1 2
Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/28/21 5:10 p.m.

So my wife and me want a holiday later in the year and one of our favorite bands plays Boulder in October. What is there to do there?

My wife and I plan long weekends in every state in the future so this is probably the first in a long line of questions on places lol

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/28/21 5:28 p.m.
6/28/21 6:12 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

https://www.travelboulder.com/420-events-in-boulder/

Helpful but I'm going in October

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/28/21 6:34 p.m.

This might be more interesting: https://shelbyamericancollection.org 

Well worth a visit. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/28/21 8:52 p.m.

I dunno about Boulder, but I know about Things to do in Denver when you're dead.

Sorry.  I'll see myself out now.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
6/28/21 9:05 p.m.

Make the 50 minute drive to Estes Park.  Good roads, great views.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
6/28/21 9:14 p.m.

Out of curiosity -what band is it youre going to see?

6/28/21 9:24 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

The Hu

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
6/28/21 10:03 p.m.

If you're into hiking, there is a lot of it!  Check out the Open Space and Mountain Parks website at osmp.org to see all the hiking trails and trail heads.  I can't remember which trailhead but there is one that was a summer retreat center for teachers from Texas (!?!) where the Dining Hall is now an upscale restaurant.  Oh, yes, the last 20 feet of the Mallory Cave Trail is straight up!

mechanicalmeanderings
mechanicalmeanderings New Reader
6/28/21 10:58 p.m.

Check out chataqua Park (spelling?) at the base of the flatirons, easy walks/hikes no matter your speed.

also flagstaff drive to look out over Boulder.

Pearl street mall is generally entertaining on most afternoons, entertainers and panhandlers!

celestial seasonings tea out in gunbarrel 20 minutes from downtown. 

Ncar also offers good views back north as well as south and east.

hope that helps!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/29/21 8:20 a.m.

Lots of hiking/biking.  Lots of brewery's to check out, Pearl Street Mall is cool, Estes Park is worth visiting...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
6/29/21 9:04 a.m.

Remember there is a reservation system in place for Rocky Mountain National Park if you head that way. Hate for you to get there and be turned away. Recreation.org is the site for that. 

Few small stages in the area and just up the road in longmont for some local acts. Always worth checking out. It's a college town so the bar/club scene is pretty good. Also, Some great just driving roads up there in the area if you get something interesting as a rental or that you drive up yourself. Doing the loop on the Peak to Peak highway (Route 72 and 7) is a lot of fun as long as you beat the tourists out of bed. 

6/29/21 11:37 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

This might be more interesting: https://shelbyamericancollection.org 

Well worth a visit. 

Hell yeah, we are going

6/29/21 12:17 p.m.

Next ill have to figure out how to get to Boulder from the Denver Airport.

Should we rent a car or is Uber good enough in the area that we should go that route?

6/29/21 12:19 p.m.

Depending on how we do this it might only be a couple days so probably not hiking or at most one trail.

Good places to eat? My wife has to eat gluten free so steakhouses and sushi are usually high on the list

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
6/29/21 12:25 p.m.

Uber is going to be pretty expensive from the airport. It's 45ish miles from the airport to Boulder and outside right downtown area (pearl street) it's not overly compact so I'd recommend a car.

Also, you may look at hotels because boulder vs say Broomfield will usually double the hotel cost per night. 

6/29/21 1:29 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

Uber is going to be pretty expensive from the airport. It's 45ish miles from the airport to Boulder and outside right downtown area (pearl street) it's not overly compact so I'd recommend a car.

Also, you may look at hotels because boulder vs say Broomfield will usually double the hotel cost per night. 

Rental car does sound better, thanks.

I reserved a hotel on hotels.com that looked decent, was semi close and pretty inexpensive actually. Reviews are up and down but it's considerably cheaper than the closest option ( Hotel Boulderado)

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/29/21 6:20 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

If you're renting a car & have ~1/2 day to kill. Check out the Buffalo Bill museum. If nothing else, the view of Denver from up there is awesome & it's pretty common to see elk roaming around on the drive up. I'm not sure how long a drive it would be from Boulder, but it's basically just a short way up I-70 into the mountains. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/29/21 6:54 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Depending on how we do this it might only be a couple days so probably not hiking or at most one trail.

Good places to eat? My wife has to eat gluten free so steakhouses and sushi are usually high on the list

Boulder is the Austin or Berkely of Colorado...or is Austin the Boulder of Texas? Whatever, if you're going to find food without tasty tasty gluten you're in the right town. I would recommend steak over sushi for reasons that are apparent when you look at a map. Also because CO beef is good beef.

The Shelby museum is not huge, but it's deep in quality. It may not take that long to work through or it may take forever depending on your nerdosity level.

karplus2
karplus2 Reader
6/30/21 6:57 a.m.

Check out Turo for renting a car. I have a bunch of family in the Boulder area and my wife and I used Turo to rent a car when we visited a few years ago. It was super convenient because the car owner picked us up and dropped us off at the Denver airport. Turo is like Air bnb for cars.

One of my favorite things to do while visiting Boulder is to hit up Golden Gate Canyon State Park. It is probably a 30-40 minute drive but there are some amazing views and nice hiking.

mechanicalmeanderings
mechanicalmeanderings New Reader
6/30/21 7:09 a.m.

Everything I mentioned is 5-15 minutes from downtown, except celestial seasonings, but it is 5 minutes from Shelby our in gunbarrel. Which is 25 minutes from downtown.

chataqua is close to downtown has a restaurant, and is pretty

everyone in Boulder is on a special diet, no problem finding something to meet your dietary needs

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/30/21 8:50 a.m.

The Hu

E36 M3... that's darn near a reason to plan a vacation out there by itself...

Where are they playing?

6/30/21 1:58 p.m.
Beer Baron said:

The Hu

E36 M3... that's darn near a reason to plan a vacation out there by itself...

Where are they playing?

They are playing at the Boulder Theater, like.....$40 a ticket too.

We saw them 2 years ago in Seattle and they are great. We went for our anniversary and this time it's within a few days of it too.

See you there, and bring some of that Icelandic style Ale?

6/30/21 1:59 p.m.
karplus2 said:

Check out Turo for renting a car. I have a bunch of family in the Boulder area and my wife and I used Turo to rent a car when we visited a few years ago. It was super convenient because the car owner picked us up and dropped us off at the Denver airport. Turo is like Air bnb for cars.

One of my favorite things to do while visiting Boulder is to hit up Golden Gate Canyon State Park. It is probably a 30-40 minute drive but there are some amazing views and nice hiking.

That sounds great, around here they got some cool cars too, thanks

6/30/21 1:59 p.m.
mechanicalmeanderings said:

Everything I mentioned is 5-15 minutes from downtown, except celestial seasonings, but it is 5 minutes from Shelby our in gunbarrel. Which is 25 minutes from downtown.

chataqua is close to downtown has a restaurant, and is pretty

everyone in Boulder is on a special diet, no problem finding something to meet your dietary needs

Awesome, thanks!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pRxYOJXF7ufWYb08yB6bOtlQWd6l17SlokrkItdfNjRdE8SlpcBfl19OXaPWH9h4