1 2 3 4
GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
7/15/11 8:22 a.m.

I just don't see Salley fiting in.. I think hes good on air - he was awsome on best damn sports show but he seems out of his elements and his few remarks are just annoying..

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
7/15/11 9:06 a.m.

Now that I think about it, I believe Salley is supposed to be the 'every day guy' of the crew. I think that if he gets comfortable and they stop ragging on him hardcore he will work quite nicely.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
7/15/11 9:30 a.m.
T.J. wrote: Adam doesn't seem all that funny to me and has an unpleasant voice and face. I rate is above New Jersey Housewives, but below Finding Bigfoot.

My thoughts exactly.

I want more car shows, but I want car shows that will be so good they spawn other car shows and make car shows popular. I don't want a car show just to have a car show. A bad car show ruins the chances of other car shows.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
7/15/11 10:10 a.m.

Watching it for the first time as i type this. I have to say, Top Gear UK has set the bar very high for all other car shows now. At first, i thought i was watching some show made by Tire Rack (way too much tire rack stuff going on). The 0- 60 segment is unique i guess, but like Brad is saying, whos gonna pay $2 Million to go race in GT2? Think the LeMons segment was way too short. The Standing Mile clip was a complete rip off of TG UK. Id rather watch the Veyron go against the Typhoon any day over a 911 vs. a Cessna...

Continuing the episode...

Edit: Finished it. Man, does anyone else want to dropkick that salt and peppered Car Salesmen of a host? Forgot his name already

GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
7/15/11 11:45 a.m.

I don't want an everyday day guy on my car show - i work with enough of them at my office.. I want people who have intersteing comments to make on a car not comment on not needing leather for seats.. The news paper guy - he would be good if Adam c can make fun of htem.. I see it somewhat working it just needs time - that is if the network will allow the time needed.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
7/15/11 12:29 p.m.

I enjoyed it, especially for a first episode. I hope they spend more time on fewer segments. I excused it figuring that the first episode was half throwing things at the wall to see what sticks and half giving you a taste of all the kinds of segments they'll do in later episodes (but not all in every episode).

I think making a car show for car guys like us is a bad idea. We're not that big a segment of the population, and we'd much rather go out and actually do stuff than just watch it.

I like Top Gear because it doesn't try to be practical. It's entertainment. It's fantasy. They review awesome cars you'll never drive. Their reviews are meant to be more amusing and interesting than informative. If I want to know whether the latest Nissan Z car or Mazda RX car performs better under different conditions, I'll read a specialty magazine like GRM.

What could potentially make a good car show with both enthusiast and mass appeal, would be like a reality show following around young aspiring racers. Maybe some people racing in the MX-5 cup or something like that with a ladder up to the big time. Follow their races, how their personal life has to adapt to them following their dream, see them ragged and working hard fixing stuff on their car at an enduro.

failboat
failboat Reader
7/15/11 1:14 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: Man, does anyone else want to dropkick that salt and peppered Car Salesmen of a host? Forgot his name already

Im not too fond of him. In comparison I kind of like Salley.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
7/15/11 4:34 p.m.

I have a wonderful idea - let's let Adam PRODUCE a car show instead of star in a car show. That gives us the advantages of his supposed enthusiasm for cars, his supposed knowledge of cars, & his high profile reputation to help attract money.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
7/15/11 5:56 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: I have a wonderful idea - let's let Adam PRODUCE a car show instead of star in a car show. That gives us the advantages of his supposed enthusiasm for cars, his supposed knowledge of cars, & his high profile reputation to help attract money.

Yeah but that makes too much sense.

I was hoping The Car Show was going to be like a video version of his podcast.

MrMook
MrMook New Reader
7/18/11 12:23 p.m.
Taiden wrote: I was hoping The Car Show was going to be like a video version of his podcast.

^^This.

Ok, so I just watched the first episode on Hulu. I know it will get better, but I was disappointed. 0-60, the Gameshow, and the forced and awkward transitions are lame. I know that stuff will get smoother, but I don't want them to. Ditch those filler segments, and focus on car stuff.

