captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/7/20 5:58 p.m.

They've family owned, have the toilet paper, cleaning supplies, fresh fruit and meat that you need. 

Carna FTW. (Also great peppers and onions)

Back to your regularly scheduled programming. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
4/7/20 6:05 p.m.

people still use the word "ethnic" in such ways?

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/7/20 6:07 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Well there are various Asian grocers and Latin American grocers and Greek ones to name others. I'm all for another all encompassing term. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/7/20 6:10 p.m.

ethnic:   Of, relating to, or characteristic of a group of people sharing a common cultural or national heritage and often sharing a common language or religion.

Sounds good to me! yes

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/7/20 6:12 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

As opposed to "Support you grocer who is exactly the same as everyone else, and is part of a monoculture with no identifying traits"?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/7/20 6:30 p.m.

It's only a monoculture if you look at it in context. A normal US grocery store is noticeably different than a Canadian one, quite different than a lot of European ones and downright exotic in Asia.

And yes, I very much enjoy our local ethnic grocers. I need to frequent them more, umm, frequently. Thanks for the reminder.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/7/20 6:47 p.m.

That's about the only place selling boba in this little town.  I had passion fruit and the Mrs. had taro the last week.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) UltraDork
4/7/20 6:48 p.m.

Those small Mexican groceries often have superb tacos, tamales, etc for cheap. Authentic and delicious. Maybe now's not the time, but they kick the crap out of the Bell

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/7/20 6:52 p.m.
JoeyM said:

That's about the only place selling boba in this little town.  I had passion fruit and the Mrs. had taro the last week.

Boba! I miss bubble tea.....

TJL
TJL HalfDork
4/7/20 7:08 p.m.

Ive wanted to. Our "Deland asian market" is downtown and i think everything is closed. I checked and the taqueria i usually hit was closed too. Boo. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/7/20 7:36 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I was using monoculture ironically. 

bmw88rider (Forum Supporter)
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/7/20 8:03 p.m.

That reminds me. I need to see if the local Polish Grocer is open.....I have a craving for fresh polish food. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/8/20 11:45 a.m.
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) said:

That reminds me. I need to see if the local Polish Grocer is open.....I have a craving for fresh polish food. 

Everybody around here advertising fish frys is also adverising pierogie, and cabbage and noodles.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
4/8/20 12:44 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
mr2s2000elise said:

As opposed to "Support you grocer who is exactly the same as everyone else, and is part of a monoculture with no identifying traits"?

SUPPORT YOUR BEIGE WALLPAPER PASTE GROCER

THEY ARE, IN A WORD, ACCEPTABLE

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/8/20 1:28 p.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
Streetwiseguy said:
mr2s2000elise said:

If I don't make it out alive, tell my wife "Hello"

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/8/20 1:55 p.m.

Love our locals. Theres a Mexican butcher and grocer named Louis that makes good chorizo and the best chiccarones I've ever had, plus great tacos and stuff. And Choi's is a slamming good Korean restaurant with full asian grocery. Or maybe the other way around. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/8/20 2:53 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
bmw88rider (Forum Supporter) said:

Everybody around here advertising fish frys is also adverising pierogie, and cabbage and noodles.

There is a little town named Prague, OK just to the east of OKC. Founded by Czech immigrants, they had to cancel the Kolache Festival this year. :(

http://www.praguekolachefestival.com/

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/8/20 4:26 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Okay, now it is time to panic.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/8/20 5:47 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Great Futurama reference. Enjoy your like

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
4/8/20 8:00 p.m.

SWMBO is a regular patron of a couple local Asian markets. Doesn't hurt that she's Asian, Korean to be specific.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/8/20 8:10 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
GIRTHQUAKE said:
Streetwiseguy said:
mr2s2000elise said:

If I don't make it out alive, tell my wife "Hello"

I don't know if I should trust them, but my gut says....maybe. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2dZyMBqxcc8c3NCz6nkcxHdPlyXOBEiR6EOfi7SjP6HS7Xx6P98B0YqWMUJAu2F1