1 2 3 4
logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/5/18 2:48 p.m.
Aaron_King said:
Indy-Guy said:

I daily the Aldi's house brand coffee. It's good enough for me.

A second for the Aldi house brand.   

Third! (just like safety)

I am a big fan of the Aldi whole bean coffees.  I usually grab the Peru one.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
9/5/18 2:57 p.m.

Dave Stewart, of Stewart brothers coffee aka Seattle's best before they sold to starbux, runs his own place called Vista Clara coffee. He ships anywhere, all their beans sell for 7.50/lb, many many varieties and they are all very fresh and dee lish. He's a really nice feller as well.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
9/5/18 5:13 p.m.

My mind automatically goes to this scene in Pulp Fiction:

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
9/5/18 5:19 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

I used to drink copious amounts of the Lavazza Santa Marta, then all the stores around me stopped carrying it.

Best bargin brand I've found so far is the Sam's Club Members Mark Premium Ground stuff. 2.5lbs for $15 bucks is pretty solid.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy SuperDork
9/5/18 5:20 p.m.

I still find Seattle's Best (cheapest on the shelf here) to be the best bang for the buck. House Blend. But I'm no gourmand.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/5/18 6:44 p.m.

This thread is the perfect reminder of why I will never own a coffee shop again. 

It was the most fun I’ve ever had losing a crapload of money. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
9/5/18 8:03 p.m.
SVreX said:

This thread is the perfect reminder of why I will never own a coffee shop again. 

It was the most fun I’ve ever had losing a crapload of money. 

So you've never owned a racecar?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/5/18 8:32 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

Haha!

I lost a LOT more in a coffee business than all my race cars combined. 

Both are fun. 

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
9/5/18 8:54 p.m.
Jay_W said:

Dave Stewart, of Stewart brothers coffee aka Seattle's best before they sold to starbux, runs his own place called Vista Clara coffee. He ships anywhere, all their beans sell for 7.50/lb, many many varieties and they are all very fresh and dee lish. He's a really nice feller as well.

Well the price on the website is $8.49/lb, but that still is a pretty fair price.  Shipping hurts a bit, but I'm gonna try some of this.  Thanks for the recommendation!  Ordered 4 lbs of whole bean. One each of the Lake House blend, Signature blend, Costa Rican, and Columbian.  I normally use 8 o'clock Columbian whole bean so hopefully I like at least a couple of these. smiley

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
9/5/18 10:28 p.m.

I like my women like I like my coffee; tied up in a burlap sack and thrown over the back of a donkey.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
9/6/18 5:30 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

This is what I drink at home. I've had a hard time finding it in the States lately. The last order came out of England. 

Instant!?

gonna switch back over to whole bean now that the grinder is here.  Had been using Wegman's Colombian while I was in NoVa.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/6/18 5:37 a.m.

Nuts.com has a fairly wide selection that I've worked through until I found one I really like. They deliver pillow case size bags every now and again and it keeps me happy. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/6/18 5:40 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Some of the non-US instant is pretty decent. I had some good cups of instant coffee in Mexico back in the day and have been unable to replicate it here. My sister says the same thing about instant in Europe, if she can't get the good coffee from her machine at work, the instant she can pick up at the store is in the same category as most of the mid range coffee. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
9/6/18 5:41 a.m.

Green mountain black magic espresso blend is my go-to whole bean coffee. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
9/6/18 5:57 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I had a container of jacobs instant purchased by sponsors prior to our arrival during our last european adventure (on top of drinking it at one of the british simulators I worked at)... maybe there was some user error... but I've just learned it's not my... er cuppa.  i need more body . so i made sure to bring a camping drip-brew and filters for until our first shipment of stuff arrived with french-press/water kettle/grinder

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/6/18 8:02 a.m.

It is taking all my will power to not post some smartass remark about a horrible drink made with ground beans, or addiction...

Oops.  I failed.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/6/18 9:03 a.m.

Bought some Bustelo this morning for my Keurig.  Estilo Espresso.  This stuff better be good!

psteav
psteav Dork
9/6/18 9:39 a.m.
Crxpilot said:

I like my women like I like my coffee; tied up in a burlap sack and thrown over the back of a donkey.

Marginally  more appropriate than my standard "ground up and stored in the freezer" punchline.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/6/18 9:43 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Bought some Bustelo this morning for my Keurig.  Estilo Espresso.  This stuff better be good!

I'm enjoying my second cup as we speak.  Of course, it's only K-cups because that's what we have at work.  But it's good stuff if you like dark roasts (which I do, exclusively).

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/6/18 3:11 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

If you hate it, I'll pay the shipping for you to send the rest to me laugh

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
9/6/18 3:18 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Cafe Bustello   espresso grind.

Enjoy your coffee, caffeine is no longer my friend.

This.  End thread.

There is a Canadian company called Kick Ass coffee that I have seen down here occassionally.  Good stuff.

My go-tos:

- Green Mountain/Newman's own french roast
- Starbucks Komodo Dragon
- Bustello

jharry3
jharry3 Reader
9/6/18 3:27 p.m.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/7/18 8:00 a.m.

No matter what brand you go with, invest in a decent grinder.  Once coffee is ground, it starts losing flavor fairly rapidly. I'd rather have okay coffee freshly ground than the best coffee ground a week ago.

Burr grinders are great. Blade grinders work perfectly well too.

As far as brands go, I like Peet's (Big Bang is my favorite). Best for the $$$ I've been able to find. I've certainly found better coffees, especially at small local roasters, but it ends up being double the cost for a modest improvement. And the Baroness drinks more coffee than I do and can't taste the difference between roasts and brands because she mixes it up like 1/4 cream. But really, any decent whole bean coffee is good. I've never been disappointed with any house brand.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/7/18 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Amen on the fresh grind!  

I have used this same $15 simple Krups grinder for more than 10 years now (could be 15 years.)  

I like it when I can get bean coffee for $3.99 per 12oz bag. No more than $4.99 per bag.  The Aldi beans like Dougnut Shop or Peru fall in this price.  I keep an eye on sales and 8 O'clock Columbian stays in that price too.  There is a local brand I find at Discount Drug Mart (NE Ohio based chain) named Berardi's Coffee.  These are $6.99 per bag but about every 6 weeks they will have it on sale for bogo making it $3.50.  They have a Hawaiian that  is excellent.  

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/7/18 9:14 a.m.

I guess I’m the oddball that likes stuff like deathwish and black rifle coffee?

Oh well I never was one to completely toe the same line....

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CnSbzMClp4OBJHIA5sR5vd4vo6u6jQNEDbsBlbYdZlMaQ9Zeobl7rfWhpO4PmJsm