1 2 3 4 5
ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/24/21 9:20 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

One of the things he said that hit me the hardest was "The most valuable lessons are found in the places you least want to look"

It's a hard thing to look at yourself from the outside and discover everything that you need to fix.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/24/21 9:27 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
Streetwiseguy said:

What if we accepted that life can be difficult, and the true satisfaction you get from dealing with difficulties is a wonderful thing?

i was listening to one of Jordan B Peterson's "Maps Of Meaning" lectures the other day and one thing that dug itself into my brain is that rights are not the most important thing.  responsibilities are. because your rights are my responsibilities and vice versa. the quote of your post brought me back to that point, because dealing with difficulty and achieving successful outcome is a pretty good definition of responsibility.

I fully agree with all of this. as a nano example, you frequently hear people say that the restaurant food tastes great simply 'because I didn't have to cook it'. That grinds my gears. I don't mind eating at a restaurant and I can absolutely admit that most people are better at cooking tasty food than me. But there is still a great sense of satisfaction in eating the food that you worked hard to make. 

Money doesn't buy happiness. But the work you put in to get the money might. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
6/24/21 11:03 a.m.

Both.

Money does buy happiness

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/24/21 11:11 a.m.

Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can park right next to it in your yacht.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/24/21 11:43 a.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

Money doesn't buy happiness, but most of the time money comes from success and success yields oxytocin production. Money allows for purchases of items and experiences that release endorphins and dopamine. 

Invest in relationships that provide the opportunity for security for all parties. And things that won't require additional investment or commitments in the future, unless they provide security elsewhere. 

One of the worst things in our current economic environment is the subscription basis model. I want to purchase something and to own it. If your software updates enough that I want to purchase the upgrade, then I'll do so, but I don't want to have to subscribe for $10-20 a month. Let me pay $130 once to own it, then if it's vastly improved in a year or two, I'll gladly update on my own instead of being tethered to being your beta tester in a relationship that I can't walk away from. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Dork
6/24/21 11:44 a.m.

Pretty much every problem I have in my life right now could be solved with money.  It's not the solution for everything, but it absolutely can lower a person's stress and lead to happiness.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/24/21 11:46 a.m.

Money doesn't make you happy, but it can reduce or eliminate the things that are making you sad (and potentially add a few of course)

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it will get you a lot of hookers and blow....

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/24/21 11:52 a.m.

I'd rather be sad and rich than sad and broke.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/24/21 12:13 p.m.

It's like I said to the pretty lady:  "How can I love you if you won't lie down?"

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/24/21 12:13 p.m.

I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it | Picture Quotes

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/24/21 12:26 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

Pretty much every problem I have in my life right now could be solved with money.  It's not the solution for everything, but it absolutely can lower a person's stress and lead to happiness.

THAT'S THE POINT!

Having no problems isn't what makes a human happy. That makes humans bored and then they manufacture stupider problems (see Kardashians). Working hard to overcome your problems and then looking back every once in a while and remembering the good work you've done is what makes a human happy. Low stress /= happiness either. 

1 day on the beach with nothing to do = a nice break, especially if you worked extra hard to earn it

1 month on the beach with nothing to do = ugh

1 year on the beach with nothing to do = painful

1 life on the beach with nothing to do = torture

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/24/21 1:08 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
infinitenexus said:

THAT'S THE POINT!

Having no problems isn't what makes a human happy. That makes humans bored and then they manufacture stupider problems (see Kardashians). Working hard to overcome your problems and then looking back every once in a while and remembering the good work you've done is what makes a human happy. Low stress /= happiness either. 

1 day on the beach with nothing to do = a nice break, especially if you worked extra hard to earn it

1 month on the beach with nothing to do = ugh

1 year on the beach with nothing to do = painful

1 life on the beach with nothing to do = torture

Thumb.  My current troubles could be lessened with a cash infusion, but I'm pretty darn sure there would be some new problems that would come along to fill the trouble hole.

Sure would like to try, though.  C'mon, Lottomax.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/24/21 1:39 p.m.

Sounds awfully circle jerky. devil

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/24/21 1:44 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

Both.

Money does buy happiness

My dad has a saying : money doesn't buy happiness but lack of a certain amount guarantees misery.

I just want enough money, the moment that money stops being a tool you use and you let it control you is the point I stop before I hit.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/24/21 1:47 p.m.
aircooled said:

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it will get you a lot of hookers and blow....

