Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/6/18 8:49 a.m.

Last night we had what appears to have been a quick nasty storm cell come through while we were out grabbing tacos.  On way home there were a couple trees and lots of limbs down.

after we consumed said tacos I noticed the house kept getting hotter even though the air conditioning was on.  Turns out we lost one limb, and it fell perfectly wrong and ripped the low voltage line out of the heat pump.  I got to guess in the dark what wires went where, got it right or at least right enough to work. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/6/18 8:54 a.m.

Count your blessings.  Sounds like it could have been worse.  Good job on the repair! yes

My favorite DIY heat pump repair is pulling carbonized bug parts out of the contactor for the compressor.  I paid the service guy a hundred bucks to do it the first time, and I looked over his shoulder.  I've done it twice since then.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/6/18 9:02 a.m.

Oh I know if it were a couple inches one way it was taking out the refrigerant lines or a couple the other and it was taking out the unit, and that’s only 2 years old.  A couple the other way and it takes out my worthless gutter, that probably then falls and still takes out the wires 

i’m having a hard time even getting a price to get the trees around the house removed/trimmed.  Thinking about renting one of the big 80’ boom lifts for a week and doing it myself - dad, FIL and my uncle are all chainsaw ready and willing to help.  I have 3 to take down and 2 to trim.  I think the limb came from the dead ash tree behind the house.

on the hvac front, my buddy is a tech for a big local company and is my go-to, but he’s on call this week and was working last night at 9:40 when I texted him so i had to figure it out.  We have to put a new defrost board in the unit because a bug killed a couple contacts while frying itself, so the reversing solenoid is jumped to make AC right now.  I just got the new board in the mail. 

We were in Michigan until Tuesday, on Sunday night a nasty storm rolled in off the lake and my wife’s uncles house got hit by lightning.  They lost their electronics, and saw the electricity jump across the living room between them out of the cable box.  It can always be worse up until it kills someone.  

Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
9/6/18 9:03 a.m.

Sorry you have to deal with that. Our service line to our house ripped halfway out a few nights ago. We still had power, it was just totally unregulated.

Power surge and subsequent unregulated power into the house has really messed up some of our equipment. The treadmill is dead, 1 refrigerator is dead, and I don't know about the dishwasher. Smoke came out of the dishwasher when it happened. 

The circuit with the dishwasher is still down, since it has a short it keeps throwing the breaker. The electrician is due to come this morning.

I'm researching surge protectors since I have to replace all of my surge protectors and all of my battery backups. At least my AV stuff survived. so far all of the computers that we have checked our okay as well.

We went one night with no AC, a pretty big deal in Florida although Ohio isn't a whole lot better this time of year. 

I'm glad things weren't worse for you. These sorts of things can end up with house fires.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/6/18 9:32 a.m.
Patrick said:

Oh I know if it were a couple inches one way it was taking out the refrigerant lines or a couple the other and it was taking out the unit, and that’s only 2 years old.  A couple the other way and it takes out my worthless gutter, that probably then falls and still takes out the wires 

i’m having a hard time even getting a price to get the trees around the house removed/trimmed.  Thinking about renting one of the big 80’ boom lifts for a week and doing it myself - dad, FIL and my uncle are all chainsaw ready and willing to help.  I have 3 to take down and 2 to trim.  I think the limb came from the dead ash tree behind the house.

on the hvac front, my buddy is a tech for a big local company and is my go-to, but he’s on call this week and was working last night at 9:40 when I texted him so i had to figure it out.  We have to put a new defrost board in the unit because a bug killed a couple contacts while frying itself, so the reversing solenoid is jumped to make AC right now.  I just got the new board in the mail. 

We were in Michigan until Tuesday, on Sunday night a nasty storm rolled in off the lake and my wife’s uncles house got hit by lightning.  They lost their electronics, and saw the electricity jump across the living room between them out of the cable box.  It can always be worse up until it kills someone.  

I've had to have trees removed at two different homes now. No way would I go after that myself. Unless you're going to use it as firewood, cutting it into manageable pieces and disposing of it is the really PITA part of it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/6/18 9:39 a.m.
z31maniac said:
Patrick said:

i’m having a hard time even getting a price to get the trees around the house removed/trimmed.  Thinking about renting one of the big 80’ boom lifts for a week and doing it myself

I've had to have trees removed at two different homes now. No way would I go after that myself.

Especially if you are writing a thread about Murphy's Law.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/6/18 10:52 a.m.

i’d much rather pay 2 grand to watch someone else do it than $800 for the lift, but with all the ash trees dying around here as well as one type of evergreen doing the same, the tree guys are so busy they are unreliable about getting back to you.  Out of all I called, one guy actually came out when we weren’t home, marked the 4 trees i wanted taken down then never gave an estimate.  

I’ve dropped 4 trees since we bought the house, but these need dissected due to proximity to the house.  

I trimmed everything I could reach from the roof with the pole saw.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ja6FKpcqoxZU3bIzRFylVXRkJDnh5LDPG6sXmwr4ioHhpP3AVRlLajTevQ6CsSpo