hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
1/14/22 1:31 p.m.

Wife and I just watched the last episode of the 10 part miniseries Station Eleven last night on HBO Max. We started the series a week or so ago as my wife had read the novel over the summer. After watching the first episode I had to stop as I wanted to read the novel first, which I did, then we resumed viewing. In many ways, I wished I had not read the novel first as it clouded my viewing and the adaptation was very different. Not good/bad, just different. Did anyone else have this experience?

I thought the miniseries was very well done. I'm sure it will not be to everyone's liking and there are elements/details/events that will mess with your head. I believe they are meant to. The situation is catastrophic and everything that happens in a catastrophe cannot be explained.

This is actually one series that I plan to watch again as there are many threads and time jumps that offer connection that may have been missed on the first viewing.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/14/22 2:04 p.m.

I'm curious...  The trailer: 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/14/22 2:12 p.m.

I read the book and did not enjoy it that much.  The trailer isn't very enticing other than an opportunity to look at Mackenzie Davis.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
1/14/22 2:57 p.m.

My wife and I thought the series was great. Haven't read the book, yet.

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/14/22 3:50 p.m.

Just picked the book up last week.  I'm a sucker for dystopian fiction, and I enjoyed it overall.  From what I've heard the miniseries may be one of those rare cases where the book was good but the movie was better.

hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
1/14/22 4:33 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Spoiler: The series gives more resolutions than the book.

hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
1/14/22 4:34 p.m.

In reply to psteav (Forum Supporter) :

Wormhole required reading

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/14/22 6:20 p.m.

Yeah, it's one of the better series I watched recently. Well done, and good acting. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/14/22 6:26 p.m.

I listened to the audiobook on my way to the Challenge this year.  I'm about 1/2 way through the miniseries.   Honestly I feel like I'd be pretty lost just watching it cold. There are a lot of time jumps and such.

The post apocalyptic parts seem somehow bleaker on the screen than I'd imagined.

hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
1/14/22 6:45 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

Who did the reading on the audio book? That had to be very interesting. The use of time (and location and character story arc) jumps is a lot to keep up with. I think a 2nd viewing in the future will be warranted. When you are DONE with the series I found THIS article and THIS discussion with the show's creator.

From the book, I was fascinated by how they fairly realistically dealt with the planet losing 99.99 of it's people in a very short period of time. All production stops. Existing resources start to age out and be unusable after some period of time, etc. I feel like the show translated that fairly well although some things made me scratch my head.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/14/22 7:26 p.m.

It was narrated by Kirsten Potter.  Checked it out from my local library and listened on the Libby app (free is my jam).  

I agree, losing a huge proportion of the population quickly would be bad.   Not to derail your thread but it's a topic I've given some thought in the past few years.   I suspect we could take a 50% die-off and while it would be a demarcation point in human history and things would be disrupted for a few years, our general lifestyle would continue.    But a 90+% herd thinning?   Anarchy and a decent into the dark ages.    Gotta get our plague right!

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/14/22 7:40 p.m.

This is the whole difference between Station Eleven and The Stand.  Station Eleven kills off 99.99% of everyone, and it's anarchy.

The Stand kills off (IIRC) ~99% of everyone, and society immediately starts to clump back together.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cjAhu2oPtICD7LA4fX8GVCsdGV6G4UO5LPYg69TNljdy2Jbl1Woyo7BXGSrYhqDY