Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
9/30/11 8:58 a.m.

On my way into work this morning I saw one of these going the other way:

I had not see one in the wild before, let alone in rugh hour traffic on a damp day. I have to give the person driving it credit for actually using the car, very cool.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
9/30/11 9:21 a.m.

i saw a red one parked on a street in Santa Monica in 1998. the condition of the paint (and that it was a Wednesday) told me he wasn't just out for a Sunday drive.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
9/30/11 9:47 a.m.

My mother's uncle used to own one of these. He often drove it to family functions. I don't rmember ANY offers being extended to anyone for a ride (they may have been extended, I just don't rmember it). However, I remember my mother's aunt (his wife), a very nice/reasonable lady complaining that these were NOT cool to ride in, as the ventilation system left A LOT to be desired.

My mother's uncle was a very rich attorney, and at the time he owned this car, he had as his "regular" car a '50s Mercedes 300D sedan. (It looked like a late '40s Chevy, but with hardtop styling that GM didn't have on Chevys at that time, and the "D" definitely didn't stand for diesel). That car was replaced by a late '60s 300 SEL 6.3, the Gull Wing was replaced by a "parade" of Italian cars, including a Pantera.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
9/30/11 11:51 a.m.

I saw a real, honest-to-god-not-a-replica 1936 Mercedes Cabriolet parked on the street in front of a restaurant in Dahlonega GA last weekend. Top down, red leather proudly basking in the sun. It was just parked in a normal spot on a street, has to be a 3/4 million $ car, I think I saw a similar one on display at the High Museum of Art last year. Hell yeah. Drive it!

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
9/30/11 2:06 p.m.

Saw the new version of the gull wing in morning rush hour traffic on piedmont road in Atlanta on Wednesday. It was misting rain too.

While a nice looking car it didn't do the same for ms as a real one. And by real I mean an original from the 50's.

When I was in Jacksonville for training with Mercedes they had one come back from Germany where it had been restored at the factory. It belonged to the owner of Dominos Pizza.

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
9/30/11 2:36 p.m.

I saw one in Monaco last week. We were driving the SLS roadster, gave the guy thumbs up. He ignored us

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
9/30/11 2:43 p.m.

When I attended the Japanese Classic Car Show in 2010 I saw one randomly driving around Los Angeles. What's the big deal?

Of course it was off the Rodeo Drive strip in Beverly Hills! LOL

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mPSOa08cX1Ep0NAqTR2uOAWZEYlRY4HCf7xB7TBHeV9uYinq8RT824pTfCqJPudD