1 2 3
frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
4/7/20 9:07 p.m.
93EXCivic said:
stuart in mn said:

I'm one of those people who prefer working at work, rather than at home.  Mainly, I'm more productive when I get in the car and going to a dedicated work space.   There are other factors, like having to email a coworker and then wait for their response instead of just walking 20 feet to their desk, or not having a printer or copy machine available. 

I am finding I am both more productive and less. Basically I am finding it easier to focus at home but the lack of being able to just directly talk to someone about somethings is really killing my ability to actually continue to be productive.

That is ignoring the hands on stuff I can only do at the office.

Well designed systems get you prompt answers on the internet too.  My wife is a.scrum master ( don't ask) In the banking industry time matters. The ability to get prompt answers quickly is critical. 
 She might need a program modified in India overnight but need six people up and down the chain of command to authorize it.  
failure  will expose the bank to risks from criminals who never sleep and exploit every weakness instantly.  
What's worse is the fines assessed by the federal government due to banking regulations.   

The problems of slow response is likely an issue of management rather than any  inherent flaw of the system.  That or obsolete techniques. Of course it might just be that your question didn't have a high enough priority to demand prompt response.  Our priority may not be others priority.  

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
4/7/20 9:35 p.m.
bentwrench said:

In reply to stuart in mn :

Don't fool yourself, or believe the shinny happy marketspeak from your energy provider.

Unless your wires are cut at the state line, your power comes from where ever is cheapest!

I'm pretty sure Minnesota is a net exporter of energy.   I realize how fluid  the whole system is but we are now using approx 25% renewable energy.( slightly ahead of Minnesota's goals)  And very modest amounts of coal.  
  Just a personal observation.  A few years ago  the coal trains coming from the western coal fields were a significant amount of rail traffic.  Not anymore.  In fact I cant remember the last coal triangle I saw.  
Recently  my former co-pilot's informed me that the coal companies  weren't using  their options on his lands. That's going to significantly impact his future  income. But he's already comfortable. 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/8/20 9:28 p.m.

We were talking about coal as an energy source yesterday, and I'm bumping this thread because of something I just saw in Reuters.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3vWFcCsKoVwwhjSFil94dPuuUOT5sWk46Negt73G0LB0TSHbJiRGNIWA425PEUyX