5 6 7
turtl631
turtl631 Reader
5/19/16 5:36 p.m.

In reply to XLR99:

My group also staffs hospitals that use Epic, and the docs who work with both prefer Epic. But meh, i know what I know.

Of course the ER docs were the easiest to work with! Our brains haven't been broken by working too much and taking call.

Dr. Hess- Are you really a neurosurgeon? Man those guys are miserable, or at least every damn time I talk to them.

monknomo
monknomo New Reader
5/19/16 6:02 p.m.

I'm a full stack developer - I do Java, Python, Javascript, SQL, Linux sysadmin, Solaris sysadmin, E36 M3ty DBA-ing and I'd help a forum member

Woody
Woody MegaDork
5/19/16 6:44 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek:

I have a tire question that I have asked a number of times to a number people who should know, but I've never gotten a solid answer.

Suppose that the manufacturer recommends a given pressure, say 32 psi, for the 16" tires that came standard on your vehicle. What is your target pressure when you go +1 or +2 on your wheel and tire size? (Assuming that there is no 17" or 18" option from the factory.)

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
5/19/16 6:47 p.m.
monknomo wrote: I'm a full stack developer - I do Java, Python, Javascript, SQL, Linux sysadmin, Solaris sysadmin, E36 M3ty DBA-ing and I'd help a forum member

I've been toying with the idea of learning Python. I'd like to learn SOME kind of programming language, including more of Linux. How would you recommend I go about it?

Honestly I don't know what I would do with it, it's a curiosity. Recently I've been messing with an Arduino (I can make an LED blink!), and may have a few more projects in mind for a Raspberry Pi.

tb
tb HalfDork
5/19/16 7:47 p.m.

I'm retired.

My advice is to try it sometime, you just might like it.

secretariata
secretariata Dork
5/19/16 7:54 p.m.
tb wrote: I'm retired. My advice is to try it sometime, you just might like it.

I hear it may be somewhat addictive...

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
5/20/16 7:46 a.m.

I'm a brewmaster.

My advice to you

is to start drinking heavily.

(More seriously: taste is subjective. Drink what you enjoy. Don't be a dick to other people for liking a different type of beer. Don't be pretentious or think you are more educated about beer than you are for drinking or not drinking a particular type of beer. Feel free to ask if you want suggestions on new beers to try, or ways to improve home brewing process.)

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek Reader
5/26/16 9:43 a.m.
Woody wrote: In reply to ShawneeCreek: I have a tire question that I have asked a number of times to a number people who should know, but I've never gotten a solid answer. Suppose that the manufacturer recommends a given pressure, say 32 psi, for the 16" tires that came standard on your vehicle. What is your target pressure when you go +1 or +2 on your wheel and tire size? (Assuming that there is no 17" or 18" option from the factory.)

Let me start with a definition of a proper plus size:

• Load index is equivalent or higher
  • Outer diameter is within ±3% of stock
  • Speed rating is equivalent or higher

To determine the proper inflation pressure you need to look at the load index of the tire. That comes after the tire size. 215/55R17 94V (94 being the load index). The proper plus size here is 235/45R18 94V. Since they are equal, the same inflation pressure as stock is correct.

A less optimal (but still proper) +1 is a 225/50R18 95V. It is 2.2% larger in OD, but would likely work. In this case the load index went up by one (from 94 to 95). To have an equivalent load carrying capacity the 225 technically needs less air pressure (~10 kpa, or 1.4 psi less) because there is more air volume to carry the load. No tire shop or tire manufacturer is going to recommend this lower pressure because that would be lower than the inflation pressure recommended by the car manufacturer. Doing so would shift legal liability from the OEM to whomever made the recommendation (or so the lawyers tell me). This is likely why you've never really gotten a solid answer.

My recommendation for a proper plus sizing: keep the same inflation pressure the same as stock. That 1.4 psi difference is negligible compared to the pressure variation caused by the ambient temperature changing. This is assuming normal street driving. Racing might be a different story. But with racing you can always do the skidpad test to determine an optimal pressure.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
5/26/16 3:26 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
cmcgregor wrote: I'm a laboratory automation engineer for a biotech company that does cancer genomics. My skills are pretty useless outside of that, but sure!
+1

+2 sort of. I have no formal education in the field, but about 20 years of practical on-the-job experience and a lifetime of accumulating my peculiar skills and knowledge, plus a few patents and a few products that are paying for people's shoes.

5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YAiZM2YraVWxXlbPaBr2TDVcEWMpmfdrGGyzf8KRrPMqQEMr7nQm1WxP3iJoczb8