I want Adam on a dirty couch (genuinely dirty, not "hollywood set-design" dirty) with Professor Ganz, just bull****ing (unscripted) about a few chosen topics. Candid conversation, no telepromters. I mean, they had to script in Adam's schtick phrases ("Don't ever correct me on camera"), and also scripted in nerdy tech talk ("Holley double-pumper") that usually just comes up in conversation in a more genuine way.

Lemons Segment: Awesome they covered LeMons, but again, it felt forced. And their commentary seemed like a bunch of "non car-guys". The car had no headlights....so what, it's a race car, not a road-going family car. I was hoping they'd actually build a car and enter the competition, not show up, buy one, and stand around it making jokes. A running project car would be awesome, but it's clear that their hands will not be as dirty as the LeMons dude that sold them the car. They seemed surprised that the guy actually had dirty hands, and they were pretty clean anyway. Looked like he might have moved some tires from one side of the garage to the other.

Standing Mile Drags with GT3: Race a plane? Nope. Top Gear never did that. Supercars are great, but again, i'd rather see them run something they built instead of an out-of-the-box promo car for the show. And he kept commenting on drag slowing him down....so take the wing off on the second run! It's a shame they just show up and do a segment, instead of actually participating in the event. If they were invested in doing a fast run, they would have tweaked the car, and actually tried for it. Put all that car knowledge to use instead of throwing money at hollywood stunts.

Rolls segment: Meh. Not a car-guys car. I tolerate Top Gear luxury segments because they're British, but Adam: Don't waste my time ;)

All in all Trying too much to be mainstream. Why make another other-Top Gear, when you could make a true Adam Carolla car show. It's clear to me that the producers are "forcing" the show to fit a mold. I'd much prefer a more "independent" production without all the glitz and glam. Basically, the CarCast podcast with cameras and a build-budget.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
7/18/11 12:51 p.m.

Watched the show this weekend (I love "On Demand" from Comcast). Can't say I'll be watching another episode, definitely not what I was hoping for. I was ready to turn it off after the first few segments, but forced myself to give it a chance and watch it all the way through.

None of the hosts really seem like car guys. The blond haired guy seems to know some, but looks and sounds like he belongs in a used car lot flashing his pearly whites. John Salley looked like a fish out of water. The 24 Hours of Lemons was a great idea, but too much fluff/junk/forced comedy. The rest of the show seemed to go that way. Lots of comedy "shtick". I'll check out bits and pieces of new episodes to see if they change it, but as it is now, I'm pretty disappointed.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/18/11 6:44 p.m.
Taiden wrote: Now that I think about it, I believe Salley is supposed to be the 'every day guy' of the crew. I think that if he gets comfortable and they stop ragging on him hardcore he will work quite nicely.

While I'm not happy that he knows nothing about cars, it's good to have a guy play the straight man in the situation. He's like the control in the experiment.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
7/18/11 7:07 p.m.
MrMook wrote:
Taiden wrote: I was hoping The Car Show was going to be like a video version of his podcast.
^^This. Ok, so I just watched the first episode on Hulu. I know it will get better, but I was disappointed. 0-60, the Gameshow, and the forced and awkward transitions are lame. I know that stuff will get smoother, but I don't want them to. Ditch those filler segments, and focus on car stuff. I want Adam on a dirty couch (genuinely dirty, not "hollywood set-design" dirty) with Professor Ganz, just bull****ing (unscripted) about a few chosen topics. Candid conversation, no telepromters. I mean, they had to script in Adam's schtick phrases ("Don't ever correct me on camera"), and also scripted in nerdy tech talk ("Holley double-pumper") that usually just comes up in conversation in a more genuine way. Lemons Segment: Awesome they covered LeMons, but again, it felt forced. And their commentary seemed like a bunch of "non car-guys". The car had no headlights....so what, it's a race car, not a road-going family car. I was hoping they'd actually build a car and enter the competition, not show up, buy one, and stand around it making jokes. A running project car would be awesome, but it's clear that their hands will not be as dirty as the LeMons dude that sold them the car. They seemed surprised that the guy actually had dirty hands, and they were pretty clean anyway. Looked like he might have moved some tires from one side of the garage to the other. Standing Mile Drags with GT3: Race a plane? Nope. Top Gear never did that. Supercars are great, but again, i'd rather see them run something they built instead of an out-of-the-box promo car for the show. And he kept commenting on drag slowing him down....so take the wing off on the second run! It's a shame they just show up and do a segment, instead of actually participating in the event. If they were invested in doing a fast run, they would have tweaked the car, and actually tried for it. Put all that car knowledge to use instead of throwing money at hollywood stunts. Rolls segment: Meh. Not a car-guys car. I tolerate Top Gear luxury segments because they're British, but Adam: Don't waste my time ;) All in all Trying too much to be mainstream. Why make another other-Top Gear, when you could make a true Adam Carolla car show. It's clear to me that the producers are "forcing" the show to fit a mold. I'd much prefer a more "independent" production without all the glitz and glam. Basically, the CarCast podcast with cameras and a build-budget.
bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
7/19/11 8:00 a.m.

