1 2
Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
3/22/21 6:31 p.m.

inquiring minds want to know

EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter)
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) Mod Squad
3/22/21 6:31 p.m.

Well, dang. Hope it all works out. At least FIL can see you are putting in the effort though.

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
3/22/21 7:28 p.m.

We have a rescue dog that does a lot of the same things too me, she's been that way since we got her 2 years ago. Very loving to my wife and kids but if she isn't barking at my entry too a room she's peeing on the floor. After I'm seated she's fine and will even sit on my lap. No clue why she's this way but I hope it works out for you. 

oh and she only does this too me if she's the only dog in the room, if my dog is present she's fine. Our family vet and the aspca we got her from think she was abused by a large male. 

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
3/22/21 8:35 p.m.

My daughter's (10 yo at the time) papillon (little 7 lb dog) was a rescue and really didn't like me.  Took three years before she warmed up and then we were OK.  It was best when I had him without anyone else in the house.  We had him 14 years and were buddies for the last 11.

You may want to have FIL hand feed him every meal, not just treats.  Make him the food provider.  Both of my adult daughters are doing that with their rescues and having great success.

Good luck

Scott_H
Scott_H Reader
3/22/21 8:43 p.m.

Oh, when the dog is acting up, ignore her until she behaves.  Picking her up and petting her onlt reinforces that behavior.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
3/23/21 9:03 p.m.

This is one confusing bitch. 

last night I was throwing her ball (fetch is the best game in the world), and at first if I threw the ball in a direction that led her past Doug, she would be very timid and careful as she went around him as widely as possible. 
Then, without any changes I'm aware of, she stopped returning the ball to me, and went and dropped it at Doug's feet. Then started her normal barking at him until he threw the ball. She approached him without any bait, inviting him to play, then barking as if scared until he joined in. 
WTF??

EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter)
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) Mod Squad
3/23/21 9:18 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

She is bringing the ball to him, that's great. Demanding that he throw the ball is not so great. Have him take the ball but ignore her until she stops barking before throwing it. Even better if he can get her to sit first. yes Sounds like progress to me, and I am glad Doug is taking an active interest in her.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/1/23 9:43 a.m.

Looks like a canoe revival, but how is doggo doing with FIL now?

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
12/1/23 10:20 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Well, she never did warm up to him. We moved out, didn't change their relationship. I couldn't figure it out. New dog likes him just fine. So at least there's that. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rEnPto7CIxINScvpCFbzlyHw3xnjwo6BpU5TShews4pibTd8bzgILTqFXn8kqdWc