1 2 3 4 5
dxman92
dxman92 Dork
3/14/21 1:49 p.m.

I have to give a plug to my local brewery(not around the corner from my house but down the street from work), Tilt em Back Brewing in Chalfont, PA. They have 6-8 offerings on tap at any given time and a third of them right now are darks and German offerings. They have an awesome German alt beer and a great maibock that just came out. They only have one IPA on tap which is nice for a change(no offense but just not a fan). I live within walking distance of four other breweries but will venture here first. They are that good! 

MazdaFace (Forum Supporter)
MazdaFace (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/14/21 8:42 p.m.

Been drinking a few different brews from martin house in fort worth. Space pizza (which literally tastes like pizza, complete with olives and pepperoni flavors). I'll try to post some pictures of the different ones I've tried. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/15/21 7:49 a.m.
MazdaFace (Forum Supporter) said:

Been drinking a few different brews from martin house in fort worth. Space pizza (which literally tastes like pizza, complete with olives and pepperoni flavors).

That sounds disgusting.

One time at a homebrew party when I worked at Northcoast, we made a game of trying to imagine the worst possible beer that we could see someone out there being horrible enough to create. This sounds like something we would have come up with.

MazdaFace (Forum Supporter)
MazdaFace (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/15/21 8:24 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

It was... Interesting. It wasn't necessarily horrible but it wasn't something that I fell in love with. A lot of their stouts are absolutely amazing though, and spacecadet loves their pickle beers. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/15/21 8:46 a.m.

CAUTION! Rant Ahead -

Sounds like 'tapper' beer. Beer designed for someone to get a sample of so they can tick it off and say they drank something new on Untapped.

I think this phenomenon is one of the worst things to happen to craft beer. People are searching for novel and "new" regardless of quality. They want beer that's "interesting" for 3-4 ounces, not enjoyable for several pints. It's the craft beer equivalent of trying to engineer a 6-second pop hook, rather than taking the time to craft an entire song, let alone an album.

I put a lot of effort into producing the best beers I can. My beer design is guided by a philosophy that, "The best beers reward attention, but don't demand it." I make beer that is meant to be drunk 10-16oz.'s at a time. (Was going to say 'by the pint', but I've got a 11%+ beer that drinks like 6%. You *can* sit and drink 2 pints, but then standing up will get interesting.)

We seriously once had someone in the bar complaining to the bartender that my gose wasn't "really a gose" (Short version - I visited *the* gose brewery in Leipzig Germany because one of my classmates was doing his internship there, and I had a conversation with the brewmaster on how he brewed his gose. Mine is modeled after that, only making allowances for shortcuts where he said, "If I wasn't restricted by the stupid German brewing laws, I would just...")

"It's not a great gose... It's not that sour... I've had some *real* super tart imperial goses... This isn't that great..." (Gose in germany is low 4.x% abv and refreshingly lemonade-like tart.)

Bartender looks him dead in the eye and says, "Well, you drank the first two pints fast enough. Would you like a third?"

"Yeah. But it's not that good."

DUDE! I brewed a beer that someone could drink a LITER of and keep wanting to come back for more! That was the POINT!

AHHH!

/rant

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/15/21 9:54 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Sounds like those mango habanero beers... :puke:

If I wanted to drink hot dirt, I'd drink hot dirt.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/15/21 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

People really like to go to the ULTRA XTREMZ, which is why IPAs are so terrible.

I was in line at a Beethoven And Brews ( classical music in a cool theater with beer) and the guys in front of us had this conversation:

" Dude, I really hope they have a few IPAs on tap"

" They have only 4 beers this time, but only 3 are IPAs."

"Dude! WTF! Who drinks anything but IPAs!!?!? Technically anything else isn't beer, I read it and my friend works at a brewery in the Midwest."

" Do you think they'll have ( I couldn't hear what they say so I'm gonna make up a name) Sweaty Rancid Jockstrap Triple Imperial IPA?"

"If they know beer they will. That shiznit is great! First sip I had I had to run to the bathroom and puke. I was able to keep the next few down but I had to go once more. Got back and ordered 2 more. It has REAL flavor"

" I wish they would give us some hops to chew on........."

Beer that makes you vomit, that's the REAL flavor people are looking for!

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
3/15/21 12:47 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

So, I have to ask this: What is your take on Papazian's chicken/rooster beer?

I suspect it falls into that "odd" category as well. It does not sound very tasty, but I am sure someone has made it and claimed it to be the best in the world.

The beers that I like are the ones that I can have more than one of. Every now an again I will try something that is good for most of a pint, then it's time to put it down and walk away. Those are the ones that take a while to clear out of the beer fridge.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/15/21 1:16 p.m.

Years ago (a decade maybe? sheesh) I went to a cask ale tasting in Atlanta. The beer that one was a bacon flavored ale. It was amazing....for about a half a pint. exactly what you're talking about.

One of my favorite styles is a scotch ale, partially because it's a little dark, a little malty, and has the space to develop some great flavors that change as you work through a pint. The style can vary a lot but they tend to be higher in content, which does limit consumption. Monday Night's Drafty Kilt and Founders' Dirty Bastard are both tasty but will hurt you. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/15/21 1:45 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

The drafty kilt is wonderful to drink. Very refreshing.

I heart Founders but after I spoke with the brewmaster at Cedar Springs Brewing, I found they use the same yeast, American 1056 I think, for everything... After that I can almost taste that from cbs to kbs to dirty bastard to unraveled ipa, etc....

