Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
9/6/18 5:48 p.m.

Cool guy - hairy too!

My gift to the GRM ladies is...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/6/18 6:29 p.m.

I think he might have been a wagon lover. Who knew?

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
9/6/18 6:46 p.m.

Don't forget some of his more obscure movies.  My mom was a big fan (the Playgirl issue probably helped).  I still remember hearing the line in S&tB "Sheriff, do the letters F O mean anything to you?"  This 10ish year old asked his mom, in the theater, "what do they mean?"  She matter-of-factly replied berkeley Off.  Thanks mom.

(Too soon?)

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/6/18 6:48 p.m.

Usually these threads are kind of a meh to me. People die, it doesn't really bother me. Most actors and famous people are just strangers to me.

But this time...

The first movie I ever saw in a movie theater was Burt in Hooper. I was 11. Just me and my dad, at the Ultravision theater in Charleston. Man that's a wonderful memory from 40 years ago.

Probably still one of my favorite movies. One of my all time favorite actors. I might have to watch a couple of movies over the next few weeks. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
9/6/18 6:50 p.m.
Wally
Wally MegaDork
9/6/18 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

The first movie I remember seeing in a theater was Cannonball Run.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
9/6/18 7:10 p.m.

Only movie that I ever saw with Burt Reynolds in the movie theater was Boogie Nights. Everything else I saw of him was on TV, cable or VHS. 

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
9/6/18 8:06 p.m.

He's gonna go down in glory riding 18 wheels. Thanks Mr. Bandit. He's eastdown and bound with Snowman and Fred.

My all time favorite movie. Seen it thousands of time and quote it quite often.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
9/6/18 9:01 p.m.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/6/18 9:07 p.m.

Watched Smokey and the bandit last weekend.

We've been meaning to watch this for some time but haven't gotten around to it. Memories of my childhood, staying up into the middle of the night to watch the late show, or late great movies. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/6/18 9:08 p.m.

He was on the stage at Barret Jackson a year or two ago.  I didn't expect him to last this long.  I saw a ton of his movies when I was a teenager.

Let's test you for obscure Burt movies- What movie, and what car was the star?

"Fill er up"

"Regular or Ethyl?"

"I'll have Ethyl is she's working."

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/6/18 9:09 p.m.
Suprf1y said:

Watched Smokey and the bandit last weekend.

We've been meaning to watch this for some time but haven't gotten around to it. 

That's funny . Timing is everything on message board posts...

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/6/18 9:14 p.m.

I caught that too

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
9/6/18 9:50 p.m.

There is only one scene worth watching in Cannonball. Sorry Burt.   

https://youtu.be/x_6-mCoxrVg

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/6/18 11:15 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Was Hooper the bar room brawl with the motor cycle helmet and obligatory tossed through the front window scene?  I remember liking that movie too. smiley

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/6/18 11:25 p.m.

Working in the restaurant world I get an unsurprising daily chance to say 'Ya know daddy a living legend and an out of work bum look an awful lot alike.' laugh

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/6/18 11:48 p.m.

But did you ever get asked for a diablo sandwich and Dr. Pepper fast, because they were in a godamn hurry?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/7/18 6:44 a.m.

Burt was one of my childhood heros. I grew up on the Bandit movies, of course, but in later years I really dug into some of his other stuff too. Gator always impressed me for taking the right side of some tough topics in the 1970s south, moreso since it was his directorial debut. 

But as a Georgia boy nothing hits me right in the feels like a black trans am running from the GA State Patrol.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
9/7/18 6:59 a.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

That's the one.

Talked to SWMBO this morning, she mentioned that when she found out yesterday she told her boss, thinking she's proper age to know Burt in his prime (boss is mid 50s).  Her boss?  "That's a shame.  I loved him in Magnum PI."  indecision

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/7/18 7:55 a.m.

Breaker 19, break 19, this is Big Daddy, time to bring it home son.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/7/18 8:24 a.m.

I watched Smokey and the Bandit for the first time in a while last night. I caught a lot of small jokes and details that flew over my head in recent years because I was paying too much attention to the Trans Am itself. It really is a great movie. Might have to spend some time this weekend watching the 2nd one, Hooper, and maybe a little Cannonball Run.

Brut RULED. sad

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/7/18 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

“Pumps 1 and 2, hit ‘em”

”Are you nuts? You got one unleaded and one premium”

”She goes both ways”

glueguy
glueguy Dork
9/7/18 5:34 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

In reply to Toyman01 :

Was Hooper the bar room brawl with the motor cycle helmet and obligatory tossed through the front window scene?  I remember liking that movie too. smiley

Yep. Have to watch Hooper again. It’s been way too long. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/7/18 5:40 p.m.

I read this today about some of the roles he turned down

Incredibly, Burt turned down roles in what would become iconic movies including playing James Bond, Michael Corleone's role in “The Godfather”, Han Solo in “Star Wars”, Richard Gere's Role in “Pretty Woman”, Jack Nicholson's Role in “One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest”, and Bruce Willis' role in “Die Hard”

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
D50RGCCP5g7bkCa3zpgTy5wH49ijsPqKjtWeE9lcoGcDnw2GojiKDFsGONU8cMX2