Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
9/26/19 10:22 a.m.

I love an undersized combo.  It makes the fight more about skill.  I was bass fishing a couple years ago in the lake and hooked into a 21-lb pike... on my creek trout rig which is a 5' ultralight with a TX1000 reel and 4 lb test line.  Took a good 15 minutes to get him in.  I would let him take most of the line on drag and when I started seeing the spool I would tighten the drag and hope.  Then I'd loosen the drag and get him in part way and; repeat.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
9/28/19 8:09 p.m.

Girl-spawn got a channel catfish this evening. 

I got one, too.

SWMBO carried a chair down, read a book and took pictures.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/5/20 8:06 p.m.

Risked parking in an unusual spot 1.88 miles from my house and climbing down a steep grade in order to avoid any humans to get an hour of fishing in. It wasn't a waste of time- I got an alright bowfin and two shad.

The fish left the water by itself during a berserk thrash when I was trying to get the hook out. I don't usually have them in the sand.

5 gallon gear bucket/seat for scale.

former520
former520 HalfDork
4/5/20 10:09 p.m.

Nothing caught, but a nice day responsibly social distancing.  

NBraun
NBraun Reader
4/13/20 4:53 p.m.

First decent channel cat of the year, and about a 18" Pike.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) MegaDork
4/27/20 9:21 a.m.

Hit a tiny creek for some tiny fish. The draw of this place is that it isn't a park or greenway, so nobody really goes here. We were out for 90 minutes and only saw two other people- and they were walking in as we were driving off in our car.

Girl-Spawn caught one fish, then decided to soak her feet.

I got five different species of sunfish. This green sunfish is fairly representative of all of them. We were using a Tenkara method, or, as people on a budget call it, a cane pole. What is the difference between Tenkara and a cane pole?  Hundreds of dollars, and pretty much nothing else. The cane pole method is great for an overgrown, shallow creek like this. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/26/20 10:14 p.m.

Largemouth bass,  locally known as a green bass on the Shiwassee river  byron Michigan 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/26/20 10:18 p.m.

Chris d with a smallmouth bass locally known as the black bass on the Shiawassee river . This was the most spectacular catch today.  Chris was using a hula popper as soon as it hit the surface the bass hit it from the water and walking on its tail all the way across the pool

7/26/20 10:22 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden :

Good fish!

I bet more bass have been taken from a jon boat than any other kind of boat. Especially on little water like that. I'd be using a floating jointed Rapala in that water. It might not be the best lure for the given day, but any hit on it would be exciting!

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/26/20 10:55 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) :

Yup the wounded minnow is deadly.  I used small panther Martin's and kastmaster spoons mostly today. Chris used a new  heddon torpedo  today and caught a fish on its first cast all told we landed 50 or 60 fish today. We were on the river  about 7 hours  wading about 6 hours. The boat carried the cooler and the tackle 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/26/20 11:33 p.m.

My friend was cleaning out the cabinets in the garage, these were taped inside the doors. He was living in Minnesota at the time I sent them to him.

From about 1995. Winter Sheepshead fishing out of the Suwannee River.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/27/20 1:07 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Stunning fish. We catch the freshwater versions in the Great Lakes. How do you cook them?

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/27/20 6:45 a.m.

I'd really like to be better at catching fish. I like fishing but I think I don't do it enough to develop any sort of technique. 

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
7/28/20 4:11 p.m.

I have been doing a lot of fly fishing lately. I got my first chain pickerel yesterday.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/28/20 9:13 p.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd really like to be better at catching fish. I like fishing but I think I don't do it enough to develop any sort of technique. 

Go out with a guide at local spots a few times. Learn some techniques. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/28/20 10:54 p.m.
pilotbraden said:

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Stunning fish. We catch the freshwater versions in the Great Lakes. How do you cook them?

I think the only similarity with the freshwater fish is the name. These are actually a type of porgy. 

Cook them however you like. Breaded and fried, baked, poached, etc. They're really good. 

8/15/20 7:01 p.m.

We still went to the beach this year. Since we believe in physical distancing, there wasn't much to do other than stargaze and go fishing, since the rule when fishing is: "If I can cast and hit you, you're too close."

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
8/15/20 7:40 p.m.

This month is four years since the family had to sell my favorite fishing spot, my grandparent's house.  

It was on Merritt Island, between the Indian and Banana Rivers.  When these pics were taken the fish were still running, but for the last two years we owned it the fertilizer run off was so bad upstream that the grass died and the ecosystem just collapsed.  We weren't able to pull anything but baitfish out of the rivers.

I stopped fishing when Grandpop died, and didn't really start again until I met my wife.  Other than going on charters with friends I haven't really fished since we sold the place.  My idea of heaven includes a lot of that place.

This was a good weekend there

And an 8 year old me with a berkeleying awesome shirt

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
8/24/20 9:23 a.m.

On the Kalamazoo river downstream from Albion Michigan yesterday 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
9/20/20 1:06 p.m.

Went fishing today, sadly I didn't go catching.  Still, was a damn nice day to be out by the water.  

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa SuperDork
10/19/20 11:55 a.m.

Caught a lizard fish and a pinfish.  Tried to use the pinfish for something bigger, little guy got bit in half, but the hook didn't set.

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee PowerDork
11/24/21 8:30 p.m.

Drug the kayak out to Tampa bay for a bit to clear my head. First time catching a flounder. Apparently I found a group of em or I just figured it out finally. Half dozen between 10" and 16". No pictures of the lady fish or stingray. All artificial. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
11/25/21 1:37 a.m.

Oh, snap. I didn't post this story.

I live in NC. Most of my family is up in New England and way upstate NY. They spend their time catching trout, smallmouth and bass, but for the past few years I've been hosting my sister and BIL at the beach during the summer. I've caught several sharks (one of which was even really big) during these trips, but my sister hadn't managed to. So, she added "Catch a shark" to her bucket list. 

She got one this past summer. The photo doesn't show it, but she was giggling like an idiot and shaking like a leaf when the picture was taken.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/25/21 5:01 p.m.

I wanted to catch a smallish catfish for eating and set up under a bridge near the house. I threw out line with a 3 way swivel and a bank sinker with the hook trailing some worms. No dice but I did land a nice large mouth bass with a rooster tail I was casting around while waiting for a catfish. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
11/25/21 11:54 p.m.
dculberson said:

I did land a nice large mouth bass with a rooster tail I was casting around while waiting for a catfish. 

That looks like a smallmouth to me- with the mouth closed,it doesn't look like the back of the lips would extend past the eye.

That makes the catch more impressive, though. Smallmouth tend to be smaller overall that largemouth.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DxfinXDuHZy0KgREbli09fLMQY2eH4Q4jjXxAzpFkn7oWzDGbQVjQemoXHxj5hsk