3/15/21 2:11 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

Cold Smoke by Kettle House is a good scotch ale, so is Old Chub, give them a shot if you see them.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
3/15/21 3:14 p.m.
Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/15/21 3:18 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

So, I have to ask this: What is your take on Papazian's chicken/rooster beer?

I was unaware of this. ::Just looked it up:: Looks like he isn't taking it too seriously. But that just seems like a silly idea taken from an old brewing manual when people knew NOTHING about the science of brewing.

Also, Papazian is cool and all, but is not nearly as knowledgeable about brewing as he is made out to be. He has promoted some conventional wisdom in the brewing world that is flat wrong.

The beers that I like are the ones that I can have more than one of. Every now an again I will try something that is good for most of a pint, then it's time to put it down and walk away. Those are the ones that take a while to clear out of the beer fridge.

Hence my "reward attention, but don't demand it" philosophy. Reward attention: if you put it in a nice glass, let it warm to the perfect temp, take time and examine it, does it have complex and nuanced flavors that are a joy to explore? Not demand it: if you're hanging out with friends at a barbeque, tailgate, or sporting event, could you put back a couple happily such the beer enhances the experience but doesn't try to make itself the center of attention? Or... could you pair this beer with a good meal? Would it add to the meal but not overpower it? Most macro beers... don't demand but don't reward. I'll happily drink a cold Bud (but not lite) at a game or rock concert, but if I stop and pay attention to the beer, it's just... there. I'm not going to pair it with a nice seared tuna steak, because it won't benefit the meal. Many craft beers DEMAND your attention. They don't want to hang out in the background. They... may or may not offer rich, complex flavors to balance that. I wouldn't pair those beers with a nice ahi tuna steak because it will completely overpower and wreck my palate for enjoying my nice tuna.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/15/21 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Reminds me of this too-accurate sketch: https://youtu.be/KWBV7yKWhWE

What bugs me about IPAs is that I like *some* of them, but that most are going to not be great, and many will be total crap. So when I go to a bar with 50 taps (or whatever) and they have a dozen IPA's, I know I'd probably like *one* of them, but I'm not going to drink my way through the list to find it, when I can drink another style of beer that they've actually put some thought into getting one that's good.

psteav (Forum Supporter)
psteav (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/15/21 4:49 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I think you've got the wrong YouTube link there...that one leads to a guy testing vacuum tubes with a multimeter.

3/15/21 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Up here it would be about 40 IPAs out of 50 taps sadly. I'm really into stouts and porters, usually I'm lucky if there's 2.

I get what you are saying totally though. I usually drink scotch but when I drink beer it's like.....one so I want something that's pretty damn good. I'm definitely not the guy that drinks a 12 pack of whatever. 

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/15/21 6:10 p.m.

Ex Novo has a really good pilsner called Pearle Haggard if y'all can get it. The Portland brewery can ship to Oregon and California. I'm not sure where their New Mexico one can ship. 

Living here in Portland has really been eye opening for different kinds of beer. We have everything from your typical IPA heavy breweries, to a 100% german beer one, to a 100% sours one. I didn't know how good a pilsner or a lager could be until I moved up here. And I hadn't heard of a gose at all. Turns out they're one of my favorite summer beers. 

Good beer is so ubiquitous here that I have to stop myself from unintentionally being "that guy" when I leave town and try to order something fancy. 

3/15/21 6:18 p.m.

Portland was good for craft beer definitely. Deschutes Black Butte Porter is my go-to and we went to Deschutes for lunch. Had Abita Purple Haze for the first time at a restaurant in Portland too which I enjoyed greatly.

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/15/21 6:22 p.m.

Meet Porter. Named after Black Butte Porter.

3/15/21 6:38 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) :

Great name and a pretty good beer too

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/16/21 6:42 a.m.
psteav (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

I think you've got the wrong YouTube link there...that one leads to a guy testing vacuum tubes with a multimeter.

Ooops. That was for a conversation with my dad...

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/KWBV7yKWhWE

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/16/21 6:50 a.m.

Black Butte Porter is one of my favorites (wich they had it here), and that is a great name for a dog.

Be careful. They're coming for the stouts too.

Couple years back, middle of winter, I went into a World of Beer and wanted a stout.

"Can I get a stout? Just... a stout other than Guinness. Dry, American, Oatmeal, or anything like that, all good. No chocolate, vanilla, coffee, or anything like that added. Not barrel aged. Just a stout."

Bartender: "Uh. Do you prefer coffee or chocolate?"

"Neither. I want a stout. Just a stout."

It took about 10 minutes and three bartenders to eventually pull a bottle of Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. That was apparently the only just-a-stout that World of Beer had.

3/16/21 9:39 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I hope we will still get good stouts. I don't mind a chocolate or such stout sometimes but like.....oyster stouts? WTF

Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) MegaDork
3/16/21 10:19 p.m.

I cracked a can of Fortnight porter and it is way over carbonated. It started growing a head out of the can when I opened it and I got about 2 ounces of beer into the very clean standard pint glass and the head that resulted filled the glass the rest of the way.

It tastes fine, and I'm certainly going to drink it anyhow since I have four crackers and some cheese to go with it, but something went off during the canning process.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
3/17/21 1:10 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

Methinks thou dost protest too much. Perhaps you've got a shelf in your fridge devoted to these: 

...Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
srlw05Tiq06KNFwMjgw9JaIuPGCqv9v038vHZHUGvxXOSzkAykIOHxGvkEzoxzSS