Beer Baron MegaDork
3/22/21 11:01 a.m.

In reply to danevilas033 :

I like beer in a canoe.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
3/24/21 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

I didn't realize you were also in the Seattle Area. I enjoy Carin, I think it's the best of the Kenmore area breweries (well, pre-pandemic at least).  I also like Chainline just a bit further south from you.  I'm over closer to Ballard/Fremont so have lots of choices.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
6/5/21 2:55 p.m.

A delightfully refreshing blonde ale, named in honor of our local float plane operator, which happens to be  celebrating 75 years in business.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
6/5/21 3:05 p.m.

In reply to LifeIsStout :

Sorry I missed your comment. Yes, we're in Kenmore, so Cairn is our closest 'go to' for good local brewing. Definitely the best in the immediate area. I also like how they do collaborations with Micro Homebrew, using recipes that anybody can try making themselves.

We'll have to check out Chainline some time when we're in Kirkland. Thanks for the recommendation. In that area we were impressed by Malesteom, which we need to hit again sometime. Triplehorn in Woodinville is also another go-to for us... I love their Mystic, when it's available.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/1/21 9:10 p.m.

Just had this, I'm a big fan

8/4/21 9:11 a.m.

Never had a Honey Porter before but it's pretty damn good

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
9/18/21 7:21 p.m.

Belgian strong golden. Oh my... Heaven in a glass. Going back for a CO2 pressurized growler fill.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/18/21 9:42 p.m.

We had decided with some of ours that we would get together this weekend, but hadn't figured out whose house we would meet at. So, I prepared by buying some beer in case they came here. 

One of my favorites, Krankshaft Kolsch by Metropolitan Brewing in Chicago. 

We ended up going to their house, and so we were drinking their beer... which was another Kolsche, from Solemn Oath. It was easily as good as the Krankshaft. 

Gary
Gary UltraDork
9/19/21 6:46 p.m.

I was in VT for the past week. Had to bring some local beverages home.

I was lucky to get the Heady Toppers. It gets delivered to the liquor stores along Rte. 4 in VT on Wednesday, and gets snapped up immediately. But I got two 4-packs on Saturday.  I'm not a big hop-head. Anything over 40 IBU's is usually off my radar. But what the hell, it's rated #1, so I had to buy some while we're here. Can't get it at home. One 4-pack will go to our son. I'll nurse the remainder over the next day or so. smiley I'm really looking forward to tasting the Whistlepig Rye. That's really popular in VT too.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
9/19/21 9:23 p.m.

I'm no IPA fan either but the Whistlepig is good stuff!

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
9/19/21 9:43 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I love Belgian quads. Not knowing much about brewing beer, why don't more local breweries offer quads?

9/19/21 10:47 p.m.
dyintorace said:
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I love Belgian quads. Not knowing much about brewing beer, why don't more local breweries offer quads?

I'm not sure, but they should.

I can only get that rarely since it's barely ever in stock and $7 a beer when it is. I still buy out the store when I see it though

9/19/21 10:48 p.m.

Tonight's beer is:

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/20/21 6:28 a.m.
dyintorace said:

They tend to take too long to sell through a batch. Being very high ABV, people tend to not drink as much of them. You don't want to end up with a bunch of inventory just sitting forever.

It's not as familiar and sexy as something like an Imperial Stout or Double/Imperial IPA. It's also harder to brew and execute properly than those styles.

Nearly any brewery is going to have to order special yeast for it instead of just being able to reuse their house ale yeast. On top of that, you will probably also have to do some sort of starter batch to get that yeast in shape to handle a beer that big.

If you like Quads, be sure to try St. Bernardus 12. It is the same recipe as the much-lauded Westvleteren 12, and many of the brewers are former monks from that monastery.

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
9/20/21 7:40 a.m.

Mmmmmm... st bernadus abt 12.... drool.

I been buying what sounds good that is at least in state local that is not bells/founders. Bought yesterday:

Very tasty.

9/20/21 11:29 a.m.
Beer Baron said:
dyintorace said:

They tend to take too long to sell through a batch. Being very high ABV, people tend to not drink as much of them. You don't want to end up with a bunch of inventory just sitting forever.

It's not as familiar and sexy as something like an Imperial Stout or Double/Imperial IPA. It's also harder to brew and execute properly than those styles.

Nearly any brewery is going to have to order special yeast for it instead of just being able to reuse their house ale yeast. On top of that, you will probably also have to do some sort of starter batch to get that yeast in shape to handle a beer that big.

If you like Quads, be sure to try St. Bernardus 12. It is the same recipe as the much-lauded Westvleteren 12, and many of the brewers are former monks from that monastery.

I'll definitely look for that

SaxyHero
SaxyHero New Reader
9/20/21 12:25 p.m.

This is my favorite gluten free beer. I've tried alot of gluten free beers and majority of them taste terrible. This one however is a fantastic stout! The chocolate and coffee flavors are blended perfectly so one doesn't power over the other. Down side, I had to have this specially ordered and a case is $90. 

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
9/20/21 12:34 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
dyintorace said:

I was hoping you would chime in. smiley

Your explanation is great and makes sense. As for St. Bernardus Abt 12, it's my go to. I also really like La Trappe but struggle to find it. I also really like Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre but it's impossible to find in Florida. 

SaxyHero
SaxyHero New Reader
9/20/21 12:38 p.m.

This is my other favorite gluten free stout. It has more of a coffee flavors to it but over all pretty darn tasty. They have an IPA too that I didn't think was bad. In my life before being gluten free I didn't much like IPAs so not sure if it was really good or just my desperate desire to have a beer again. Lol

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
9/20/21 12:52 p.m.
Beer Baron said:
dyintorace said:

A follow on question - what's the difference between single, dubbel, tripel and quad?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/20/21 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

St. Bernardus Abt 12 is amazing.

Trappistes Rochefort 10 is also a really really good quad.

I kind of go back and forth between which is my favorite.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
9/20/21 2:05 p.m.
dyintorace said:

A follow on question - what's the difference between single, dubbel, tripel and quad?

Color and strength. Single is blond and lower ABV. Dubbel is dark and medium-high ABV. Tripel is blond and high ABV. Quad is dark and very high ABV.

There's some history behind those conventions, but I'm not confident I know it accurately.

9/21/21 12:05 a.m.

Tonight's beer. I really like it a whole lot, ifyou like Imperial Stouts you should definitely grab this one.

Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/7/21 8:15 p.m.

Holy E36 M3 this is good!

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NZByZ5EOTgho9KUT9KSFOG6sP8eWx81YHGAqPEsBQB9kKNIO1DQ1hnGO7AEJAumI