1 2 3
stroker
stroker UltraDork
9/5/18 8:46 a.m.

What's the best value in ground (or whole bean) retail coffee for taste v cost?

Go.

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
9/5/18 8:51 a.m.

8 o clock whole bean. Regular or Italian roast, or preferably 50/50.

Cheap, tasty, easy to find. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/5/18 8:52 a.m.

If you have a decent grinder, the best value is probably whatever light roast whole bean you find at a reasonably upscale grocery store. Schnucks used to have a decent one if you have them near you. They also had the Thomas brand, which was very good for the cost. 

Careful not to get into it though. Very easy to turn into a snob.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/5/18 9:47 a.m.

I like Chock full O' Nuts.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
9/5/18 9:51 a.m.

Cafe Bustello   espresso grind.

Enjoy your coffee, caffeine is no longer my friend.

psteav
psteav Dork
9/5/18 9:53 a.m.

Well, since your in Central MO, Fretboard and Shortwave are both amazing local roasters.  Neither is cheap.  

I am not a coffee snob by any stretch of the imagination.  I actually like the Wal-Mart store brand "Donut Shop", which is a knockoff of Dunkin Donuts.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/5/18 10:17 a.m.

I've been pretty happy with whatever dark roast whole beans my wife brings me from Costco in 2.5 lb. bags.  Currently working on a bag of Rwandan.  Great coffee, great value.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
9/5/18 10:24 a.m.

It's a matter of taste, but as psteav gets toward, it's probably a matter of finding what's good near you...

For big brands, I quite like Peet's, though I'm not sure whether they're national.

My favorite is a roaster about 100 miles away from me in Springfield, OR called Cafeto, who do really good, dark French and Italian roasts. But I imagine they're small enough that I'm pleasantly surprised I can get it in Portland.

I loathe the recent trend toward very light roasts, but again, it's a matter of taste.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
9/5/18 10:31 a.m.

If I’m using a drip machine, I like Folgers. For my Keurig I tend to get Wegmans Breakfast Blend cups. I also have stockpiles of Starbucks whole bean and cold brew kits because my wife works there as a second job and gets free coffee every week. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/5/18 10:38 a.m.

costco kirkland brand roasted by starbucks..

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
9/5/18 10:45 a.m.

I daily the Aldi's house brand coffee. It's good enough for me.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
9/5/18 10:56 a.m.
psteav said:

I actually like the Wal-Mart store brand "Donut Shop", which is a knockoff of Dunkin Donuts.  

Kroger has this as well. It's what I get for my Keurig at work.

Folgers in the drip maker at home.

Not a snob, but the Keurig makes it tough to enjoy some of the coffee being served out there.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/5/18 10:58 a.m.

My go-to is Cafe Bustelo 'espresso style' ground coffee.  I get the bricks from Aldi or Publix for under $3.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
9/5/18 11:33 a.m.

Man, I miss living living in a place that has more culture than generic white bread. I turned into a coffee snob after I found a local roasting place that sold 100% Kona whole bean coffee. Sure, it was almost $20 a pound but I have never had coffee that amazing since. A co-worker had a French press and was also a coffee snob. She and I made many trips to that roasting store to stock our coffee bar, which consisted of the two of us. Man, that made a drug addiction seem cheap.

That little roasting place even had an awesome name:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/5/18 12:00 p.m.

Does Kahlua count?

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
9/5/18 12:08 p.m.

Ive been on a Dominican and Haitian coffee kick for the past year or so, ever since I visited the DR.

Go tos are Singing Rooster https://singingrooster.org/ and Santo Domingo.  Both are readily available off Amazon.  

Seems none of the big boys have Haitian or Dominican coffee as part of their regular line up, which is a shame.  

cdowd
cdowd Dork
9/5/18 12:21 p.m.

Bustelo here as well.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
9/5/18 12:24 p.m.

After years of doing strictly local roasters I have been on a Lavazza Perfetto kick.

Often on sale and if you buy two bags at my local store the machine spits out a $2 off coupon.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
9/5/18 12:33 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

I daily the Aldi's house brand coffee. It's good enough for me.

A second for the Aldi house brand.   

t25torx
t25torx Dork
9/5/18 12:37 p.m.

I do the Kroger brand Columbian or French Roast. Both have plenty of flavor when I use them in my french press. I don't want to get into grinding my own, I feel it's a rabbit hole I wouldn't come back from.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/5/18 12:44 p.m.

This is what I drink at home. I've had a hard time finding it in the States lately. The last order came out of England. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/5/18 1:45 p.m.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/5/18 1:52 p.m.

Waffle house 

dunruhroy
dunruhroy New Reader
9/5/18 1:55 p.m.
mtn said:

Careful not to get into it though. Very easy to turn into a snob.

Already there

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
9/5/18 2:35 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lNwWgtOUe22ERFgkkui6afqQYLAgbDDC096pKXT8W6VsUlL37SqZ3Gyiuv5wQYm5