1 2 3 4
dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/20 8:16 p.m.

I got a $154 check for the airbag settlement on a car I no long even own.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/9/20 1:18 a.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

On the day he is born I will say the Alan B. Shepard's prayer: 

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
4/9/20 2:20 a.m.

A tire blew up while I was under the truck and was welding the exhaust as a favor for a friend of a friend. It was berkleying loud. No sparks hit it, tire was compromised and the tumor was growing through the weak spot while I was working and finally let go. My right ear hurt for the rest of the day but no shrapnel, ringing or lingering affects. 

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/9/20 7:06 a.m.

Woke up at 5:30AM and made a loaf of beer bread.  It was out of the oven before the rest of the family woke up so they got to come down stairs to hot, delicious smelling bread.  Meanwhile I was in my basement office doing my telework thing.  

Other good news....Mrs. VCH got a check from "a Bank that shall not be named but it is Of the country of America" for an account she'd closed 7 or 8 years ago for some fees that had been incorrectly charged.  I told her, life really is like Monopoly sometimes....she just landed on "Chance" and got the "Bank Error in Your Favor" card.  

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/9/20 7:13 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

One of the best takes on fatherhood, from one of the best ever:

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/9/20 7:40 a.m.

Good news?

I get to work from home, mostly training.

I bought a Class III Reese Hitch for $60.

Two bedrooms are repainted, guest bathroom is next.

I'm still married, not buried in the garden but getting fat from hanging out.

Appleseed: 

YES.  They do look like Winston Churchill right out of the factory and a lot of maintenance is required.  One day your surprised getting a cup of coffee and this little humanoid bumps into your waist - where'd you come from?  Before you know it you're renting a tux wondering how the hell this happened.

It's the fastest ride ever!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/9/20 8:06 a.m.

I got Tubey together and in the road yesterday. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
4/9/20 8:17 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

he looks older than i remember from the 2004 challenge.  wasn't that just a couple years ago?

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/9/20 9:01 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

OMG you're making me tear up here. I had a couple rought nights with my 3 year old (just turned 3 on Tuesday!) and now I'm wishing I could have held her during the lightning storm for even longer. It's such a surreal thing suddenly being the grown up, the one with all the answers (I know that doesn't last!) and the comfort when the world is terrifying. I'm looking forward to and terrified of the day I'm walking her (and/or her sister) down the aisle.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/9/20 9:06 a.m.
dculberson (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 914Driver :

OMG you're making me tear up here. I had a couple rought nights with my 3 year old (just turned 3 on Tuesday!) and now I'm wishing I could have held her during the lightning storm for even longer. It's such a surreal thing suddenly being the grown up, the one with all the answers (I know that doesn't last!) and the comfort when the world is terrifying. I'm looking forward to and terrified of the day I'm walking her (and/or her sister) down the aisle.

My MIL keeps telling my wife and I that we need to put our daughter down, she's only comforted by us, etc. etc. No thanks. It makes my wife and I happy, it makes her happy. And I say that even though I spent 3 hours last night walking up and down the hallway and rocking her in the chair.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
4/9/20 9:12 a.m.

Bikes are tuned up and ready for another season.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/9/20 9:19 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I used to rock and hug my little girl for 10 minutes before bed every night. She would demand it and tell us she wanted "rock-rock".  It made my wife mad I started this when I was traveling and not home some nights   

She turns 18 years old in 9 months and I rarely get a 3 second hug.  Enjoy these moments.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/9/20 9:42 a.m.

The rate my mortgage guy just back to me with on refinancing the house.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/9/20 9:46 a.m.

Wow!  The only dirt bikes I've seen that clean were in a showroom.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/9/20 9:58 a.m.

My youngest son used to walk up to me and say "Uppy!" in just the cutest voice whenever he would want me to pick him up.    Seems like only yesterday.  He's 14 now and I guess it's been more than a couple years since I've heard "Uppy!"

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
4/9/20 10:03 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

They won't stay like that for long.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/9/20 10:32 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

My youngest son used to walk up to me and say "Uppy!" in just the cutest voice whenever he would want me to pick him up.    Seems like only yesterday.  He's 14 now and I guess it's been more than a couple years since I've heard "Uppy!"

I don't get that any more -- but I do still take and give hugs.  It's not the same but it is the same :).

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/9/20 11:50 a.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to 11GTCS :

One the day he is born I will say the Alan B. Shepard's prayer: 

You will, it's ok we all have. Honestly they show us a lot of the how what and why. You are going to do great!

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/9/20 12:06 p.m.

I've been getting lots of exercise, pretty sore but starting to see it. Using an app called "ripdeck", its a playing card based random body mass resistance workout thing (pushups, situps, squats, jumping jacks etc. ) and its based on a thing people do in prison. It's pretty savage. Been doing that and lots of kettlebell stuff, walking/ hiking alot. 
getting to ride my ducati a bit. God damn what a machine! 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/9/20 12:18 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Supporter) said:
Mazdax605 said:

Decided to take my 17 year old son out in the REPU to the local high school to teach him the ways of the stick shift yesterday. 

When I was teaching my girlfriend-now-wife how to drive a manual in the way back time, her first attempt at getting going in the RX-7 was to redline it and dump the clutch. Her first ever burnout and stall was hilarious. 

My friend and I taught his mother how to drive a stick.  In a '70 Judge with posi and a Hurst close-ratio 4-speed.  This was a car I launched in 3rd gear the first time I drove it, and didn't notice.  Her first hill start was epic.

11GTCS
11GTCS New Reader
4/9/20 12:28 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Thanks for posting that.   When my son was a little guy, I used to grab him any chance I got.  He'd sit in my lap watching football and so on.   One day maybe when he was 3 or so I got "Daddy, why are you always picking me up?" Answer was "because some day, I won't be able to!"   He's 23 now and roughly 1,200 miles away in a grad program at A&M.  Yeah, I really wish I could pick him up right about now....

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/9/20 12:31 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Appleseed :

One of the best takes on fatherhood, from one of the best ever:

Genius. 

11GTCS
11GTCS New Reader
4/9/20 12:32 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

You're going to be fine, none of us had done it before either.   Just try your best everyday, be patient even when they're sick or fussy and absolutely get every hug you can.   It's the job that never ends, at least when they're little you know where they are!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/9/20 2:18 p.m.

When Ian was about 5, we were at the sailing club.  I walked up to see the racing roster with Ian right behind, Hey Dad, blah blah chit chat what do you blay vlahha';lsnk......   

Joe Choi walking the other way, "Enjoy that while you can!  Someday you'll be following him around asking questions and HE will be ignoring you".

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
4/10/20 8:54 a.m.

#2 Daughter got notice from the last University yesterday. She's now been accepted into every masters program she applied for. Now she just has to decide where she's going in September. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
z1GZByG0penUV6N6IIoJFFdSq87MBDF85zUpBFJiRbtfgTeNOe05nZ1XJ4NAxkwY