1 2
slefain
slefain Dork
9/27/08 12:10 a.m.

At least around my corner of metro Atlanta it is.

I just waited half an hour next to a pump at QuikTrip waiting for the gas truck to unload a fuel delivery. I know Sonny Purdue announced that there was no gas shortage, but he obviously doesn't have to gas up the cars he rides in. It's crazy, every gas station I've passed in the last 2 days had a line out into the street. I know part of it can be blamed on crazy speculation, but this has been going on for well over a week now. At some point the crazy gas hoarders have filled enough milk jugs and just regular supply and demand resumes. Some of the gas station attendants I've talked to say that fuel deliveries are way down, cut some to almost a 1/3 of what they used to get. Some stations that got deliveries daily are getting them maybe every 3-4 days. It seems QuikTrip has a gas supply, but BP and the Ingles/Kroger/Walmart/Sams private labels are still dry.

The worst part is tomorrow I'm actually importing 5 gallons of gas to my buddy in Dacula for his car. There's no gas up there anywhere and he's almost out. Hell, he's already drained the tank in the lawnmower. I on the other hand am sitting on the 15 gallons in my '69 Olds in case of emergency. For the first time in my life I actually had to ponder the "what if" of not having enough gas to get to work. Makes me wish I had a light kit to put on my XL175 so I could at least putter to the grocery store.

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
9/27/08 5:36 p.m.

Maybe those in areas without gas should post said areas, that way $2008 challengers will know to fill up wherever possible, and not experience an empty tank in a shortage-ridden area.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
9/27/08 5:57 p.m.

I drove past at least two-dozen gas stations with no fuel in upstate SC yesterday on my way to Greenville. Get it when you can and carry a gas can with you on your way down just in case.

noisycricket
noisycricket New Reader
9/27/08 8:07 p.m.

$3.38 here. Yes, I'm a bunghole.

nasaregistrar
nasaregistrar Dork
9/27/08 8:28 p.m.

No issues along I-81 from PA to VA and regular is about 3.45

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
9/28/08 12:05 a.m.

regular is 3.56 here in western maryland... no supply problems apparent.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
9/28/08 6:47 p.m.

no issues in NJ either.. granted we get out supplies from Nothern NJ and the Philly region

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Reader
9/28/08 6:52 p.m.

I've heard that a lot of the scarcity is due to a reformulated fuel that ATL uses to cut down on smog. A friend who lives in ATL mentioned they were going to ease up on the reformulation requirement to get fuel into the city.

Does any of this ring true to the natives?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Reader
9/28/08 6:58 p.m.

A lot of stations here in Raleigh NC are out of everything except premium. Durham is apparently having a shortage of diesel also. Stations that do have regular are at least 3.89/gal.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
9/29/08 8:06 a.m.

So bottom line: If there's a fuel shortage, should you hoard fuel? The guys you were laughing at earlier are now the only ones with a steady cache of gas, and supply is clearly going down. What do you guys think?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
9/29/08 8:39 a.m.

The only car I can fuel up within 15 miles of my house is my S10 pickup, and only because it's a flex-fuel and there's still plenty of E85 at the one station that sells it. Pretty much anything else I drive I now fill up any time I pass a station with gas, just in case.

I don't know where all the gas went, but I do miss it.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Reader
9/29/08 10:19 a.m.

The only thing I have changed in my fueling habits is I now top off the tank when it is half-full instead of waiting until it is close to empty. That way, psychologically, it seems like gas prices haven't gone up that much, and if I wait until I am completely out of gas and no one has gas for sale then I AM screwed because I drive 50 miles round trip to work every day. And, yes, I would love to work closer to home or even at home. I am working toward that, but I can't make the leap just yet.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
9/29/08 5:04 p.m.

My rule is fill at 1/2 tank during hurricane season and 1/4 the rest of the time. I'll run below those limits when I'm on a trip and/or running around, but I fill it up before I park it (most of the time) or first thing the next morning (occasionally).

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Reader
10/20/08 4:37 p.m.

Yesterday I saw gas fall below $3.00 a gallon here and I actually let out a "WOO-HOO!"

bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
10/20/08 4:40 p.m.

Gas in Fla. 2.49

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
10/20/08 4:57 p.m.

Watch for it to spike back up immediately after the elections.

