1 2
smog7
smog7 Dork
5/15/09 2:23 a.m.

School is ending in one week, and I am looking for something to read while I work during the summer.... Anyone have any recommendations? one of my favorite writes is Hunter S. Thompson

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
5/15/09 5:43 a.m.

Try Neal Stephenson. Snow Crash is an excellent book.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
5/15/09 7:17 a.m.

" Too Fat to Fish " by Artie Lange , side kick , on The Stern Show

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
5/15/09 7:19 a.m.

"Road Fever" by Tim Cahill

two guys trying to break the world record for driving from the bottom of south america to the end of the road in alaska.

edit: also, from the same author, and another guy i believe, can't remember the exact title, but i think its called "not so funny when it happened" basically a collection of traveling stories where things went sideways

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Dork
5/15/09 9:24 a.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: Try Neal Stephenson. Snow Crash is an excellent book.

I 2nd Tommy's choice. Stephenson is a great writer. You might also like Cryptonomicron if you're into I.T., cryptology, or like learning things.

Check out the thread on "Best Garage In Town" as well. I'm reading that now and thoroughly into it.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime Dork
5/15/09 9:53 a.m.

The Last Open Road by B.S. Levy is fun light reading about road racing back in the 50's. I really enjoyed all 4 of his books.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Dork
5/15/09 12:23 p.m.

I forgot this one. Great adventure reading and the title will get you strange looks.

Go Go Girls Of The Apocalypse

mtn
mtn Dork
5/15/09 1:35 p.m.

Lonesome Dove

Goldplated Porsche

Rangeball
Rangeball Reader
5/15/09 1:45 p.m.

Stephenson is wonderful! I have read A LOT of his books and currently reading Anathem. VERY dense. Of his though I really liked Crypto the best.

One book I highly recommend is Gone Away World. Has Ninja's, post-apocalyptic setting, and a very 'Fight Club' type feel. Also the writing style is fantastic.

Amazon link

Maybe I will have an afternoon cigar and read instead of tax law homework.....

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
5/15/09 1:50 p.m.

Brock Yates's cannonball and sunday driver are good

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
5/15/09 4:21 p.m.

oh, i forgot about gold plated porsche, there's also "Truck: On Rebuilding a Worn-Out Pickup and Other Post-Technological Adventures" by John Jerome

i've heard good things about "Truck: a love story" as well, but haven't read it.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
5/15/09 8:59 p.m.

If you like science read Cosmos by Carl Sagan for scifi I love Battelfield Earth, yeah I know L. Ron Hubbard was a loon. There's always LOTR and The Hobbit, been reading those every summer since middle school.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
5/15/09 9:26 p.m.

Another Fun read is Florida Straits

http://www.amazon.com/Florida-Straits-Laurence-Shames/dp/0440215110

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
5/15/09 11:44 p.m.

In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaajte

Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams (super easy reading)

skierd
skierd Dork
5/16/09 12:27 a.m.

Something kinda close, I guess, would be: On the Road, Jack Kerouac.

Not close at all, but good reads nonetheless: The Unfair Advantage, Mark Donohue

The Complete Walker IV, by Colin Fletcher & Chip Rawlins. Great read if you're into camping/hiking. Lots of advice, lots of neat stories, etc

Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road, Neil Peart

Saling Around the World Alone, Joshua Slocum

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
5/16/09 2:26 a.m.

The only fiction book that ever kept me into reading was One Flew Over The kookoos Nest

So I would say "how to make your car handle" by Fred Phun, "Secrets of Solo Racing" by uh.....some author? or a Carol Smith book on the topic of your choice.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
5/16/09 9:59 a.m.

that reminds me, I need to finish "how to make your car handle"

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
5/16/09 6:38 p.m.

Heh, heh, heh, you said Puhn.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
5/17/09 2:29 p.m.

i was going to say the hitcher hiler giude to the galaxy..all 5 books...

eric flints 1632 series if you like alt world stuff. hill billy town set down in 1632 germany during the 30 years war. its really funny at times.

star wars, star trek, all easy to raid the libery for.

or just for the hell of it.....any idiots giude to something.....

if you are into anime...or other tv shows or movies lots of fan fiction out there.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
5/17/09 3:37 p.m.

I'm re-reading Dune right now.

I had forgotten how good it was.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
5/17/09 10:25 p.m.

If war stories don't turn you off, might I suggest "Generation Kill." Its interesting to read about combat involving people my age and my generation. I've read tons of WWII books, but do to the differences of time, I always feel kind of detached. HBO turned it into a mini-series, but the book is still good.

OrangeRazor
OrangeRazor New Reader
5/18/09 4:20 p.m.

If you haven't read it yet, "The Art of Racing in The Rain" by Garth Stein is a must.

Right now I'm reaing "Mammoth" by John Varley and finding it quite interesting. I've read his "Red Thunder" series twice now. Also if you're into sci-fi, read "Coyote" by Allen Steele.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
5/18/09 6:59 p.m.

Pahlniuk and Vonnegut are two of my favorites.

"Survivor" by Pahlniuk was an awesome book.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Dork
5/18/09 8:03 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Pahlniuk and Vonnegut are two of my favorites. "Survivor" by Pahlniuk was an awesome book.

"Rant" By Palahniuk was fascinating. "Choke" was the one I laughed while reading the most.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
5/18/09 8:31 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: If war stories don't turn you off, might I suggest "Generation Kill." Its interesting to read about combat involving people my age and my generation. I've read tons of WWII books, but do to the differences of time, I always feel kind of detached. HBO turned it into a mini-series, but the book is still good.

Also on that same note: Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 is a moving look into modern warfare. I was choking up through parts of it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p1IrxC5nSuw3j824jocPFRLQjmWDs3HyaMZouM2Sj1LrHSciHMOwaquZ25mhyWkD