1 2
scubaru
scubaru New Reader
11/15/08 4:28 a.m.

I have noticed that Pactra and Testors paint spray thicker than Tamiya, but I prefer aerosol cans, not air brush unfortunately. I like the Tamiya paints because it sprays light light and transparent, similar to candy paint. I do a lot of old school lowrider flaked-out type paint jobs on R/C bodies so im sure this might not be similar to what you are asking. I can post a pic of a body if you guys like.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
11/15/08 7:15 a.m.
P71 wrote: chknhwk - Nice job so far, but you forget to paint the actual chassis! You'd also be surprised how much you can get for used paint. I sold my old stuff that was barely used and financed half of the new stuff. BTW, if you buy from Tower Hobby online they'll send you discount codes. I think the current crop is $10 off any $50. I have a code if anybody is interested.

I thought something was missing with the way the car looked but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was. LOL! The destructions didn't say anything about painting the rest of the body. What color should it be, flat black?

Thanks for the tip on the seats, I'll definitely give that a try!

I ended up signing up on the forum, there's some good stuff in there.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
11/15/08 7:18 a.m.

scubaru, definitely post pics!

Wally
Wally SuperDork
11/15/08 7:29 a.m.

I used Bare Metal Foil on the sides and bumpers and it looks much better than silver paint. It does take some getting used to as it is very thin and tears easy.

P71
P71 HalfDork
11/15/08 7:52 a.m.

Semi-flat black accurately represents most chassis. I believe I included a chassis shot of each of my models on the RCC thread.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench New Reader
11/16/08 1:26 p.m.

Anyone have any plans for upcoming models?

My next one (I haven't built a model in about 5 years now) is going to be based off the Revell Sam Feinstein/Hal Keck 427 Cobra kit.

I was either going to do it up in it's middle 70's livery (same decal set, but different roll bar and other details), or I was going to do it up in what would be a modern day SCCA AP car if it weren't for the formation of GT classes... Think a long the lines of a quasi Trans Am Cobra. Livery wise it will be similiar to some former/current Triumph race cars; black paint, white graphics and 3pc wheels with gold centers/polished lip.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
11/16/08 2:10 p.m.

I'm thinking my next one will be a classic mini. With some leftover R32 (Skyline) parts.

I'm also thinking about making a quasi-jdm fan yo fast and furious 350z with the cherry blossom graphics on the side. I know, I'm silly but whatever. I want to see the detail on a model car.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
11/16/08 8:30 p.m.

I built the Cobra to pass time when I was in the hospital and it's a nice build. Just take you time with fitting the chassis to the body and the headers to the side pipes as they take a little fiddling around

scubaru
scubaru New Reader
11/17/08 3:23 a.m.
chknhwk wrote: scubaru, definitely post pics!

Here is are a few pics of a Subaru Impreza R/C bodies I've painted. Keep in mind, its a lowrider bass-boat flake paint job on both and might not be everyone's cup of tea. The Tamiya paints allowed me to "layer" the paint, similar to candies, to bury all that flake. Seems the drift guys like a lot of "bling" when drifting.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
11/17/08 8:58 a.m.

I like that paint!

I've got something special in mind for some paint but I'm not sure whether to spend the money on my first model or wait and do a few more first...

Wally
Wally SuperDork
11/17/08 9:06 a.m.

When you get an airbrush look into House of Colors Laquers. They offer some pearls and candies that are unreal. With a little patience and some work with a polishing kit they come out like glass.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
11/17/08 9:55 a.m.

I agree, it definitely looks better painted. I went back through the destructions and I see where I missed painting it. Oh well! The next one will just come out better.

Before:

After:

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
11/28/08 8:59 a.m.

Alright, I finally managed to get out and pick up some flat red for my Bride seats but I'm wondering what color to pain the back? I'd like to go for a carbon fiber look, what should I use? I currently have: X-1 BLACK X-10 GUN METAL X-18 SEMI-GLOSS BLACK XF-1 FLAT BLACK XF-16 FLAT ALUMINUM XF-56 METALLIC GREY XF-63 GERMAN GREY

P71
P71 HalfDork
11/28/08 9:15 a.m.

Semi-gloss black. They do make some carbon-look decals, but on seatbacks in an interior nobody will see it, so just paint it the semi-gloss black.

chknhwk
chknhwk Reader
11/28/08 3:38 p.m.

Thanks! I was thinking of that same color. However, after trying to clean up the seats and trying to figure out how to mount them I decided to take the easy way out and just use the stock seats. I think I might use the Brides on another project after I get some more experience. Progress: (If my computer will stop sucking long enough for me to post it...)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AR2r4eRuDF1q1P9Bzw2bRrWyk1u4LGZcDz4IEXOvZ3l7LxVVbke8tWuUDS1DzYE7