1 2 3
Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
5/22/18 12:39 a.m.

My current summertime drink is a margarita variation:

1/2 shot light agave syrup

1 shot Santa Cruz 100% pure lemon (or lime) juice - It's the next best thing I've found to fresh squeezed.

2 shots Kirkland Signature (Costco) silver tequila

1 splash orange extract

3 cubes of ice

Shake until ice is melted

Make it a double if you've got nowhere to go.

Since my daughter has started to enjoy helping (and encouraging) me to make my drinks this year, I'm working on perfecting the proportions with water instead of tequila for her too.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
5/22/18 6:24 a.m.
Grizz said:

Isn't the whole point of the stem to keep your hand heat from warming up the drink?

That's what the ice cubes are for.  If its in the glass long enough to get warm, you're drinking too slowly.

Last summer's favorite drink (and still in favor this year, so far) is Trader Joe's Mango Lemonade, gin, and club soda over ice.  I made some recently and my wife took a swig and then proceeded to offer some to our almost-four-year-old daughter.  As she lowered the glass to her, I said, "Uh, honey....that drink is only for us."  She didn't even realize there was gin in it. 

Ransom said:

Summer substantially means mostly a move toward beer away from Manhattans,

I, too, generally jump off the Manhattan train as the weather gets warmer.  I keep a pint jar full of homemade simple syrup in the fridge, it serves as a basis for Mint Juleps for me and Dark and Stormy for the Missus.  

And, yes, there's always the beer.  New favorite this year: Flying Dog Numero Uno.

Image result for Flying Dog Numero Uno

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
5/22/18 6:47 a.m.

On Saturday I invited all my friends over to help hang drywall. Naturally, that means I spent the day working alone. For the relaxing drink at the end of the day i found that nine bud lights on an empty stomach is refreshing with a nice oaky afterbirth. Maybe not as refined as some of the other suggestions on here, but what can I say? I like my beer like i like my violence, domestic.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
5/22/18 7:13 a.m.

Hit fast food last night on my way home and filled my cup with a mix of sprite and lemonade,5/1 or so, and used that as a mixer with gin when I got home. That was good. 

volvoclearinghouse
5/22/18 7:24 a.m.
Mndsm said:

I make gin and tonics by the quart, and use a large thermal tervis style mug. Sometimes i use a lime edys fruit bar instead of ice. 

I find that non-fizzy drinks work best with the on-the-go beverage containers.  I've been known to fill up my Contigo coffee mug with wine or margarita for "alcohol free" outings.  Everyone thinks you've just got some water.  And the wife is pleased that you have a tasty thing to share.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/22/18 8:07 a.m.

Part of coming to terms with my advancing age is the realization that I do not enjoy drinking alcohol as much as I used to.  Or maybe it's that I just don't feel the need for it.  I have come to embrace various teas, yerba mate, and fruit juice/mineral water combinations. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/22/18 8:35 a.m.

For me, it's simple. I'm mainly a beer guy. In the summertime, paired with something tasty from the grill, I'm usually drinking something microbrewed like this:

If I'm at a BBQ with buddies, or out watching a Metal band or something, I gravitate to these pounder cans:

If on the rare occasion that I'm hanging out with my Italian uncle down by the beach where he lives, and there's good cheese and bread being eaten, then it's strictly his homemade red wine. That is basically the only wine I drink, and for good reason: it's INCREDIBLE. 

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
5/22/18 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Though not particularly summery, the Anthrax pale reminds me how delighted I was that this is actually really good:

I was so sure it was going to be a pure marketing exercise. Though I feel like the last cans I got weren't as good as the first few times, and I'm trying to figure out whether I was having an off palate day, or whether they changed something...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/22/18 9:48 a.m.

Decent beer or cheap frozen vodka. Occasionally I'll treat myself with some Jameson.

I can put away too much in an evening to keep buying the fancy bourbons I like.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/22/18 10:46 a.m.

If you like stemless wine glasses (and I do) for the summer, go to the camping department in WalMart and get yourself a few of the stainless steel, vacuum insulated ones for like $7 each. PERFECT for summer cocktails - no sweating, keeps stuff cold for hours.

