1 2 3 4
mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/8/10 8:31 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
mad_machine wrote: . We often work straight through our shifts with no breaks and no lunch just because there is too much work and not enough people to do it.
Union or not, in most states, if not all, this is illegal.

in this respect, it is our own fault. We are stretched thin by management, but we refurse to not get the work done. Besides the "food" they serve in the cafeteria is not worth eating (or feeding to pigs). We all talk about letting the ball fall.. but none of us seem to be able to actually do it.

I think it is going to take a BIG failure to wake up management some..

Toyman01
Toyman01 Dork
2/8/10 9:09 p.m.

I don't suppose talking to management would help. That's a tough spot to be in. Looking out for a company that won't do the same is hard to do.

We have a couple of guys that work for us and we all end up working through breaks and lunches at times. We try to make it up to them by knocking off early on the slow days with pay. They do a good job looking out for us and we return the favor.

I never will understand the people who try to screw their fellow workers be they management or employee. When you crap on the company do be surprised when they return the favor. It goes the other way too. Then again I have worked for a huge international company before. I lasted a year and a half before I told them to stick it. The us against them mentality seem to prevail, and adversarial relationships never were my strong suit. I'll stick with working for myself or small companies.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/9/10 9:42 a.m.

It's just funny. Of my two main employers.. the Borgata and Harrahs.. both are the only ones in Atlantic City not hemmoraging money in this changing gaming client, but the differences between the two are 180 degrees apart.

Working at the Borgata, they treat their employees like people. eating in the cafe is almost like going out to eat and they are actually HIRING people instead of laying them off. Their philosophy is that the business is built on people. If you keep your people happy, they will treat the guests better and the guest will come back and bring friends.

At Harrah's, Employees are almost treated like they are drains on the bottom line. Food is brought in from another property and is barely edible (you do not even get much of a choice in what they serve) We are expected to stay out of the public eye as much as possible, using small passages and hidden doorways to sneak in and off the gaming floor), and they lay off people at the slightest bump in the economy.

One is in full retreat, the other is at full speed ahead. There is a reason I am after one of the coveted perminent positions at the Borgata.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
2/9/10 8:26 p.m.

Never worked union, don't ever plan to. Why?

UPS is union (Teamsters, I believe). Good friend in Columbia was a driver, making damn good money, loved his job. Then he came wandering by my evil nasty hatemongering place of no union employment and I asked him why he was off in the middle of the day.

It seems that the union had decided to strike in the Northeast over something or other. This shut down UPS nationwide, so here he was drawing some dinky check the union provided during the strike. It seems that he had never actually gone union even though they had pestered the hell out of him, so he was not entitled to full union benefits. So the strike was dragging on (I seem to recall this one lasted three months) and his house nearly went into foreclosure.

The problem the guys in the Northeast had were not even on the radar of the guys in the rest of the country, yet they were affected deeply by it. So I see nothing different about Big Unions as compared to Big Business, with the exception of freedom to work where you want when you want. Give me an 'open shop' any day.

BTW, on the question of lunches and breaks: I regularly caught hell from my bosses when I was writing service at dealerships for not taking breaks and working through lunch at times even though as a commissioned employee I was not required to punch a clock. It may not be The Law, but it's enough of A Rule that supervisors sweat bullets over it.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/8/10 7:13 p.m.

I want to close the loop on this..

basically the company appealed and was shut down.

I don't think these jobs will be staying in CT long, all of them. December is contract time.

Damnit, and I was just getting used to Connecticut. Guess I'll be moving soon.

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-pratt-whitney-jobs-appeals-2-20100708,0,666916.story

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

get on a better formatted page

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

do it

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

do it

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/8/10 7:14 p.m.

do it

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

come on

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

lets go

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

come on

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

this one is the charm

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

no it wasn't

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

come on

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

this has to change

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

lets do it

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/8/10 7:15 p.m.

holy crap, just change the page

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

do it

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

come on

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork

what is wrong with this thing

Toyman01
Toyman01 Dork
7/8/10 7:32 p.m.

Ignorant broke the internets...

Makes these things mighty hard to read.

Any idea where you are headed next. Will it be with the same company?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/8/10 7:34 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Ignorant broke the internets... Makes these things mighty hard to read. Any idea where you are headed next. Will it be with the same company?

I'm working for a new division now, but I wanted to go back there. I wanted to Stay in CT cause the wifey is preggo with #2 and didn't want to rock the boat too much..

as for the company part of the work will go to singapore and some to other overseas places.

The defense sensitive stuff will most like go to Columbus GA or Maine.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/8/10 7:35 p.m.

yay I fixed the internet again.

Toyman01
Toyman01 Dork
7/8/10 7:37 p.m.

Good luck either way. Boeing is hiring in Charleston I heard.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RKM1b9GhV9bT9yTIGTAtn0rKwRseu7NASzYa5b2xHGhC1dHmUmYCx16xi6Y14jrK