1 2 3
Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/1/17 8:29 a.m.

Been really excited lately. Have to share the big news. I'm back to being in charge of brewing operations at a brewery. A group of us has been working at getting a new project started. As of this past weekend, we've got operational control of the space we're in and are getting everything in order. I've been waiting for this to happen for months now, nervous about what the timeline was going to be if I needed to find another full-time gig to tide me over. The worry is over now.

Kicker is, I'm back in the old space I left. Same equipment, most of the same team, new management. It's going to be a new brewing company, not just refreshing the old brand.

We still haven't settled on a name yet (need to check availability of trademarks for several candidates), but know the direction and vision for the brand. Going to have some first draft beers (no pun intended) in about a month and a soft opening sometime this summer. I'll let people know when that happens and we can hopefully do another Columbus get together after the first 4-5 beers are out.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
6/1/17 8:32 a.m.

woohoo! congrats!

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/1/17 8:33 a.m.

When you say same space and team do you mean the exact same physical address?

I enjoyed the one day I stopped in and glad to say I had a genuine hand in the production that day (even if it was the most minor hand in the production.)

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/1/17 8:37 a.m.
John Welsh wrote: When you say same space and team do you mean the exact same physical address? I enjoyed the one day I stopped in and glad to say I had a genuine hand in the production that day (even if it was the most minor hand in the production.)

Yup. Exact same physical address. Same space. Same equipment.

Back to working with my old assistant too. Love working with him. He and I make a great team.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/1/17 8:39 a.m.

Great!
I look forward to the next visit.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
6/1/17 9:09 a.m.

Congratulations!

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/1/17 9:14 a.m.

Sounds like you're putting the band back together.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
6/1/17 9:32 a.m.

Let me know when the first visits will be available, this sounds like a good excuse for a small road trip.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/1/17 9:55 a.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Let me know when the first visits will be available, this sounds like a good excuse for a small road trip.

Will do. Brewing process takes time. We're looking at 4-6 weeks before we get a round of new beers on tap.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
6/1/17 10:01 a.m.

Best of luck.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
6/1/17 10:06 a.m.

Congratulations! New beer is good. New management that doesn't suck hard is even better! Prost!

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
6/1/17 10:12 a.m.

I take it the former management was the breaking point last time?

sounds like a solid start!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/1/17 10:41 a.m.
xflowgolf wrote: I take it the former management was the breaking point last time?

Long story short, yes. He was the only real issue.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
6/1/17 10:45 a.m.

Being back at the old haunt with the previous concerns removed sounds like the best possible situation. I'll likely be setting roots with a single brewery soon. I've been enjoying the input and trying styles at 4 different local venues doing guest brewing and collaborations over the past few months. But it'd be nice to have a consistent workplace where everything can be found at the same expected location everyday.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit PowerDork
6/1/17 11:50 a.m.

Awesome, I have a place to stop on my way home from work again.

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
6/1/17 4:47 p.m.

Congratulations!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/1/17 4:51 p.m.

Damn, i was hoping you were going to take the deal in florida so I had an in at another brewery.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
6/1/17 5:07 p.m.

Grassroots Lagersports?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/1/17 6:43 p.m.

Congrats, dude.

madpanda
madpanda Reader
6/1/17 7:00 p.m.

Congrats! (Sorry I fell off the face of the planet on the PMs...)

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/1/17 7:22 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: Grassroots Lagersports?

There will be lagers. First beer planned to brew is a lager (although maybe not first released due to fermentation/conditioning times).

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/1/17 7:34 p.m.

So, assuming you are not picking up where the old management left off, what is the general flavor of the new enterprise? It is getting hard to carve out a unique niche in the craft beer world.

Getting tap-space in the local bar/restaurant scene is quite competitive. Are you worried that the old management might have left a bad taste that might affect the new effort?

Looking forward to your future post; as someone who has been in the beer business, it is hard to get the romance out of the system.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
6/1/17 7:38 p.m.

Congrats. I can think of a few jobs/places I wouldn't mind going back to if only we could leave the bad management out. Maybe we should have a GRM road-trip meeting when things get settled.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
6/1/17 10:35 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
John Welsh wrote: When you say same space and team do you mean the exact same physical address? I enjoyed the one day I stopped in and glad to say I had a genuine hand in the production that day (even if it was the most minor hand in the production.)
Yup. Exact same physical address. Same space. Same equipment. Back to working with my old assistant too. Love working with him. He and I make a great team.

Déjà Brew?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill UberDork
6/2/17 1:46 a.m.

Dude, congrats! Sounds like a sweet gig!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5jAfz1FwzgTW6BxvCfHYFuTWwFPIlWTK1liQ6RcPlR8F3g0RZchRlQTgXeYa2ngW