RussellH New Reader
11/18/08 5:49 p.m.

I just signed up for the MSF class

How're the XR 250s? There's a 1980 XR 250 for $500:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/902788977.html

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench New Reader
11/18/08 7:26 p.m.

Like I said before, the whole aircooled XR line of bikes are tanks. It's the best dirtbike you've brought up so far, but you'll miss the extra grunt and carrying capacity of the bigger bikes if you are looking to do a lot of overland traveling.

Look for a later model bike with a monotube shock in the rear. They're not hard to find and they ride much better.

I was brought up riding aircooled bikes, and don't trust the liquid cooled dirtbikes at all. Just one more thing to break.

Slightly off topic, but my friend had an old Hodaka Super Combat roller (motor was in 1000x different peices). I always thought it would be awesome to put a modern two-smoker in one and dust all the wankers at the mx-track..

Mental
Mental SuperDork
11/18/08 8:01 p.m.
RussellH wrote: I just signed up for the MSF class How're the XR 250s? There's a 1980 XR 250 for $500: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/902788977.html

Buy it, now. If you don;t tlike it, keep in the garage and sell it in a few years as a collector.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
11/19/08 8:06 a.m.

:( i want a KLR650... they where made for like 20 years with minimal changes... friend bought one not long ago... he went to look at it (thanks CL) because it had a lowering kit on it... he's um... ya might be 5'3... it was comfy enough for him that he picked it up... complete with hard bags... i want it :(

for street bikes the ninja 250... again made for over a decade with virtualy no major changes... if you keep your eyes open you can find one in good running condition for right at $1000 or less... but they sell quick as it's the beginner sport bike of choice... people buy em, ride for a few months and sell em at typicaly no loss...

i got my katana 600 for $1000... put a chain and sprockets on it... rode for 6k miles... and sold it for $900 with a flat tire a year later (was in a hard spot and couldn't afford to fix it... so it got sold)

i want another bike :(... but think a miata is a tad more practical in honesty...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/19/08 2:42 p.m.

I still vote XR400 because it's a better size for someone 5'7" or taller and is damn near bulletproof. If you are concerned about the extra engine displacement, here's something Roger DeCoster said: that's why the throttle turns both ways.

A 250 4 stroke single in the price range you mentioned would be cool for off road bopping around but the minute you get on a 4 lane road you would be hard pressed to keep up with traffic and if you got on the Interstate you might as well hold a pistol to your head. They just don't have the oomph to keep 400- 450 pounds of rider and bike going at highway speeds for very long and you become a rolling roadblock, fair game for the soccer mom in the Escalade yakking on the cell phone.

RussellH
RussellH New Reader
11/20/08 4:53 p.m.

Well the XR 250 guy didn't respond, it might be sold.

As for a 400, I came across this YZ 400 but it looks ratty:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/927310490.html

This one's registered, looks the same bike as the one above:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/927155720.html

Should I bother or no? Who carries parts for older bikes?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/21/08 6:57 a.m.

4 stroke YZ's are fast, tough and good bikes. I had a WR400, same thing with lights and I loved it. There's a huge aftermarket and parts are readily available from the local Yammie dealer.

BUT- I don't think I'd recommend one as a beginner bike. It makes stupid big HP and for someone not used to throttle control it's easy to get in trouble.

EDIT: I didn't get a chance to check those links until I got home. Those are the 2 strokes from the late 1970's and fit in the category of $350 bikes that cost $1500 to make rideable. Additionally, the 'green sticker' bike is off road use only as well. In your case, I would pass, put the same cash towards a later bike.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
11/21/08 12:24 p.m.

Just remember that you'll have to add lights, speedo, etc to make it road legal. And even that can be questionable in some states.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/21/08 12:51 p.m.

The definitive dualsport kit people. I helped a buddy put on of their kits on a TTR250 Yamaha, very nicely designed stuff.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/

RussellH
RussellH New Reader
11/21/08 7:49 p.m.

I found a clean 2003 Suzuki DR200SE (dual purpose bike) for $2k. I was talking to a friend earlier who starting riding recently. He had a Ninja 650 for a starter bike then after 3k miles he just upgraded to a brand new BMW 1200S ($15k bike). He said it's BS when people say you have to start at 250cc - he said to get a 650cc. He's a big guy 6'3 210lbs. I'm only 5-11 - 155lbs. So I'm thinking 20hp 250cc bike should be OK for me off-road and some around town driving. Unfortunately the minivans and SUVs floor it at the lights here and the streets are 4 lanes wide with 55mph speed limits. So this is not a small 30mph town unfortunately.

I'm really itching to get the DR200SE (250lbs) but am second guessing my decision. Should I scrap my original idea of getting a dual purpose bike and just get a 650cc Nighthawk, Ninja etc? I still think I'd feel more comfortable riding a light weight low powered dual purpose bike as long as I don't becoming a rolling block or get blown away when the SUVs and minivans zip around me.

skierd
skierd Dork
11/21/08 11:16 p.m.

Decide what you want though. How serious are you about getting the bike dirty? Are Enduro's, dual sport rides, or off-road riding in general more interesting to you more than putting big daily mileage and traveling for long distances on pavement,or do you really just want to toy around with on twisty roads and get something two wheeled to put a smile on your face? There's no reason you can't start with a 600+, but its a lot easier to make a big mistake on something that much more powerful. Only you can say whether or not you're ready for something of that nature, and its a decision best made after you take the MSF.

The smaller dual purpose bikes are mid-size 4-stroke dirt bikes that have enough lights to make them street legal. They'll probably do 55-60mph without issues beyond rider comfort, but thats probably the upper edge of what they will do speed wise. Having 50-150+ pounds less to pick up out of the dirt when you drop it, again, is nice though, and you can still cross continents on them if you really want to. "Lois on the Loose" is a good read for doing big trips on a little bike.

If you want a more highway capable dirt bike, go midsize with the the DRZ400S, or the smaller KTM's and BMW's. My DRZ isn't the best thing for the superslab (no wind protection, narrow seat, still gets blown around a bit, knobby tires, vibrations) but it can do it and will run 70mph no problem for as long as your butt can do it and not be completely topped out. The interstates are just so damn boring and filled with so many asshat drivers that I find its worthwhile to take the long way on my bike. Its great around town and on normal non-highway roads, and good enough for me on regular non-interstate highways. Whenever it warms up and/or I buy a windscreen and a better seat it won't even be too bad on the highway.

If you want a highway bike that can go down a dirt road without exploding, the DR650, KLR650, and the bigger adventure bikes from KTM and BMW fit the bill pretty well. MUCH more comfortable on the road for long mileage and higher speeds, but aren't nearly as nimble off-road due to their extra weight, motor, etc.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jSlPTZVOukAq8eK2q5mNxH7OXWXYyLQINBKbKToCutX8aMQ6EezrQMCGxaKmDTRL