For every country song about a pickup truck, there's a classic rock song about hookers and blow not leading to happiness. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
6/24/21 2:10 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Does anyone make beef jerky under the brand "circle"? 

If not, that's a million dollar idea right there.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/24/21 2:40 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
z31maniac said:

Does anyone make beef jerky under the brand "circle"? 

If not, that's a million dollar idea right there.

Ha! That's amazing. 

"Try the new Circle Jerky, now with extra saltiness!!"

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/24/21 3:56 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

True, however, imagine if nobody had any bills? No need to work at a slaves pace. Instead your work is something enjoyable. One day it's resorting an old car. The next day it's beautifying a home. Imagine peaceful nights, so peaceful you can wake up anywhere and be totally fine. 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/24/21 4:06 p.m.

In reply to Vajingo :

Nope.

A little debt is what keeps me from being a lazy monkey.

I need some incentive to get up and go to work every day.

If humans really had paradise, the first thing we would do is throw a wrench in the mix because total predictability is boring. We need a little chaos or we go crazy.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/24/21 4:09 p.m.
Vajingo said:

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

True, however, imagine if nobody had any bills? No need to work at a slaves pace. Instead your work is something enjoyable. One day it's resorting an old car. The next day it's beautifying a home. Imagine peaceful nights, so peaceful you can wake up anywhere and be totally fine. 

Imagine if there was no responsibility for feeding yourself.  Potatos and lard at the government store, as much as you want.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/24/21 4:16 p.m.

Agent Smith:
Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Dork
6/24/21 4:41 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Mr_Asa said:
Boost_Crazy said:

Decline of moral upbringing. We are a less and less religious country. Say what you will about religion, but for generations religions provided moral bases for people. 

Uhhh....

Yeah, no.

I regret that I only have but one upvote to give.

Since is seems like a lot of people agree with you, anyone want to take a stab at why you disagree that religion in this county had a large influence on our moral values? The vast majority of the previous generations of people practiced religion. They went to church on Sundays and most kids went through years or religious school. They preached their moral values over and over and over. Most social functions from previous generations revolved around the church. Yet you think that had no impact on the moral values and behaviors adopted by society? 

Now, there are lots of examples of things that you don't like about religion or problems it has caused, or you could argue that it doesn't practice what it preaches. That doesn't change the influence it has had on society, for better or worse. That's not what we were taking about. The topic is what has changed, and why people are not as nice to each other as they used to be. Societies mass move away from religion is a big change in a short time period. I argue that it is a significant contributing factor, prove me wrong. 

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
6/24/21 4:45 p.m.

FWIW: Some of the most miserable people I know are rich. They have spent their entire adult lives chasing MONEY, then when they have MONEY they complain about MONEY. No matter how much they have they always feel like it isn't enough.   

I think I saw this posted here recently:

If all you crave is money, money is all you will have. 

CAinCA
CAinCA HalfDork
6/24/21 4:53 p.m.

There have been studies done that have found that basically once people enough money that they aren't living paycheck to paycheck they really aren't any happier no matter how much more money they have.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/24/21 5:21 p.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Mr_Asa said:
Boost_Crazy said:

Decline of moral upbringing. We are a less and less religious country. Say what you will about religion, but for generations religions provided moral bases for people. 

Uhhh....

Yeah, no.

I regret that I only have but one upvote to give.

Since is seems like a lot of people agree with you, anyone want to take a stab at why you disagree that religion in this county had a large influence on our moral values? The vast majority of the previous generations of people practiced religion. They went to church on Sundays and most kids went through years or religious school. They preached their moral values over and over and over. Most social functions from previous generations revolved around the church. Yet you think that had no impact on the moral values and behaviors adopted by society? 

Now, there are lots of examples of things that you don't like about religion or problems it has caused, or you could argue that it doesn't practice what it preaches. That doesn't change the influence it has had on society, for better or worse. That's not what we were taking about. The topic is what has changed, and why people are not as nice to each other as they used to be. Societies mass move away from religion is a big change in a short time period. I argue that it is a significant contributing factor, prove me wrong. 

Causation does not imply correlation.  I'd argue that its more that a strong sense of community gives a close tie to a moral standard.  Church is one of the longest sources of community cohesion and now that its constant immorality is being exposed people are leaving it regularly.

You want a source for rising immorality in America?  Capitalism's rise in the 80s.  Every single problem in the US is linked to greed becoming the primary.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mVOArkre8w6iqXKxoRp2pABXDNxTns79VIOVSssHutYMv1guJSU8h7JbS4gR2p0I