1 2 3 4
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/14/20 11:00 a.m.

I wish you the best!  Stay strong!  

I gave up alcohol 27 years ago.  So many people struggle why I don't drink.  Coworkers would question why and family would ask years later if I want a drink.  

I just don't want it in my life - that's it.  

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/14/20 11:03 a.m.

Good for you!  We got your back.

Difficult thing to admit, but you did it AND you're doing something about it.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/14/20 11:50 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

This is awesome, I've had way too many friends struggle with substance abuse for years. That you're cognizant of it, taking this step, and posting here about it, gives me great hope that I'll be able to see you light a car on fire while sober someday. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/14/20 11:53 a.m.

I read something a few days ago. "A saint is just a sinner that never gives up." Or something close. Don't give up. Don't stop trying. You got this. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/14/20 12:00 p.m.

You already have made a huge step by knowing you have a problem and wanting to solidly kick it in the daddybags. Damn good work there man, keep it up!

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
11/14/20 12:08 p.m.

Good on you for making the call.

Good on you for telling your friends so they will hold you to it.

Praying for you already.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
11/14/20 12:12 p.m.

Props and support. Also having expressed the desire to want to enjoy a sober challenge is all that needs to be said to ensure that it happens, we've all got your back. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
11/14/20 12:17 p.m.

Good luck on your journey. Sometimes the toughest part is the start..

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/14/20 12:22 p.m.

Just my own experience, I didn't get drunk at this most recent challenge (not staying at the hotel because covid meant keeping it to a couple beers in the parking lot). And this is also the first challenge that I didn't spend hopelessly thrashing on a broken-ass car. Coincidence? Probably. 

But overall I had as much fun as ever. And it's not even that I don't enjoy a good thrash - but every once in a while a car that works is nice.

Wood is good!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/14/20 12:52 p.m.

Hongs never say die.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/14/20 1:23 p.m.

So proud of your decision!

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/14/20 2:00 p.m.

Awesome poopy. 

My brother is about a year sober. He had to do two separate partial hospitalizations to get there, and goes to meetings just about every day. He also drinks a ton of carbonated water and pop, as a replacement to alcohol. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/14/20 2:05 p.m.

Thank y'all so much. I hear what your saying. I'm okay with trying and failing, but I'm gonna keep trying regardless.

Part of posting this HERE is just to have the *accountability*

This is such a great forum. We're all SO fortunate to be able to enjoy it.

This is where I've been for years. Hoping to change that. One day at a time. Whatever it takes.

One of my best buds off'd himself a few years ago. I don't wanna go out like that...or the "slow road" that I've been on.

"I know I'm dying alone
I know that my drinking
Makes this hospice feel like a home
And I know I'm using drugs every morning

When I wake up
To quiet the symphonies of lovers
Who sing so sweetly to me

They will sing "sunshine"
And this is what they said
I'd love to keep on loving you, my dear
But you're already dead"

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/14/20 2:05 p.m.

We're all pulling for you.

You got this.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
11/14/20 2:20 p.m.

Take this bull by the flaming horns.  You've got this.  We've got your back.  Extra hand whammies at 30 days.  

poopshovel again
11/14/20 2:33 p.m.
Sonic said:

Take this bull by the flaming horns.  You've got this.  We've got your back.  Extra hand whammies at 30 days.  

Might take a year or three, but looking forward to a trip to Vegas to destroy the blackjack table with you & Mental SOBER.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/14/20 2:52 p.m.

Today. Just don't drink TODAY. berkeley tomorrow or next year. Today is the only one you gotta stay sober in.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/14/20 3:02 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

I just want you to know, that the desire to be in your presence is a big reason that I drive 1000 miles to Gainesville in Octobers.

You are someone who's presence I genuinely enjoy to be in.  Furthermore, I continue to enjoy that presence here online. 

I guess I'll summarize that with... Love ya man! 

He's not alone. "Chillin' with Hong Norrth" is near the top of my Reasons To Go To The Challenge list. And if you drink yourself to death, well, that would suck for everyone. Many emotions in my chest right now as i think of the journey you're starting. I'm proud of you, brother. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/14/20 3:53 p.m.

Pulling for you man!

We are all looking forward to more shovel, less poop!

poopshovel again
11/14/20 4:14 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Today. Just don't drink TODAY. berkeley tomorrow or next year. Today is the only one you gotta stay sober in.

Thank you, bro <3

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
11/14/20 4:28 p.m.

I don't know if you can or want to but could you tell us the process that you're going through?  Like where you're at?  

Shadeux (Forum Supporter)
Shadeux (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/14/20 4:38 p.m.

I've been there and I know from experience what you are going through.

You've already taken the hardest step. The ones after won't be easy, but not as hard.

From personal experience try to find out why you are drinking. You may already know, but when I understood why I did it took a little bit of the fear out of quitting.

You can do this! And we are with you every step of the way.yes

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
11/14/20 5:38 p.m.

I love being the non drinker, always the driver, no hangovers, less money on alcohol leaves more for good food and good times with the family, no risk of DUI.

I realized one day my substance use was to escape my reality, but that the money and use contributed to my problems. As soon as I stopped things got better if for no other reason than I wasn't spending time and money to get berkeleyed up

poopshovel again
11/14/20 6:30 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I'm checking into a place in North GA Monday.

I've been trying to "dial it back" with the help of my psychologist, but I keep failing.

I can't drink anymore.

And I obviously can't stop on my own.

The hangovers = anxiety/panic attacks. The "easy" way to fight the anxiety is more drinking. By sunset, the drinking = depression/beating myself up about what an alcoholic piece of E36 M3 I am > More drinks, which the depression LOVES.

Rinse. Repeat.

If I continue this cycle, I'll be dead, or in jail (again.)

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
11/14/20 7:10 p.m.

Remember that I and we love you more.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fh2cL7FBkmSaHE96DwaDv2ppe5g9tAeZTljn3bAYbknGMAZLFao2Jns5p08f4paB