GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
11/5/08 7:38 p.m.

I've been trying to recenter the steering wheel on the Samurai (the only way to do it is to actually reposition the steering wheel itself) and of course the only nut involved is stuck. The repair manual says to lock the steering wheel and have a go at it, but I doubt they had a really good idea of how stuck a nut can be. I'm worried I could damage the steering wheel lock mechanism or even the parts that the steering shaft mounts to with the insane amount of force that will be required. Should I just put loads of force into it or what?

amaff
amaff HalfDork
11/5/08 7:39 p.m.

pneumatic impact gun.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
11/5/08 7:48 p.m.

I always need one of those :(

amaff
amaff HalfDork
11/5/08 8:17 p.m.

How stuck are we talking? I was able to get the one on the Miata off w/ an electric impact pretty easily.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
11/5/08 8:18 p.m.

Well it took two people but the nut is free. Unfortunately, now the wheel is stuck to the shaft. I sprayed penetrating oil (yeah right) into the splines and put it back together. I'll have to pick up a steering wheel puller and try again, I just hope it will be able to exert enough force to break this thing loose.

amaff
amaff HalfDork
11/5/08 8:53 p.m.

you can try treading the nut back on a couple turns, then grabbing the rim of the steering wheel and pulling like hell back and forth. They're usually pretty well stuck on. You can do this with the nut off still I suppose, but you run a high risk of punching yourself right in the face. Don't ask me how I know.

atlantamx3
atlantamx3 Dork
11/5/08 9:07 p.m.

Sometimes its really hard to bust that nut. Although I have done it a few times in my car.

atlantamx3
atlantamx3 Dork
11/5/08 9:08 p.m.

yeah watch your mouth when jerking it off. It hurts getting knocked in the teeth.

tee hee

914Driver
914Driver Dork
11/6/08 6:33 a.m.

Why not realign the front end so everybody is off center and the steering wheel is straight?

Dan

iceracer
iceracer Reader
11/6/08 9:39 a.m.

. Normally you can center the wheel by adjusting the tie rods.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/6/08 5:32 p.m.

I have needed a steering wheel puller twice lately, and both times the one borrowed from AutoZone worked just fine. On the CRX I was able to easily attach it to the stock wheel; on the Miata I had to fudge things a bit.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
11/6/08 6:26 p.m.

It's usually the nut that's behind the wheel that's the problem

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
11/6/08 6:38 p.m.
atlantamx3 wrote: Sometimes its really hard to bust that nut. Although I have done it a few times in my car.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
11/7/08 5:39 a.m.

Come on, everyone knows that the perfect tool for a stuck nut is a shotgun.

Duke
Duke Dork
11/7/08 5:49 a.m.

Come on, everyone knows that the perfect tool for a stuck nut is a shotgun.

But seriously, the steering wheel being off center is a sign of toe problems, and changing where it is centered on the shaft is just covering that up.

No?

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
11/7/08 8:18 a.m.

I hate sticky nuts.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
11/7/08 8:47 a.m.

The alignment feels fine and the adjustment points are pretty evenly set, but the previous owner had a wonky alignment setup to compensate for the worn-out suspension, so now that has to be corrected.

Duke
Duke Dork
11/7/08 9:12 a.m.

Ahhh.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6HJzdomY50nSstQX3kwxdJ0EhbjkNy2EBsa1WzkA74SindK1zVdghPjoJoHXoicN