.m.
JesseWolfe said:

In reply to Javelin :

Nope.  In book cannon Palpatine came back as a clone and turned Skywalker to the dark side 

1. That book sucked

2. He didn't "come back", the clone was just a clone.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/24/19 1:35 p.m.
barefootskater said:

In reply to Javelin :

Not one bit. He eluded to it in ep 3 as you well know. It (rather crudely) explained Snoke in a satisfactory way, and tied the whole thing in with the other 8 films. One threat, and one that was hidden behind shadows and puppets right from the start. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Incorrect. The line in Episode 3 is about Darth Plageious. Even says so in the book version. Disney can try and retcon that, but it doesn't work. It invalidates Vader's sacrifice. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/24/19 1:38 p.m.
JesseWolfe said:

Darth Maul is still alive post TPM ( shown at the end of Solo ), that didn't to get the same kind of reaction that Palpatine is.

1. We've known about Maul for years thanks to the show Rebels.

2. He's didn't get blown up with force lighting and then blown up in a Death Star. And declared dead and give by Lucasfilm for 36 years.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
12/24/19 1:52 p.m.
Javelin said:
barefootskater said:

In reply to Javelin :

Incorrect. The line in Episode 3 is about Darth Plageious. Even days so in the book version. Disney can try and retcon that, but it doesn't work. It invalidates Vader's sacrifice. 

The story of Plageious was told. It was also said that he taught his apprentice (whom we can reasonably assume was Palpatine) everything he knew before getting killed.

As for being blown up with force lightning, no. He was shocked (not for the first time) and thrown down a hole. All we got was a flash of light, which could be anything. And even that was from a master at hiding his actions and his identity from everyone.

As for being blown up on the Death star, debatable. Ben and Rey can pass physical objects through space, I don't find it a stretch for Palpatine to have the same ability or something close. Or any number of escape pods. There was enough time between Palpatine falling and the explosion for Luke to carry Vader's body to the shuttle, easy for Palpatine to use the same window to make his escape.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
12/24/19 2:11 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Palpatine was a Sith. The Rule of Two means he was always aware that his apprentice might turn against him; that is how it works. I find his destruction in 6 (by self electrocuting?) way less plausible or even credible than his cheating death (of which we knew he had at least some knowledge)

Way more likely I think that he saw Vader's betrayal and made a big show with light and wind in order to make his escape than that he lost control of his own power and let himself be physically thrown off a cliff. Hell, he used force lightning to fake a "near death" in order to turn Anakin in the first place.

Taken with Luke's hunt for the Sith world (which I could totally handle a series on,hint hint Mickey) means even Luke knew or at least suspected Palpatine or a successor to still be around.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/24/19 4:22 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Why are you trying so hard to convince us that we shouldn't like what we like? 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/24/19 5:19 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

I can respect that certain point of view.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
12/24/19 5:29 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/25/19 10:16 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Javelin :

Why are you trying so hard to convince us that we shouldn't like what we like? 

Because it not only retcons the entire original trilogy, it also screws over the Disney trilogy. Snoke? Pointless. Phasma? Pointless. The loss of the entire Resistance fleet in TLJ? Pointless. Knights of Ren? Nobodies. Rey's parents? Not nobodies! Why spend two movies careening around the Star Wars universe destroying everything just to retail the original story in a much much less interesting way? Where's the new stuff? Where's the overall story arc? Why didn't the force ghosts warn literally any other Jedi for 50+ years? 

It's not just me either. This film has the lowest opening of all Disney Star Wars films including Solo, is lambasted by critics and audience alike, and even the actors hated it. I finally understand why my Trekkie friends were so upset. 

To quote Forbes:

Imagine if Justice League spent most of its running time bouncing from one arbitrary action sequence to another and retconning plot reveals and character arcs from Batman v Superman. It’s not just that the movie walks back both Rian Johnson’s Last Jedi and JJ Abrams’ own Force Awakens while negating the entire story arc of Return of the Jedi, it’s that it spends so much time doing those things that it has no time for character interaction, forward plot or thematic coherency. It’s not much fun, it’s aggressively bad and it exists for no purpose.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/26/19 1:42 a.m.

Remember when Yoda says, 'No, there is another?" That never went anywhere in the original trilogy and...we still enjoyed it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bELZvThtrLO2UeTTl4uqqErIeQbxFMUkeSFyKfSQ3U6MaTVgvBGVZlnAhfk95KV7