Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/1/22 10:54 a.m.

I didn't read Jalopnik much, mainly followed David Tracy's epicly bad decisions, so it saddened me when he left.  That being said The Autopian opened with a new story on DT buying something half the world away so I have high hopes for his new site.

https://www.theautopian.com/

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/1/22 11:07 a.m.

They have a cool article on Chinese XJs. I didn't know this was a thing. I want one.

https://www.theautopian.com/wip-a-deep-dive-into-how-china-started-building-bizarre-jeep-cherokee-xj-clones/

johndej
johndej Dork
4/1/22 11:11 a.m.

Hahaha, yeah, he's had some plans for going around the world coming together for a bit. Can't wait to see how they play out!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
4/1/22 11:18 a.m.

Having finally read The Last American CEO, I am curious how much Renault pushed for the creation of Bejing Jeep.  Anyone know or have a good reference on that one?

That book makes me think that AMC doomed itself by getting in bed with Renault but I also understand that AMC went around with hat in hand begging for funding and Renault was the only serious party to show up.  Real catch-22 where "just another few years" and AMC possibly would have lived off of profits from XJ, ZJ, Wrangler and Humvee.  

p.s. this site looks good.  Jalopnik / GM whatever they're called these days messed up letting these dudes out to compete with them.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/1/22 11:54 a.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

They have a cool article on Chinese XJs. I didn't know this was a thing. I want one.

https://www.theautopian.com/wip-a-deep-dive-into-how-china-started-building-bizarre-jeep-cherokee-xj-clones/

Neat article!  Saw quite a few of those in Beijing in 2000, quite a few with garish wheels and graphics.  I got the impression they were quite the status symbol, kind of like Buicks.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/1/22 12:17 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

Neat article!  Saw quite a few of those in Beijing in 2000, quite a few with garish wheels and graphics.  I got the impression they were quite the status symbol, kind of like Buicks.

Do they still make them over there? I think there would be a market here if they import them.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/1/22 12:39 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

p.s. this site looks good.  Jalopnik / GM whatever they're called these days messed up letting these dudes out to compete with them.

You can say that again.  Torch is entertaining enough I guess, but DT is the cream of the crop when it comes to watching a trainwreck

pres589 (djronnebaum)
4/1/22 1:05 p.m.

I think Tracy and Torch work well together and there's a certain balance between them.  

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/1/22 1:07 p.m.

G-Bodyman is over there as well smiley

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
4/1/22 2:27 p.m.

Always thought of Tracey as off-road GRM. 

I'm pretty suspicious about the success rate of car blogs, but I hope they hit it big!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
4/1/22 2:30 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Good on him!  What's his name again?

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
4/1/22 3:17 p.m.

I tried to read the article about the front-mounted reverse lights on SAABs because I didn't know they existed. 
I couldn't read the article. Does this guy/these guys get paid by the word?  Geez man, get to the point!  I love entertaining writing that's also informative ir is telling you something. Peter Egan is a perfect example. Whoever wrote that SAAB stuff exemplifies what I hated about mainstream automotive media. 
Stop pontificating and say something already!!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
4/1/22 3:24 p.m.
DrBoost said:

I tried to read the article about the front-mounted reverse lights on SAABs because I didn't know they existed. 
I couldn't read the article. Does this guy/these guys get paid by the word?  Geez man, get to the point!  I love entertaining writing that's also informative ir is telling you something. Peter Egan is a perfect example. Whoever wrote that SAAB stuff exemplifies what I hated about mainstream automotive media. 
Stop pontificating and say something already!!

That's Torch.  He really likes indicators of all kinds.  Really really likes them.

nocones
nocones PowerDork
4/1/22 3:33 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

Torch could easily have a second career writing copy for Recipie websites.  

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
4/1/22 5:22 p.m.

I'm glad they have someone from Lane Motor Museum providing content.  I've only been there once, but it has to be one of the coolest car museums I have ever seen.

G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter)
G_Body_Man (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/1/22 7:24 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Good on him!  What's his name again?

Oh hey, sorry I'm late to the thread. Launch day's been a touch hectic. I'm Thomas, or Thomas_Hundal on The Autopian. I'm not quite sure why there's an underscore there but it certainly seems to fit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6TWLo9pTzkUyAo5dhfCSD73o0QWkwILMn8Tqa7TRVK3DYkhUV3oJiHXFkS0SpzW1