1 2 3 4 5
turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
3/27/14 11:12 a.m.

A co-worker of mine had one of those. I was impressed when I got a ride from him once and saw that it was a manual. Did you happen to buy it from a tall asian guy named Harry?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/27/14 1:59 p.m.

I was really surprised at how common these are. I literally had a pick of 4-5 good ones at $5K or less at any time.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
3/27/14 2:23 p.m.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing how you handle the suspension. These seem like a pretty damned great deal on a modern-ish car with some daily-driver potential.

procker
procker Reader
3/27/14 4:26 p.m.

Question... I've got an 02 Saturn SL base model with 220k miles, still running ok, usual Ohio rust underneath but nothing eating through, plastic in recent wear, some nicks and scratches.... There are a bunch of Vues with 100k miles on them or more in the area. After reading your reviews on the Vue, I've been starting to consider them for a cheap, less mileage car with more creature comforts...I've never really looked at SUVs before but wouldn't mind the added room and amenities. Should I start a more thorough search or is the Vue a GRM fad?

Wally
Wally MegaDork
3/27/14 4:39 p.m.

Are any of the AWD ones any good or do they have tranny issues too. After this winter iam thinking I want more ground clearance and traction.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/27/14 4:50 p.m.

To get awd, you have to be auto.
The awd system is know for sucking. It only engages the rear partially and only for the brief period that the fronts slip.
I ran my fwd with General ArticMax tires and it was unstoppable. Good ground clearance but still enough sidewall to survive potholes.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/27/14 5:01 p.m.

In reply to procker:
The Vue is not high on creature comforts.
Imagine if your SL were a SUV. That's pretty much it.
As for fad, the Vue 4cyl/man trans is a value because it is greatly overlooked.
There are tons of better cars out there but on a price/function scale these are attractive.

procker
procker Reader
3/27/14 5:10 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Haha... I'm coming from roll up windows, no power locks , no AC, and thin foam seats... Sounds like I'll at least have some cold air when I need it and not have to have to give my passenger an almost reach around to get the back window rolled down haha

Really just debating this car to have less miles and easier to haul people around when needed. Fuel economy will take a hit sure but if I have more utility... Why not?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/27/14 5:19 p.m.

You could get a Vue with crank windows.
Air was standard, if it still works.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
3/27/14 9:55 p.m.

I have power seats with 2-stage heating, A/C, cruise, power windows, power mirrors, CD, tilt, auto headlights, intermittent front and rear wipers, and a power moonroof. My coworker's V6 AWD has leather, foglights, and an MP3 player on top of that equipment.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/10/14 5:32 a.m.

I purchased the first part of my suspension redux, a complete set of KYB GR-2/Excel-G struts and shocks.

$186 shipped to my door! Thank you Amazon... (Should also qualify for the $40 rebate).

Next decision is to either buy the Megan Racing springs (1.75" drop, $138 shipped) or have the stock springs cut (both front and rear have at least one tangential end). I want to cut 3" off.

Why 3"? The wheel well gap is 4.5" and the struts have 8.4" of travel.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
4/10/14 7:43 a.m.

Booooo!

I want to see it dropped 6". Combined with a 2" shorter tire, it should get the height down to that of a Fit or other modern silly-tall econobox.

Serious recommendation would be to cut a coil off the Megans. They'll end up stiffer than the OEM stuff.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/10/14 9:04 a.m.

There's a 4cyl/5speed advertised locally for $1300 OBO. The seller says it needs a head gasket and there appears to be a small chunk missing from the passenger door. Are head gaskets a typical issues on the 2.2 motors and are all the exterior panels plastic and bolted on?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
4/10/14 9:13 a.m.

There's a 2.2/MT5 for sale up here on CL that was HIT BY A BERKING TRAIN. The damage is surprisingly light. These things earned their all-5-stars for a reason...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
4/10/14 9:27 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: There's a 4cyl/5speed advertised locally for $1300 OBO. The seller says it needs a head gasket and there appears to be a small chunk missing from the passenger door. Are head gaskets a typical issues on the 2.2 motors and are all the exterior panels plastic and bolted on?

I haven't heard of HG issues with the Ecotec, but I'm not expert. I believe all exterior panels are bolted on, except the roof (the roof can be unbolted on S-series). The door skin should be a straightforward swap.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/10/14 9:31 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:
I pulled up the one you are talking about.
Yes, the body panel is a bolt on affair, plastic.

Headgasket not a common failure point for the 2.2L. Given that it is an '03 and has the early timing chain issue, I would much more suspect a cooked engine from thrown chain.
Either way, and entire JY engine can be had for $500 to $700

That Vue is asking $1300 and has been listed for a long time. I would offer closer to half the asking price. With $700 engine and some budget for what ever else could be wrong, lets say you will be putting a total of $1k into the car.
If you buy for under $1k and put in $1k you should have a good $2k car. If you pay to have the labor done, your into $3k range.
At that, just buy a running example.
'02 manual asking $2,750

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
4/10/14 10:56 a.m.

I feel like we're getting closer to seeing a $2015 challenge Vue.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/10/14 12:10 p.m.

In reply to The0retical:
The prices are getting Challenge friendly, but these things would be pretty poor autocrossers and dragsters, I suspect. Even with a turbo it's still a hefty vehicle to move around.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/10/14 12:30 p.m.

I too am unsure of Challenge but eager to see Jav's progress!

Of course, no one expected a Cherokee to be any good at the Challenge either.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
4/10/14 12:40 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: In reply to The0retical: The prices are getting Challenge friendly, but these things would be pretty poor autocrossers and dragsters, I suspect. Even with a turbo it's still a hefty vehicle to move around.

If anyone can do it Javelin can. I just find it amusing that we're talking about lowering and force induction for something which I professed my undying hatred for when I had one. I'm starting regret getting rid of mine reading and responding to this thread.

That's pretty much the reason I hang out here, this community has a staggering amount of know how and ideas about how to take a lame appliance and make it fun to drive.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/10/14 1:00 p.m.

Did I miss something.....is Javelin working on a Challenge Vue?

The0retical
The0retical Dork
4/10/14 1:03 p.m.

Nope I'm just being the ghost of bad decision's future.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/10/14 1:07 p.m.

Personal update:
Today I got a picture of the odo rolling to 179k

Over the long cold winter the Vue started to drop a little oil on the driveway. I had the pan gasket replaced but still some oil. With the winter slush clearing, that leak seems to coming from higher. But, even so, not using even a full quart in 5k miles.
Oil leakage noted but not rushing to address. A warmer weather project.

Also over the harsh winter I developed a occasional rattle. At first it sounds like a screwdriver loose in the spare tire well. Then I thought it was maybe something broke off in the passenger rear door and rattles.
Had it up on a lift and discovered the bushing of where the rear axle control arm meets the frame has a compromised bushing. This results in the metal arm making contact with the metal u-shaped clamp/attachment to the frame.
Shown as item #23 in this linked diagram
At $230 from this source, this looks like I will source one from a JY. Also can wait for better weather.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
4/10/14 1:39 p.m.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pts/4404786442.html

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
4/10/14 2:08 p.m.

Great thread been looking off and on at these for a bit still haven't pulled the trigger though..can't wait to see how Jav's looks lowered...

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZeqIkEQHjn8u63JJG2rh2l3IzK5IqfOgQR0giGbymNG6dxCvqkXhlL0TKY7gZ3xr