1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
9/21/18 4:42 p.m.
mtn said:

Corneal abrasion for me. Scratch to the eyeball. More painful than any torn ligaments broken fingers, etc. 

The other super painful thing that I deal with is a wart on the bottom of my big toe--it is actually right in the crease between my foot and the toe itself. I've had it frozen off, burned off, tried the duct tape--won't come off. Normally I don't notice it, but the wart grows and a callous grows at the same time, and eventually I'll be skating (hockey--reffing or playing) and I'll notice it. I have about 8 hours from when I notice it to shave it off with a razor. If I don't shave it in that time frame, it will become so painful that I can't walk on that foot. Shave it down, go another month or two, etc. When I was unemployed for about a month, I was able to attack it every day with freezing, some "wart acid" ,and shaving it. Thought I'd killed it for good. Nope.

I had a similar wart on my hand years ago, tried everything for about 3 years.  One new doctor looked at it and recommended laser surgery.  I had to wait three weeks for an opening, and in that time, the wart went away on its own.  THAT'S how effective laser surgery is, just hearing about it made the wart run away!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
9/21/18 5:36 p.m.

I passed a gall stone while shopping.  I needed food and was walking through the store and when the “attack” hit I had to hang on the the buggy and pant like I was in labor.  I actually considered asking for someone to call an ambulance.......when I felt a “pop” and all of the suddenly the pain went away.  Never had a problem since.

self inflicted:  leaving my motorcycle via the high side at 55 mph and using the asphalt to sand down all the high spots of my body while I slid 100 yards or so.  Helmet but no other gear.  Work shirt and pants.   Owwwwwww.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/21/18 5:41 p.m.

Second degree burns on my balls from drunk welding.  Haven't even found anything remotely close and dont want to. 

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
9/21/18 8:01 p.m.

Dropped a manhole cover on my ankle once.  Pain was so bad I feel to the ground and grabbed my leg and screamed.  It was one of those slushy rainy days we get in Boston.  Laying in the 6" of slush actually helped sooth the pain.  Still have a nice scar that looks like a burn where the skin died.  Here's another one you wouldn't know about unless you are a plumber.  Dropping hot solder onto your skin sucks and it hurts.  But thats nothing compared to dropping hot solder on a fingernail.  OH MY GOD is that painful.  Its like smashing your finger in a door, but worse.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/21/18 8:11 p.m.

Jumped off a machine and turned my ankle on a stone the size of a cricket, my vision went white hot. Limped for 2 months.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
9/21/18 8:20 p.m.

Oxycodone constipation is my most memorable and least favorite pain. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
9/21/18 8:52 p.m.

Too many to narrow it down to the absolute worst, but a couple that come to mind are once taking a piece of 2" diameter X ~8' long round stock off of the steel rack at work,  losing control of it long enough to have it come down on the end of my ring finger of my left hand. I jumped back thinking I had gotten away scott free only to see the blood dripping onto the floor. I had peeled the meat away from the top of the last knuckle to the tip, leaving the fingernail flopping loose.

The part that hurt was when the doc went to deaden it to sew it back together. A  2" needle in the web between the fingers, going into the middle of the hand.

I asked why they didn't go through the palm or the back of the hand and was told that it would hurt too much.

I called BS, that frickin HURT!

The worst, completely self inflicted,  I was about 18, working on my '73 Monte Carlo, and was trying to get the fan clutch back on. I decided that if I threaded a stud into the water pump, it would be easier to get the thing on.

I didn't have a stud, but I had a bolt and a bolt cutter. I couldn't cut the bolt gripping the cutter in my hands, so I  put one handle of the bolt cutter on the bench and both hands on the other handle and put all my weight on it.

The lower handle kicked out, but fortunately my scrotum was there to absorb the impact.

When I was done throwing up, I got up off the floor and went inside for a day or two.

thedoc
thedoc New Reader
9/23/18 6:19 a.m.

This could be an amazing thread.  I have so many multiple broken bones, joints and scars that I don't even know where to start. About 15 years ago I fell off my deck during a snow storm.  When my rear end broke the fall I destroyed the disc at L5/s1.  I mean, destroyed it.  I was on the phone and that was smashed as well.  As I laid there in the snow, not able to move, I wondered how long it would be before my wife would know to look for me.

A really great memory is backing my own forearm out of a belt sander.  I really hurt, but realizing I had to back my own skin out just made it so much worse.  I'm sure we could all compile quite the list.

Funny just a few days ago I was in a group and asked about how many bones we had broken.  I was in the top with four, not counting my back.  The only other person was a bone chip from sports.  Are people just not active, or are we reckless, foolish, clumsy or just living the dream that requires risk?  When I broke my leg I also had an eye injury in the same soccer game.  The game is still remembered as epic!

memories!!

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
9/23/18 3:27 p.m.

Two things are tied for first:

First thing, I was putting down the garage door and the end of my finger got pinched between two of the panels.  It hurt so bad, my knees buckled so I didn't really have a choice but to follow it the whole way down, then muster the strength to re-open the door to extract my finger.

Second thing, I was pulling a tarp off a box on a chest-high shelf.  Little did I know there was a large granite rock weighing the tarp down.  It rolled off the shelf and landed on my second toe (bare feet) and promptly hit my toenail with enough force to rip it out of my toe and leaving a bloody stump of hamburger.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
9/23/18 5:20 p.m.

Falling on the front sight post of an M-16, breaking a tooth in half and cutting and bruising the hard palate in the top of my mouth.  The half a tooth I had left hurt with a throbbing ache that was so bad my eye would twitch and (this is weird) one of big toes would cramp. Trying to eat anything with a deeply bruised cut on the top of the inside of my mouth was ridiculous for a while.

They put a temporary cap on it that I've had for 30 years now. Every dentist I've had has been amazed that the tooth didn't die. 

Toymanswife
Toymanswife Reader
9/23/18 6:51 p.m.

Childbirth. 4 times. 

Other than that....  I fell and broke my tibia and shattered my fibula. A titanium plate and nine pins later earned me walking on crutches for 4 months. That was a pain that instantly made me want to throw up. Toyman didn't think it was broken so I waited 24 hours to go to the ER.... that surgery was a lot of fun.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/23/18 7:47 p.m.

In reply to Toymanswife :

You win! Er, uh...

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/23/18 8:25 p.m.

In reply to Toymanswife :

I don't think any of us are in the same league, hats off to you maam.!

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
9/23/18 9:29 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog and Toymanswife :

Taking a shot to the jewels hurts more than childbirth. I've never heard a guy say, "Hey, you know what? I think I'd like to get kicked in the nuts, again." cheeky​​​wink

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iD438MmRZxwlZ8w3b2ewr12JCJmELQyVpCv5VoO4TO1t2WuuC3g5LYfVyLA7iDk6