1 2
Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/3/19 9:42 p.m.

Just realized - this is the first time I've been on the forums using my personal laptop since... maybe Sat or even Friday... and it was logged on when I opened the site a few minutes ago (Monday night).  I do remember having to log on with this laptop the last time.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/3/19 10:32 p.m.

Been happening to me also. Annoying as hell when we spend time writing a response to a thread only to loose it when we have to log in because we didn't notice we were logged out.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/4/19 6:22 a.m.

Back at work.  My laptop gets shut down and restarted every day.  Yesterday's login held.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
6/4/19 6:51 a.m.

I have been logged in for more than 24 hours on all my machines at this point. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/17/19 8:22 a.m.

As a few of you have noticed, we've deployed a temporary fix while we chase down an underlying bug. If you find yourself unexpectedly logged out, please post here.

Thanks!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/1/19 9:29 a.m.

I was logged out again this morning...is the forum repeating whatever it was doing a few weeks ago?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
7/1/19 9:32 a.m.

Same here - logged out on a couple of browsers this morning.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
7/1/19 9:42 a.m.

I was logged out as well this morning

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/1/19 9:44 a.m.

Also found my work PC logged out today. I remember one of my own computers was logged out over the weekend.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/1/19 9:53 a.m.

This could be the once-a-month logout that happens. At least I think that happens.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/1/19 10:08 a.m.

I was logged out today as well.  I suspected the once a month thing.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/1/19 10:11 a.m.

Looks to me like it's caused by short-lived SSL certificates. The one on the site now is valid from June 21st-Sept. 6th, I'm guessing it switched over around the weekend. Sites that use Mozilla's free SSL certs have the same problem with logging people out, those last like a week. The website I maintain at my day job uses SSL certificates that last a full year.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/1/19 10:13 a.m.

Sorry about the logout everybody, but it was planned in order to keep the site running smoothly. For the time being you'll see a logout at the beginning of every month, but the tradeoff should be a site that runs smoother and some very cool opportunities re: the digital edition of the magazine in the coming weeks. Over time, our hope is to gradually increase the logout interval.

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
7/1/19 4:39 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

seems reasonable enough

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gkPqOauNRrA8cxDtQBVoRBeDfWeYpJYl9I3D3ZXJ3cLLFzyiDfxCLEcOwDHLnLwz