Oh, and they make ROCKS GLASSES the same way - and they come with a lid.

volvoclearinghouse
5/22/18 11:19 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

I think I need those in my life now.  

stylngle2003
stylngle2003 New Reader
5/22/18 12:27 p.m.

Best part about stemless glasses, they fit in the dishwasher.

The Tervis ones also don't break when you drop them on the patio.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/22/18 12:36 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

I have both of those in my fridge right now! They are both tasty. 

Antihero
Antihero HalfDork
5/22/18 12:57 p.m.
Ransom said:

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Though not particularly summery, the Anthrax pale reminds me how delighted I was that this is actually really good:

I was so sure it was going to be a pure marketing exercise. Though I feel like the last cans I got weren't as good as the first few times, and I'm trying to figure out whether I was having an off palate day, or whether they changed something...

That is an awesome beer.

I isually stick with porters and stouts but add in the odd Purple Haze or other lager

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/22/18 2:11 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

I wish I could find Southern Tier Crème Bruûée on the regular around here.

I can usually find it in NJ stores, but availability is sporadic.  I have one or two bottles left.

My drinking habits don't really change much with the seasons. Stouts, wine, mead - all are in general rotation depending on what I'm in the mood for.  

I'll admit a sweet wine like a Niagara or a Concord over a lot of ice goes down nicely. Almost too nicely. 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
5/22/18 4:17 p.m.

I split a pitcher of rosé sangria with the girlfriend on Sunday. Based on her reaction, there's a good chance I'll be learning how to make it. Otherwise I switch to more of my homebrew hard cider and lighter beers. I do love me a caipirinha but I can't have more than a couple if I have any plans of being useful. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
5/22/18 4:51 p.m.

i prefer a Sol fresh off the mower in the summer. Besides that, rum and diet coke, preferred rum being Bacardi Oakheart. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/22/18 7:22 p.m.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
5/22/18 7:39 p.m.

Oh, and I know we've got Margaritas covered and everyone knows Mai Tais, but some friends introduced me to Painkillers a couple of years ago. One of my favorite silly tropical drinks...

• 2 oz of Rum. (traditional seems to be Pusser's, but I just use whatever's handy, tending toward dark)
  • 4 oz of pineapple juice.
  • 1 oz of cream of coconut.
  • 1 oz orange juice.
  • Top with fresh grated nutmeg to taste.

I'd swear that the last recipe I had was closer on amounts of pineapple and orange, but... Anyhow, it should all be well mixed, and as weird as the nutmeg sounds, it's important.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
5/22/18 8:19 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Man that sounds good, and I have all the ingredients on hand. laugh 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
5/22/18 8:22 p.m.

OH

There's a brewery in Hershey that makes good beer. I like their double bock. 

But they have a summer beer that I think is good even though I'm normally eh on ipas. 

It's got hibiscus in it. They have a mango one that's supposed to be for spring but since I really like mango I want to try the hell out of it.

Bubbal
Bubbal New Reader
5/22/18 8:57 p.m.

Grog

crushed ice

3 oz silver rum

2 oz simple syrup

1 oz fresh lime juice

Kentucky Mule

crushed ice

3 oz bourbon

2 oz ginger beer

1 oz fresh lime juice

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
5/22/18 11:45 p.m.

Leine's Summer Shandy or Gansett Lager in a can taste good when hot.

PBR+Lemonade= low cost shandy

einy
einy HalfDork
5/23/18 8:33 p.m.

A radler beer (like the one from Boulevard) is a great summer libation after yard work.  Low alcohol (around 2% I think) because it is basically wheat beer mixed with fruit juice.  Sounds weird, but tastes great.  

einy
einy HalfDork
5/23/18 8:34 p.m.
Grizz said:

OH

There's a brewery in Hershey that makes good beer. I like their double bock. 

But they have a summer beer that I think is good even though I'm normally eh on ipas. 

It's got hibiscus in it. They have a mango one that's supposed to be for spring but since I really like mango I want to try the hell out of it.

I’ll have to keep a watch for that one.  Troegs is a solid brewery !!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0rvLA2nskXPd5dTDYV7jjspmmNcoqzHVWu6reF63Bj6DJgB5qWdVD6nFPPPQwdd8