1 2 3
Wally
Wally SuperDork
10/6/09 1:19 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: It's not the tie, it's your shirts. They're too small in the neck. A properly sized shirt, with a properly tied tie won't bind. A clip-on DEFINITELY won't bind, since there is nothing to bind. It's just hanging there. Any binding is in the collar. For whatever it's worth, I have a hard time finding shirts that fit my fat neck, too.

Try Casual Male. I have a few shirts that have the top button on a little piece of elastic so it fits right.

TucoRamirez
TucoRamirez New Reader
10/6/09 1:30 p.m.

I agree. The shirt collar may be too tight. Get shirts with a looser neck and maybe some type of grommet would help. And use some wire lube to avoid binding.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
10/6/09 1:48 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: sorry, no support from me, I used to suit up for class in college. I like wearing suits.

Me too. I feel cool in a suit.

Go to Vegas for a bachelor party in suits. 13 of us did. You get treated different. In a good way.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Dork
10/6/09 2:40 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Me too. I feel cool in a suit. Go to Vegas for a bachelor party in suits. 13 of us did. You get treated different. In a good way.

I wear suits to weddings and job interviews. I don't wear ties. Fashion now indicates ties are optional. Politics indicates ties are detrimental. Tradition can get stuffed. Society has done a lot of stupid things because of "Tradition."

Also, I don't like going to places that treat me differently for wearing a suit. I know it happens. I don't like the idea of being judged on something as shallow as my clothing choice. Substance, not shallow pre-judgement. Don't judge a book by it's cover, etc.

But hey, that's Vegas ya know? I'll bet you had a great time. But if a restaurant or bar won't serve me in a t-shirt they won't get my money while I'm wearing a jacket.

~ TOPIC ~

I'm with the guys above. I can't believe the choir guy is telling you to like it or lump it! I'd run like he|| and find a place more fitting my personality. Sounds like this church values tradition (Blech!) and unquestioning obedience. It is a church.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
10/6/09 4:13 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: And it's not THEIR choir, it's OUR choir.

Correct. Which means it is not YOUR church. You alone don't get to set the standards, they do.

The rule is male choir members wear a tie. If you want to sing in the choir, wear a tie. If you want to autocross, wear a helmet.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
10/6/09 4:18 p.m.

A suit is an interesting thing.

If you have to wear it, it can really suck. However, if you can get by without it and CHOOSE to wear it, suits are the bees knees. I would like to upgrade my business attire, but the fact is that I work in an office where I occasionally have to load a truck, receive a shipment, crawl under a desk, help schlep a server, etc. I would trash a suit in short order. I am tough on even casual clothes.

That said- the guy said it wasn't open for discussion, so just don't discuss it. Show up Sunday in your nice suit, polished shoes, just minus the tie and see what happens. If the choir director/ pastor makes an issue out of it or benches you for failure to adher to the dress code, clearly that's not the place for you to be. Move on- you're not going to force the issue with any amount of success. If they are that set in their old/traditional ways (again, it's a church) you aren't going to change their minds.

karlt_10
karlt_10 New Reader
10/6/09 7:55 p.m.

I'd question the whole point of going to church, but that's a different debate for a different time.

Back to this week's episode of NOVA- it's about Darwin almost being beat to the punch on revealing evolution.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p7t9I8mbJUHs2K80i56mUqWIIGNtLRHZyJuEML1AdEBo4lqK7Yv5vskEhRa7lRKS