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 HalfDork
10/20/08 10:29 p.m.

I saw it under $3 a gallon here too. I can't believe I paid about $4.30 for it just a couple weeks ago.

therex
therex SuperDork
10/21/08 7:03 a.m.

I paid 2.99 to fill up with premium. Hooray for election day pacifiers!

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
10/21/08 7:12 a.m.
therex wrote: I paid 2.99 to fill up with *premium*. Hooray for election day pacifiers!

I second that! $2.40's here ( reg ) I may intsall a 55 gal. spare tank in the back of the Toy-Toter ( '93 4Runner ).

I expect 3.50 a unit here in Oh hiya Nov 6.

Has anyone else noticed the Obama signs change? The pre-convention ones have a peace sign in the O. Then plain, Now a flag / field flowing out of it.

Guess the Iraq pull out may take some time....

grinch77
grinch77 New Reader
10/21/08 9:43 a.m.

We hit $2.39 yesterday in Tulsa,OK

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo SuperDork
10/21/08 11:27 a.m.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/10/van_stopped_in_beaverton_equip.html

Van stopped in Beaverton equipped to steal gas by John Snell, The Oregonian Monday October 20, 2008, 3:32 PM BEAVERTON -- A stolen van recovered by Beaverton Police last night appeared to be set up to steal fuel from service stations, police said.

A police officer on patrol noticed the van at 11:16 p.m. near Southwest Denney Road and Oregon 217, said Detective Pam Yazzolino, spokeswoman for the Beaverton Police Department.

The back windows of the van, a full-sized GMC white passenger van, had been spray-painted black, which made the it impossible to see inside, Yazzolino said. When police ran the license plate, they discovered the van had been reported stolen from Portland.

Police stopped the van off Interstate 5 and arrested the driver, David Lee Harvey, 40, of Portland.

During a search of the van, police found eight 55-gallon drums inside with traces of diesel fuel and gasoline in them.

Yazzolino said officers also found a hand pump near a hole cut into the van's floor. The hole and pump would have allowed someone to siphon gas from underground tanks at service stations without detection, Yazzolino said.

Harvey was held at the Washington County Jail on accusations of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and possession of a stolen vehicle. He also was held on a misdemeanor Clackamas County warrant charging him with failure to appear on theft charges.

'nuff said

kabel
kabel Dork
10/21/08 12:04 p.m.

^That idea was used on an episode of CSI: Miami a few weeks ago...

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/21/08 1:11 p.m.
fiat22turbo wrote: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/10/van_stopped_in_beaverton_equip.html Van stopped in Beaverton equipped to steal gas by John Snell, The Oregonian Monday October 20, 2008, 3:32 PM BEAVERTON -- A stolen van recovered by Beaverton Police last night appeared to be set up to steal fuel from service stations, police said. A police officer on patrol noticed the van at 11:16 p.m. near Southwest Denney Road and Oregon 217, said Detective Pam Yazzolino, spokeswoman for the Beaverton Police Department. The back windows of the van, a full-sized GMC white passenger van, had been spray-painted black, which made the it impossible to see inside, Yazzolino said. When police ran the license plate, they discovered the van had been reported stolen from Portland. Police stopped the van off Interstate 5 and arrested the driver, David Lee Harvey, 40, of Portland. During a search of the van, police found eight 55-gallon drums inside with traces of diesel fuel and gasoline in them. Yazzolino said officers also found a hand pump near a hole cut into the van's floor. The hole and pump would have allowed someone to siphon gas from underground tanks at service stations without detection, Yazzolino said. Harvey was held at the Washington County Jail on accusations of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle and possession of a stolen vehicle. He also was held on a misdemeanor Clackamas County warrant charging him with failure to appear on theft charges. 'nuff said

Now why did the dumbass leave the stolen tag on the stolen van??? He deserved to get caught.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo HalfDork
11/11/08 8:09 p.m.

Gas prices continue to fall here after the election. We hit $2.12 yesterday. If we get below $2.00/gal I am going on a motherberkeleying road trip!

amaff
amaff HalfDork
11/11/08 8:16 p.m.

I saw 1.96 for regular today.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9769Bkk8qWlldaYKoHczUoiTVtZ6OVa64TD3ZXAuWhtiAnZMXCleYks5HhuTSh4o