1 2 3 4
Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
9/13/18 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

*that* would be epic. Just because of this, I am rooting for them to tie their next game.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/13/18 12:43 p.m.
Stampie said:
Mazdax605 said:
Stampie said:

Hey they're 500 on the season.  Accept it for what it is.

I'm no math whiz, but being 0-0-1 doesn't make you .500, it makes you well nothing I guess. Seems about right for the Browns.

Notice the Browns and Steelers listed at .500. If you look below you'll see my Jaguars at 1.000. 

That's a nice graphic and all, but I maintain 0-0-1 doesn't have a winning percentage of .500.  There's no W, so how can you have a winning percentage?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/13/18 1:16 p.m.

0-0-16 is equal to 8-8, therefore .500

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
9/13/18 1:36 p.m.
Mazdax605 said:

That's a nice graphic and all, but I maintain 0-0-1 doesn't have a winning percentage of .500.  There's no W, so how can you have a winning percentage?

A draw counts as half of a win. This can come in handy when calculating tie breakers for things like draft position and (for the other 31 teams) post season seeding.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/13/18 1:46 p.m.
Patrick said:

You have to go to cleveland but don’t inform us eh?

“Ain’t that kinda party.” Sadly, just a turnaround trip with non-car-guys.

logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/16/18 4:02 p.m.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
9/16/18 4:23 p.m.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory... 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/16/18 10:57 p.m.

So are they. 500 still, or. 250 now? I still maintain they're .000. According to the NFL the tie is half a win, so I guess they're .500 because they still have that half win and no wins all at the same time. Can we all agree on the fact that they've been eliminated from the playoffs already?

logdog
logdog UltraDork
9/17/18 6:51 a.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Yep.  They are .250 while the Vikings and Packers are .750 after their tie.

Rumor has it they are signing Gus.  He can kick 100 yard field goals.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/17/18 6:56 a.m.

So the Browns, and Steelers have won 25% of their 2 games according to the NFL, and the Vikings, and Packers 75% of their 2 games? Okay, I must be way worse at math than I thought. Another reason why hockey is better in almost every way.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
9/17/18 7:57 a.m.
Mazdax605 said:

So the Browns, and Steelers have won 25% of their 2 games according to the NFL, and the Vikings, and Packers 75% of their 2 games? Okay, I must be way worse at math than I thought. Another reason why hockey is better in almost every way.

Makes sense to me. Browns and Steelers both have a tie and a loss. Packers and Vikings both have a tie and a win. If a tie counts for 50% of a win (just like it does in hockey), then those percentages seem right.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/17/18 8:18 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
Mazdax605 said:

Makes sense to me. Browns and Steelers both have a tie and a loss. Packers and Vikings both have a tie and a win. If a tie counts for 50% of a win (just like it does in hockey), then those percentages seem right.

I'd even argue that hockey makes less sense than football. Effectively you get 1/2 of a point for a tie in football; there is basically 1 point per game. In hockey, a win gets 2 points, an Overtime win gets 2 points, and an overtime loss gets 1 point. So there are 2 points per game, unless it goes to overtime/shootout. Then there are 3 points per game. How does that make sense?

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/17/18 8:52 a.m.

New Math.

down here the Coons are 1 and 1, That's .500 .  Old MATH.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/17/18 9:53 a.m.

I was watching the Browns Cleveland it up yesterday with a hard-core Brownie.  He informed me that their tie to begin the year was the best start the team has had in 14  years!  

Man.....there's die-hard fans......and  then there's Cleveland Brown's fans.  I'm a Bears fan and I feel bad for them!  

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
9/17/18 10:03 a.m.
OHSCrifle said:

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory... 

I came here just to post this.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/17/18 10:44 a.m.
Joe Gearin said:

I was watching the Browns Cleveland it up yesterday with a hard-core Brownie.  He informed me that their tie to begin the year was the best start the team has had in 14  years!  

Man.....there's die-hard fans......and  then there's Cleveland Brown's fans.  I'm a Bears fan and I feel bad for them!  

Look for me at Soldier field tonight. I'm a stunningly handsome man in a red polo with glasses. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/17/18 10:45 a.m.
Joe Gearin said:

We don’t need your pity laugh

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/17/18 10:53 a.m.
Patrick said:
Joe Gearin said:

We don’t need your pity laugh

No, but even Jay Cutler probably would've helped.

Joe Gearin
9/17/18 2:35 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

NICE!    BEAR DOWN!! 

Joe Gearin
9/17/18 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/18/18 8:58 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
Mazdax605 said:

So if the steelers and browns lose again this week what would their winning percentage be? 

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
9/18/18 10:10 a.m.
Mazdax605 said:

So if the steelers and browns lose again this week what would their winning percentage be? 

There's a formula for that. It's probably even simple enough for a Pats fan to understand devil

{\displaystyle {\text{winning percentage}}={{\text{wins}}+0.5\cdot {\text{ties}} \over {\text{total games}}}\cdot 100\%}

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/18/18 2:01 p.m.
STM317 said:
Mazdax605 said:

There's a formula for that. It's probably even simple enough for a Pats fan to understand devil

{\displaystyle {\text{winning percentage}}={{\text{wins}}+0.5\cdot {\text{ties}} \over {\text{total games}}}\cdot 100\%}

Well played. 

Furious_E
Furious_E SuperDork
9/18/18 2:59 p.m.
STM317 said:
Mazdax605 said:

Not without copying off of someone else's paper devil

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
9/20/18 10:23 p.m.

What's better than breaking a losing streak? Starting a winning streak!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BcCJDZ13igKJvk69QeYRRZFJ1PLyb5wlP6KLXAcb6AabA0c4iMDj2FXL3ghZHr0b