1 2 3 4
JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/23/13 1:38 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: In reply to Lesley: I let the little shark go, of course.

Wrong answer. You were supposed to say, "I took the shark home to put in a large aquarium, after putting frikking lasers on his head, of course."

Wicked Lasers creates Doctor Evil’s dream shark

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
1/23/13 2:35 p.m.

I'm a terrible fisherman. Wasn't always that way, my dad used to take me fishing early every weekend morning when we lived in MN, catfish and sunfish.

Ever since I moved out here to Cali (and lived within a 20 min drive to the ocean the entire time I've been here) I've barely caught anything. It was so bad I took many years off and just started back up again this past summer just as another way to spend time with my 10 year old, hoping to learn how to properly fish out here. Even took a chartered fishing boat out to the islands and came back skunked. Oh well. On piers and from the surf my son and I have caught a handful of fish, mostly barred surfperch on gulp camo.

ScottyB
ScottyB New Reader
1/23/13 3:10 p.m.

love fishing! nice fish in here guys. i'm more of a freshwater guy but any time we're at the beach i can't stay away from the surf with a rod in hand.

my grandfathers spent much of their free time taking me spin fishing in local lakes and rivers when i was little, and then in my teenage years i branched out and fell in love with flyfishing for trout as well which has really become my main passion (mostly in VA, NC, and GA). hell, i even met my wife through flyfishing. point me to where the mountain laurel are growing thick and i'm a seriously happy dude.

the worst dilemma for me on a nice weekend in the spring or fall is to have to decide between a fishing trip or a motorsports event. hate to say it here, but most of the time fishing wins, especially because the wifey wants to have fun too

its tough to find time to get out to western NC. so far i've only ever had a chance to get into the Davidson and East Prong Roaring. i'd really love to get after some brookies though. from the East Prong last year:

Davidson the year prior:

this is my grandfather's old postwar bamboo rod. after he passed years ago it was passed on to me and i finally had a chance to start using it. its a big, chunky thing with a really slow action but its just really graceful to cast with. i thought about just putting it up on the wall to admire and keep it safe, but i've decided to sack up and enjoy putting it to use, hopefully this year.

i got a weird urge to try flounder fishing this year while on vacation. we usually just chuck squid at the pinfish and croakers. picked up some Berkley Gulps and jigheads and had a blast. its all i want to do when we surf fish anymore, mostly because i love to eat flounder. can't believe i waited this long to try it. caught a couple just like that and a 15 incher my wife caught just behind where the surf was crashing. that one tasted great with some pasta!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
1/25/13 12:15 a.m.

Scotty! I've been itching to get out to the western part of the state and try the trout fishing there. I love trout fishing, even if I use spinning gear

Let me know if you want to hit the coast sometime, I'm always looking for somebody to go with me- the ride from Raleigh down there is BORING.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
4/22/13 8:46 p.m.

I managed to get out this past weekend and managed one fish. Considering I was at a small local creek and the water was running high, I'll take it.

PS: in case anybody asks, it is a bowfin. I don't know why the eye-spot is bleeding, either.

curtis73
curtis73 UltraDork
4/22/13 10:48 p.m.

I'm headed up to northern PA this weekend for some fly fishing. I even bought waders that don't leak for once.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
4/23/13 12:42 p.m.

I am headed to northern Michigan for the opening day of trout season this weekend. Midnight of the 27th I will be fishing holes near bridges with salted minnows.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
4/23/13 12:54 p.m.

Damn you guys you are making me want to go fishing! I need to break out my gear and get my years licence.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/23/13 2:03 p.m.

E36 M3. Having grown up in South Florida, the only part about living in North Georgia that sucks is the lack of Saltwater. Freshwater just ain't the same.

I try to get my fix at least once a year. First trip to SC last year - Didn't catch E36 M3, but did teach my nephews how to throw a cast net, which they LOVED, so they'd catch my bait while I drank beer Crappy cell pics:

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
4/23/13 2:09 p.m.

October trip last year. Just me, mama, & baby this time. I was accused at one point of being Homer Simpson, going after General Sherman. Caught bait on the beach every day as the tide was rolling in. Fish in a barrel. Gave some away....then, ever the entrepreneur, started selling it Caught enough shrimp to make appetizers one night. Went out with a guide. Caught 3 reds, all outside the slot. You'll have to trust that I've got my GRM shirt on, as the bigass fish is in the way

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
4/23/13 3:04 p.m.

That is a nice red, Poop.

I'm going to be down chasing after them as soon as the water warms up a bit more.

I've also been debating getting a small cast net and teaching my son (9 years old) how to throw it. The net I use is still way to big for him.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
4/23/13 3:06 p.m.

Oh, in other news, thank you Shimano for putting your reel schematics online.

I picked up a rear drag Spirex 2500 to use as a poor-man's bait runner and the anti-reverse decided to die on me. The problem was identified as a small spring made out of pixie hair that had popped lose. It works fine now that I've reattached it.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/23/13 3:10 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: That is a nice red, Poop. I'm going to be down chasing after them as soon as the water warms up a bit more. I've also been debating getting a small cast net and teaching my son (9 years old) how to throw it. The net I use is still way to big for him.

Thanks man! Do it!!! Hell, I had more fun just being in the water, throwing the net than I did fishing last time. Wish I would've gotten into more shrimp. I'd just see one jump, or kick one every now and then, and get 'em with the net one at a time.