I liked that it was less scripted and off the cuff, but it wasn ot as cinematically interesting, i like TG challeneges etc... adam dominated too much and tried to ohard, but ill keep watching

failboat
failboat Reader
7/21/11 6:48 p.m.

So.......how about that episode #2

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
7/21/11 6:50 p.m.

Much better, got rid of the useless quiz and the show flowed a lot better.

Matt is quite a find IMHO

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
7/21/11 8:33 p.m.

I fast forwarded through most of the show.....zzzzzzzz. Watched 0-60 and then some of the ferrari drive. Skipped the TGesque scripted 'race', skipped the learn to drive stick segment. Still have a season pass on the tivo, but my interest is seriously waning.

nderwater
nderwater Dork
7/21/11 11:01 p.m.

Like the first episode, they wasted way too much time on the gameshow segment. And enough with the misogyny already, particularly when the girls are standing right on stage. It's just not funny.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
7/21/11 11:12 p.m.

They managed to lose my wife with the sexist crap, and she is a major "car guy" (vintage racer, last car was a Vette, knows what a torque wrench is and how to use it!).

Lost me with the sophomoric "humor" and yet another TG ripoff segment. Now I remember why I find Carolla unbearable. I'm taking it off the DVR schedule.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
7/21/11 11:27 p.m.

Car shows are like car movies. They're usually only watchable because they're about cars.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
7/21/11 11:31 p.m.

So it looks like it didn't get any better huh? Oh well.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
7/21/11 11:31 p.m.

The closest thing I've found to a good 'car show' is Pickers.

Josh
Josh Dork
7/22/11 12:42 a.m.

So are we supposed to violently hate Dan Neil, or was that just a natural side effect of his presence? I'd already had enough of him in print, but this show takes it to another level :). I like Matt, I agree Carolla needs to tone down the abrasiveness of his persona, but to some extent that's just Adam being Adam :). I'm an avowed if not overly enthusiastic fan of his work, less so the Man Show and more so Loveline, The Hammer, Adam Carolla Project and the radio show/podcast. I think Salley would work a lot better in the mix without Neil, because then we wouldn't have the car nerd intimidating the least car-guy of the group into silence. Salley could be entertaining if he wasn't left behind by the direction of the conversation. I mean, everyone loves top gear, and the only time they ever get into hard core automotive industry/policy nerdery is when there's a British politician on and they argue with him over road taxes or whatever.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
7/22/11 6:10 a.m.

Oh, I finally figured out why Smalley is there-- Adam needed a laugh track for his jokes.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
7/22/11 8:31 a.m.
Josh wrote: I mean, everyone loves top gear,

I do not, and this new show seems to be trying to be a carbon copy rip off of that show, that's why I'm not liking it so far.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qmqOn5PjrxLjhFmKZ8gwCPPmRfW3d2b2bobQZNr5iEVzxExWpBRKYVgo2ZdCC4Gz