Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled New Reader
11/3/17 3:17 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Cougar-Guy :

Thanks!  I ended up with this after looking at Roadmaster wagons and wishing Caddy made a wagon out of the Fleetwood.  I was joking around with SWMBO after finding this on ebay down in Alabama and she didn't keep me in line so I ended up buying it and driving it back to Ohio.  It's by far my favorite car I've ever owned.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/6/17 6:39 a.m.

In the wild, unmolested, unrestored 1968 Mopar 9 passenger.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/6/17 6:43 a.m.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/6/17 8:28 a.m.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/6/17 9:02 a.m.
Dead_Sled said:

In reply to Indy-Cougar-Guy :

Thanks!  I ended up with this after looking at Roadmaster wagons and wishing Caddy made a wagon out of the Fleetwood.  I was joking around with SWMBO after finding this on ebay down in Alabama and she didn't keep me in line so I ended up buying it and driving it back to Ohio.  It's by far my favorite car I've ever owned.

That's incredible. Does it have a back seat at all? I had a '66 Pontiac hearse/ambulance combo that had a flip-up attendant's seat for when it was in ambulance service, but I think most dedicated hearses just have a solid load floor. I bet there's a lot of empty space under that floor, behind the front seat. It'd be cool to figure out a way to put in a folding bench back seat that gives you an original looking flat floor when stowed but a regular 3-person bench seat when deployed. I'm going to go ahead and spend a few dozen hours of your time to figure it out. ;-)

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled New Reader
11/6/17 11:47 a.m.
dculberson said:
That's incredible. Does it have a back seat at all? I had a '66 Pontiac hearse/ambulance combo that had a flip-up attendant's seat for when it was in ambulance service, but I think most dedicated hearses just have a solid load floor. I bet there's a lot of empty space under that floor, behind the front seat. It'd be cool to figure out a way to put in a folding bench back seat that gives you an original looking flat floor when stowed but a regular 3-person bench seat when deployed. I'm going to go ahead and spend a few dozen hours of your time to figure it out. ;-)

It's like you're in my head.

No back seat, from what I've seen they haven't made the hearse/ambulance combo since the 70s/80s.  The space under the floor in front of the rear axle is open and there are sliding doors to access it from either side.  The full size spare is stored under there, along with the tool kit, a casket duster, a pair of mud boots, and some fake flowers (the funeral home didn't clean anything out of it when I bought it). 

I'd like to add a fold down rear seat like out of a roadmaster wagon.  I removed a few of the rollers to get a better look and it appears all the seat mounting points are still there under the floor, it looks like they just cut and stretched the floor at the rear doors.  I'd have to fab up something for the top mounts for the seat back but that shouldn't be that hard, especially if I can cut the old ones out of a roadmaster being scrapped.  The other option I've considered is to mount either captains chairs or a third row seat from a mini-van back there since they're more self contained.

One down side is the rear windows don't roll down and there's no interior door handles for the rear doors - seems they didn't expect anyone to be getting themselves out of there devil.   There is an emergency release on the rear door incase you get locked in the back, which I found after locking myself in the back in the hotel parking lot in a thunderstorm immediately after buying it surprise.

Sorry for the novel, here's a pic of SWMBO's Mom's wagon from this weekend to make up for it.

Indy-Cougar-Guy
Indy-Cougar-Guy SuperDork
11/6/17 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

Yeah, you're going to fit in here just fine.

wink

Indy-Cougar-Guy
Indy-Cougar-Guy SuperDork
11/6/17 9:01 p.m.
914Driver said:

That's a cool find, and amazing to see in the wild these days.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/7/17 9:09 a.m.
AdventurePiggy
AdventurePiggy New Reader
12/31/17 4:30 p.m.

My DD

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/3/18 7:54 a.m.
Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
1/7/18 2:46 p.m.

This one will be taking over duties as a daily driver. I need suggestions on improving it a bit...

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2002-mazda-protege5-the-wagon-sickness-is-real/135878/page1/

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/8/18 9:23 a.m.

Photoshops, and low-res ones at that, but still pretty cool. Someone needs to make this a kit.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/8/18 2:29 p.m.

reminds me of the m-shoe. I approve

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
1/8/18 11:35 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Mazda needs to build this car...

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/9/18 9:06 a.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

The blue one is totally an M Coupe roof line photoshopped onto a Miata. Upper one is a Mazda3, I believe.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
1/9/18 9:07 a.m.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
1/9/18 11:59 a.m.

In reply to FlightService :

Love the Volvo wagons. They’re gorgeous!

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/12/18 2:08 p.m.

if anyone needs more wagon in their life we have a 2011 audi a4 wagon quattro on our lot for sale with the 2.0t.  gorgeous car 

8valve
8valve New Reader
1/12/18 2:22 p.m.

I was looking for a 2008-2010 Passat wagon with that 2.0t.  Never found one locally with a 6spd that I wanted, but I'm pretty sure they were made that way.

http://www.privatefleet.com.au/images/upload/Image/volkswagen-passat-wagon.jpg

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/12/18 2:25 p.m.

In reply to 8valve :

this audi is an auto. if it was a 6 speed it'd probably already be gone lol

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
1/29/18 9:13 a.m.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
1/29/18 9:43 a.m.

Need to take a trip to Brazil and bring one of these home: Chevy Opala SS wagon.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
1/29/18 8:29 p.m.

My pop's '56 sedan delivery. Lt1/700r4. For now. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/30/18 9:19 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
heWTwbb4bFEqTZ2RLsR6rMWBAfRfkdaF0d7MjXorKSfwDJ1UAeROOVgfr8G6ZCKT