1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
1/18/19 8:10 a.m.

Have you seen these pictures of a diver swimming a 20-foot great white off Hawaii?  

Sorry, wrong shot.

Dammit, wrong shot again. 

This linking thing is hard. 

OK, there is it.  I kid, but she is really working to raise awareness about the millions of sharks that are needlessly killed every year for sport of Sharkfin Soup. For soup, the fins are sliced off and the shark is tossed back alive to bleed to death, drown, or be attacked by other sharks.  It is cruel beyond belief, so icky it makes me want to take a shower.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/18/19 8:24 a.m.

Which one is the man eater?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/18/19 8:28 a.m.

I almost caught a blurb about this shark on the news.   I believe they think it is 50 years old?    

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/18/19 8:32 a.m.

Awareness raised, among other things laugh cheeky

It's also worth noting that shark fin soup is another one of those ecologically destructive meals that isn't even good: it's reported to have barely a hint of generically fishy flavor.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/18/19 9:05 a.m.

That is a big bowl of "Hell No". Both to Shark Fin soup and swimming with one. But she may be able to convince me. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/18/19 9:12 a.m.

My first career choice was marine biology, specifically looking to study sharks. Amazing creatures. That one is 20 feet and about the largest confirmed but it's pretty widely accepted that there are larger individuals out there. I'd love to have an opportunity to dive with one. In fact, there's one of the research/tagging groups in NEw England that takes on volunteers to go out on catch-and-tag missions, I'd love to do that.

Are you not even going to do the very attractive activist the courtesy of a name? Seems like you're not helping her cause very much...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
1/18/19 9:14 a.m.

shark does not eat her because there's no meat on them bones.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/18/19 10:19 a.m.

You suck at picking picture.

Do it again until you get it right!

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
1/18/19 11:45 a.m.

One thing that kind surprised me about Deep Blue was her shape, she hasn't really gotten any longer, but she sure has packed on weight. I wonder if she's still reproducing or not? Or if males get longer while females get heavier? 

It's also amazing that a model named Ocean Ramsey would grow up to be a well known Shark advocate. She was born for it!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
1/18/19 11:58 a.m.

In reply to pheller :

Deep Blue?  No, no.  You're confused.  Deep Blue was a chess computer.

https://www.ibm.com/ibm/history/ibm100/us/en/icons/deepblue/

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
1/18/19 1:02 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:

It's also worth noting that shark fin soup is another one of those ecologically destructive meals that isn't even good: it's reported to have barely a hint of generically fishy flavor.

I haven't had that soup, but I've heard nobody would notice if you substituted bacon for shark fins.

I recall one time a Japanese co-worker was talking to an American fisherman. He was a bit surprised to hear that many Americans eat sharks - it's one of the few seafoods I've seen that is fairly common over here but very unpopular in Japan.

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
1/18/19 1:05 p.m.

Someday I will catch a great white. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/18/19 1:29 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
GameboyRMH said:

I haven't had that soup, but I've heard nobody would notice if you substituted bacon for shark fins.

I recall one time a Japanese co-worker was talking to an American fisherman. He was a bit surprised to hear that many Americans eat sharks - it's one of the few seafoods I've seen that is fairly common over here but very unpopular in Japan.

It is fairly risky to eat anyways because of the way that sharks "urinate"--through their skin. And, having had shark before (I believe it was dogfish?) it was rather nasty tasting. No reason to eat it. 

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/18/19 2:36 p.m.

I’ve had, IIRC, Mako. Very pork like. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
1/18/19 2:51 p.m.
pheller said:

It's also amazing that a model named Ocean Ramsey would grow up to be a well known Shark advocate. She was born for it!

It's called Nominative Determinism, it's simultaneously more common than you'd think (just due to the statistical likelihood of anyone's name being related to their career) at the macro level and also significantly less influential than you'd think at the micro level.  It's fun.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
1/18/19 3:17 p.m.

Up to this point, "Marine Biologist" always made me think of:

Image result for i always wanted to pretend to be a marine biologist

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
1/18/19 3:34 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Funny you say that because they Shark Fish Off NYC

and send the Fins To Japan.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/18/19 5:09 p.m.

Shark is actually quite tasty.  Tastes a lot like Swordfish and half the price.

You just have to watch that they don't give you a piece from the tail region that is all tendoned up.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
1/18/19 5:56 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

I guess if you do a lot of swimming with sharks, you really need to be "on your toes" all the time?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/18/19 7:58 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

It's called Nominative Determinism, it's simultaneously more common than you'd think (just due to the statistical likelihood of anyone's name being related to their career) at the macro level and also significantly less influential than you'd think at the micro level.  It's fun.

There's a dentist near my office named Angela Gum. This one is a bit of a stretch, but there's a chiropractor near there that's a Dr. Abbruzzese. I like to pronounce it "I bruise easy."

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/18/19 8:51 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

There is a Urologist in Toledo, Ohio name Dick Tapper

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
1/18/19 8:56 p.m.

I've had shark fin soup in Hong Kong. We were there on a military exchange mission and the hosts served it at a joint dinner. It felt icky. But tasted good, actually like a really good french onion soup where the chef took care to get the onions almost to that chewy consistency. It felt icky because I spent the better part of my CG career doing E36 M3 to stop shiny happy people from finning and dumping sharks. 

I think Ocean, hot though she may be, is probably doing g a disservice by swimming with great whites. Some moron is going to duplicate and get eaten, which is fine, but the human reaction is to kill the shark for doing what sharks do. And also, dude, experts don't think the shark was actually deep blue. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/18/19 8:56 p.m.

Seen a contractor van, the guys name in normal parlance was Dick D. Virgin

He laid carpet

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
1/18/19 9:06 p.m.

I think there are only two dentists here in the little town I live in - flossmoor.

CJ
CJ Reader
1/19/19 4:11 a.m.

My dentist when I lived in Juneau was Dr. Moeller

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
etBGNfH57KU4ZcWbXduF99DEnH3qPaaTqlIROgzMaxLNUAdGYVhPD72Qo2jtGirH