Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
11/28/22 7:59 p.m.

Yesterday I had some down time and went looking for a documentary to watch.

I had seen some reviews of this movie but dismissed it as something I didn't really care about.  I haven't spent much time learning about land speed record vehicles or drivers and didn't think I would connect with it.

Now that I have seen the film, not only have I gained a ton of respect for Jessi Comb's skills but moreover for her commitment.  She lived her life on full send.

Consider watching the movie.  I suspect that like me you'll be moved.

myf16n
myf16n New Reader
11/28/22 11:58 p.m.

I watched the doc a few weeks ago. I don't disagree with you about Jessi.

I was quite confused about the lack of safety equipment in the 'car'. No rollbar (weight?), no purpose built seat / harness, and the crappy aircraft helmet that provides about as much protection as a bicycle helmet (if it was fitted properly).

I spent 13 years in the military specializing in ejection seats, harnesses, and flight gear. In my opinion, what I saw in the cockpit wasn't appropriate for what she was doing.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
11/29/22 6:31 a.m.

While I wondered about that a bit myself, I think when you are talking 500 mph on land any of that safety equipment is just a humorous nod toward not dying. The only thing that would have saved her was an ejection seat.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
11/29/22 9:25 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

I seem to recall hearing that that thing was well known for having some seriously sketchy engineering though, and that a lot of Bonneville veterans had a strong feeling it was going to crash and kill someone long before it happened.

Hoonigans did one of their A Beer/Brew With interviews with her back in 2017, then released the full-length interview shortly after her death. That was a pretty cool interview. 

I miss Hoonigan's ABW. They would get automotive celebrities (Jessi Combs, Mike Kojima, Rhys Millen, Vaughn Gittin Jr., B.J. Baldwin), get a few of their favorite drinks in them, and then ask them all sorts of questions. Some were about their motorsports career, some were about their personal life, some were just weird inane questions. The one with Bill Caswell was a riot. He drank the entire 12-pack of PBR that they provided by about the halfway point of their interview, then pulled out a second 12-pack that he had brought himself and hid under the table, and then worked his way through that. And he was completely coherent through it all and didn't really seem inebriated at any point.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/29/22 12:34 p.m.

We had a discussion about this a few weeks back: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/jesse-combs/208134/page1/

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 HalfDork
11/29/22 10:37 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

I missed that on the main forum.  Now that I've read it, I think I'm glad this one has remained civil.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
11/30/22 12:41 a.m.

There is a really nice memorial to her at Alvord hot springs next to the dry lake bed she did her run in. I don't know much about the car, and I know other speed runs have been done there but having spent some time in that mudflat, I do know it wouldn't be my first choice of venue for high speed record breaking. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
11/30/22 12:46 a.m.

In reply to Loweguy5 :

Give it a bit...

Our Preferred Partners
jYhssvP80JH79lAYTYmreEEIRFzmF5cXgVSONsFr2o1l0xpzD4YmaIXFrDeEaBh2