thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Dork
4/23/12 11:29 p.m.

Thanks to the recent Glock thread I've learned that these pistols are pretty inexpensive and seem to be a solid gun from my quick googling. Ammo doesn't seem to be too hard to find, correct? Any reason I shouldn't buy one?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill Reader
4/24/12 2:22 a.m.

Cant think of one. I hear the 9X18 Makarov is a pretty smooth shooter and there are also .380 conversion barrels (kits?) for pretty cheap too!

I used to see these in San Antonio Gun Shows for about $99.00 the price seems to have gone up a bit since then.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
4/24/12 7:24 a.m.

People who have them love them. I've been trying to pick up a CZ82 for a while, which is about the same type pistol. I really need to get my C&R permit.

drmike
drmike Reader
4/24/12 7:53 a.m.

I have a friend with a Makarov that he really likes. It had a pretty good trigger from the factory. I've shot it at the range a few times - nice little pistol.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
4/24/12 8:30 a.m.

From what I have read you really want one of the CZ ones, but that may be total crap too.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UltraDork
4/24/12 8:56 a.m.

Upon further reflection, and jogging my sieve like memory, I have a CZ82. I really like it. It's the one auto I can give to anyone and watch them enjoy shooting it. It's a rock solid piece. It's never jammed on me. It shoots anything I put in the magazine. I don't clean it often. It lives in my car or in other places that are vulnerable and not climate controlled. It was so cheap to purchase that if I lose it in some way, think stolen, I won't cry about it. I'll just get another to continue the love fest. The round it fires is a bit odd but I can find it in most places. Hungary Bill mentioned a .380 conversion kit. I've thought about that just for ammo purposes but I wonder how it would effect it's reliability. I love how it fires every time, all the time and don't want to compromise that. The gun is a good size and fits my hands pretty well with stock grips. My hands are average sized. I really can't think of anything not to like about it other than the cartridge's small size and low impact compared to larger, heavier hitting rounds. I think about this and then I think about the 15 rds I can load it with. If 15 rds of 9x18, roughly equates to .380, doesn't do the trick then you've got bigger problems. The mags are so cheap that I carry two.

rotard
rotard HalfDork
4/24/12 9:25 a.m.

Prices have gone up a lot on these weapons. Bud's has a P-64 for $165 and a Bulgarian Makarov for $268. My experience is that budsgunshop.com is about as cheap as it gets.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
4/24/12 9:51 a.m.

I haven't seen any decent CZ82s for under $200 lately. Usually 220ish now.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
4/24/12 11:04 a.m.

Might be a choice for a backup, but NFW I'd carry one as my primary.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UltraDork
4/24/12 12:10 p.m.
stroker wrote: Might be a choice for a backup, but NFW I'd carry one as my primary.

Stroker, just curious here. Why wouldn't you carry it as a primary? What do you carry as your primary?

stroker
stroker HalfDork
4/24/12 7:07 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
stroker wrote: Might be a choice for a backup, but NFW I'd carry one as my primary.
Stroker, just curious here. Why wouldn't you carry it as a primary? What do you carry as your primary?

Well, I'm definitely "Old School American" in this regard so my opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it. While at one point I was impressed with Maks (mostly due to price, they were stupid-cheap in the early 90's) I found that the more I learned about them the less impressed I was with the ballistics of the cartridge. It was once explained to me that Americans and Europeans (by somebody I trust with extensive experience training both types) have distinctly different perceptions of handgun use. I don't know if this is true or not. Americans anticipate a separation of several yards between them and their assailants. Europeans (not necessarily Eastern Bloc types) assume you're almost within arms reach. Their idea is to grab the target's shirt or collar in in hand, pull the target close and shove the pistol muzzle-first into their belly. Then you pull the trigger repeatedly until it stops going "Bang". That's why they regard "wimpy" cartridges like 32 ACP as adequate. At muzzle contact distance a 9x18 FMJ cartridge is probably pretty effective. At "American" engagements a Mak FMJ is probably not your best alternative IMHO because you can carry a pistol of the same size chambered for something much more potent like 9mm Luger or 40 S&W. These days you could probably find a 45 ACP or 10mm Auto close enough to the same size.

That being said, my understanding is that the average gunfight in the US results in less than three rounds fired. I seriously doubt I'd fire more than six shots, which puts the Mak and the revolver on more or less equal terms from round capacity but the revolver gets the nod on ballistics. I like shooting revolvers more than semis for purely personal preference, so again, this is completely subjective. If I'm going "small", I'd carry a K-frame 357 as I can conceal it easily as I'm a pretty big guy. I could probably carry an L-frame just as easily. I'd certainly load +P 38's or 357 Mags which are head and shoulders above the Mak FMJ in terms of power and documented stopping capability. While some HP Mak ammo is out there, the only HP Mak bullet out there is the Hornady XTP as far as I know. I'm probably not being fair, but the anecdotal information I've heard is that Makarovs like FMJ loads and some versions distinctly Do Not Like HP loads. Again, hearsay. If somebody out there has a Mak that loves hollowpoints, fine. I was assuming FMJ's in my reaction.

If I had any personal experience that specifically led me to believe that either Makarov pistols or the 9x18 load was inadequate in a Life or Death situation I'd cough it up. I wouldn't offer it as a backup in that event. The combo might work fine for some folks as a Primary. I'm sticking with what I'm most comfortable practically and psychologically, which for most concealment situations is a revolver. I'd certainly consider a 1911 or Hi-Power (or even Tactical Tupperware) or a Sig/HK (if I could afford one) if circumstances allowed for it.

Thus endeth my 1000th post, so I'm now a Dork. Prolly best to not listen to me, regardless.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x UltraDork
4/25/12 8:08 a.m.

Stroker, thanks for the great response!

My main reason for keeping the Mak in close proximity is that it's cheap and easily replaceable for a poor working man.

I'm agree with you in that I feel more comfortable with revolvers than autos. My favorite shooter thus far is a .357 service six. Great gun. I can shoot more accurately with it than anything else.

Funny story. James Bond originally had a .32 acp. Ian Fleming wrote him having a Walther after a fan talked about how wimpy that .32 was. Maybe added data for your theory of handgun use over here and over there?

rotard
rotard HalfDork
4/25/12 8:32 a.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Stroker, thanks for the great response! My main reason for keeping the Mak in close proximity is that it's cheap and easily replaceable for a poor working man. I'm agree with you in that I feel more comfortable with revolvers than autos. My favorite shooter thus far is a .357 service six. Great gun. I can shoot more accurately with it than anything else. Funny story. James Bond originally had a .32 acp. Ian Fleming wrote him having a Walther after a fan talked about how wimpy that .32 was. Maybe added data for your theory of handgun use over here and over there?

He had a Beretta 418 in .25 acp, originally. He was then bumped up to the .32 acp PPK.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1ZxixBMbaHgXOJuXpZFSk2cLfg4thctNFADVKA06h3Aolh3RiXONc4P7Rlaw404h