I think mine's a 6-footer(?) The two older kids (9 and 11 at the time,) did REALLY good with it. It had been almost 15 years since I'd thrown it. Thought it would be like riding a bike, and it DEFINITELY wasn't. Did a quick Youtube search and started throwing it this way...which is how I taught the boys to throw it. Way different than how I learned, but it works well, and it's FAST:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUkj2h2LjI

I REALLY want to make a gig and go gigging for flounder next time...and I think next time needs to be a guys' long weekend.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
4/23/13 3:36 p.m.

Throwing the net is loads of fun. I was scooping up small 4" pompano like crazy last year on the beach. Too small to do anything with, sadly. One time, I got a freckled or spotted crab in there. That was a mess.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
4/23/13 3:50 p.m.

I just saw your link. I use a different throwing method- I don't want to put my nasty, dirty net in my mouth at all.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/23/13 5:55 p.m.

I ain't scurred. I eat sushi. Lil salt & muck never killed anybody.

xd
xd Reader
4/23/13 10:51 p.m.

I finally got my new grassroots boat all setup. 10.5 foot sevylor fish master some swivel seats, trolling motor, battery and some horrible looking paddles and a fish finder all for the princely sum of 125 dollars. I am liking this setup better then last years as in it all fits in my jeep. No need for a trailer, boat launch or roads for that matter. Last year I just had an aluminum flat bottom and an old Johnson 5 horse it was a total pain in the ass to launch and limited on what water I could go on.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/23/13 11:10 p.m.

AWESOME!!! I have to laugh at the fly-fishing guys up here, whose clothes and gear cost more than most cars I've ever owned...all to catch a berkeleyin trout, which is a glorified mullet if you ask me.

Homeboy across the street from my shop sells 5-figure flyrods. No bullE36 M3. To catch berkeleying trout.

ScottyB
ScottyB New Reader
4/24/13 1:48 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Scotty! I've been itching to get out to the western part of the state and try the trout fishing there. I love trout fishing, even if I use spinning gear Let me know if you want to hit the coast sometime, I'm always looking for somebody to go with me- the ride from Raleigh down there is *BORING*.

spin fishing for trout!?

so...uncivilized. - in all seriousness, if I can ever find the time any more with a 4 month old in my life now...I'll let you know. I love getting out in the mountains to chase trout, and half the fun is finding the twistiest lines on the map to get there. just bought a new pair of waders and i need to find some excuses to get them wet.

same goes for a coastal run. i've got some basic gear but its enough to kick back and have a great time. i hate low country interstate driving so i feel your pain. nothing worse than a corridor of mangy pine trees and sand for hours...just another reason to leave at 4AM and drive at slightly unwholesome speeds to simply get it over with.

Brett_Murphy wrote: I managed to get out this past weekend and managed one fish. Considering I was at a small local creek and the water was running high, I'll take it.

that's awesome. i live right near a couple highly trafficed impoundments near Jordan lake (i wonder if you were fishing them) and literally just figured out what a bowfin was last week when i was trying to understand just what the hell people were trying to catch in those dark creek waters. so they're basically an indigenous lungfish right? creepy....and i bet they can tear the hell out of your bait. do you run a wire leader if you're looking to tangle with them?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
4/24/13 10:45 a.m.

I got the bowfin at Crabtree creek in the middle of Raleigh. If I was targeting them on purpose, I'd just use a heavier fluorocarbon leader, say about 25 lbs. I only use wire when the teeth on the fish are serious (like pike, muskie or sharks).

The only impoundment I've fished was mentioned earlier in the thread with me holding a bass. It is off of Rt. 751.

As for spin fishing for trout: I do have a fly rod, and I can even use it. I do use it sometimes when I'm in Vermont. Also, waders are for snobs Canvas shoes and shorts, and if a leech happens to find you, use a light wire hook on it once you get it off of you.

ScottyB
ScottyB New Reader
4/24/13 2:42 p.m.

yeah I'm right by the 751 impoundments. i haven't played with my spinning outfit in a while...i might need to check one of them out some time soon before the water starts cooking.

i'm a complete snob. no way around it. but i'd consider myself a reformed snob...i'll actually get my feet wet from time to time

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
4/25/13 8:24 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: October trip last year. Just me, mama, & baby this time. I was accused at one point of being Homer Simpson, going after General Sherman. Caught bait on the beach every day as the tide was rolling in. Fish in a barrel. Gave some away....then, ever the entrepreneur, started selling it Caught enough shrimp to make appetizers one night. Went out with a guide. Caught 3 reds, all outside the slot. You'll have to trust that I've got my GRM shirt on, as the bigass fish is in the way

That is a beautiful Redfish.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
5/1/13 3:05 p.m.

If you want to hit the 751 impoundments, let me know. There are bass in there, too. The one I caught pictured earlier in the thread was on a 100 degree day and the water was hot to the touch. Warmer water speeds up a fish's metabolism, and they have to eat. You just have to be there when they're hungry on days like that.

I'm flying to California this weekend. I'm seriously considering buying a cheap rod and trying to catch a fish, just so I'd have caught fish in both oceans.

curtis73
curtis73 UltraDork
5/2/13 12:46 a.m.

My buddy just caught this sweet trout on a 4# fly rod last weekend. PA streams do have some whoppers if you know where to fish.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy SuperDork
5/2/13 7:42 p.m.

The picture doesn't work.

My biggest trout was a 5 pound rainbow out of the Walloomsac River in NY.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WiiYdR8kA28OctwGvvzNnPGJutjgHIKUTUqk1pbCOCF5EuwPvgeM68Eeh2MKlEye