1 2
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/3/21 3:44 p.m.

Especially when you have a dog who doesn't want to die. We were taking him to the vet this weekend for euthanization when he couldn't get up anymore. We were carrying him on a blanket. Suddenly he jumps up and gets on his feet, then starts walking away from the car goes up the stairs and back into the house giving us that look that he isn't done yet. 

This morning he had a seizure. Called the vet. He sleeps for a long time. Then he gets up and wants to go outside. He walks slowly around with the other dog beside him. Again with that look that he isn't ready to die yet. He still eats but he is getting thinner and more frail. I have owned dogs for over 30 years and I have never seen one like this before. 

2/3/21 3:47 p.m.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) HalfDork
2/3/21 3:49 p.m.

Aw man. I feel for you.

It totally sucks.

Remember all the good years.

Is someone chopping up an onion...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/3/21 3:50 p.m.

Reminds me of Maya. She was in pain or we wouldn't have gone through with it. IT's painful especially after 15 years of 24/7 love and attention.

2/3/21 3:52 p.m.

Rage on good Rocky! Rage on against the dying of the light! I will be right there with you till the end!

2/3/21 3:54 p.m.

2/3/21 3:56 p.m.

2/3/21 3:57 p.m.

2/3/21 3:59 p.m.

2/3/21 4:15 p.m.

It was almost 15 years ago my dog rescue group picked him up from the pound with a seriously broken front leg. He was in a lot of pain then. The vet wanted to amputate. Instead my group, flush with money from donations at the time took him to the Veterinary Orthopedic Surgery Center in North Dallas, one of the best places like that in the country. They took his broken bone apart and put it back together again with a steel rod and a lot of screws. This was back when he was barely past being a pup. He had to learn to walk all over again. Back then he was one of the toughest dogs I have ever seen, crying while trying to walk with his new leg. 

We named him Rocky because he was this tough large Alaskan Malamute who never gave up. I got him as a foster dog after 9 fosters sent him back. He was afraid of other dogs. He fought with other dogs. I spent a lot of time working with him, taking him to different trainers to get him over his fears. In the end he was OK with my pack but I never could take him to a dog park again. I really wonder what happened to him when his leg was broken so badly. Was it a pack of other dogs? Why did they leave him there for the pound to pick up? 

One night he jumped into my bed and put his paw on my shoulder. From then on I knew that he was more that another foster dog. He was my dog. For another 15 years or so. Malamutes are not supposed to live this long but this guy never, never gives up. That's why it hurts so much. I have never seen him walk with a limp after he recovered from surgury and learned to walk again. I have never seen one like this before. I want to give him all the time he fights for. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/3/21 4:29 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

He is asking you to go on his own terms. He can handle the pain. Cherish every moment with him until he chooses to let go.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/3/21 4:34 p.m.

I'm sorry this is so hard but if he's comfortable then enjoy the extra time you have with him.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
2/3/21 4:39 p.m.

The best any dog could hope for is a caring owner, and you are so very clearly that.  Be strong.  He will let you know when it is time.  Rocky trusts your judgement. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/3/21 4:46 p.m.

We used to use a Mobile Vet as in she, the Vet, only made house calls.  She came to the house twice to handle "the final visit" for us.  For each time, we made it as gentle and hospice-like as possible.  So much easier without a cold metal table too.  Well, I say it was easier but it's never easy.  The Vet then left the dog with us...and off to the family farm with a shovel and a nice little ceremony.  

iansane
iansane Reader
2/3/21 4:49 p.m.

It's so much worse when they stare at you with those eyes. They know. And they're scared. Their body has given up but their mind and heart won't. 

I'm sorry. I just went through something similar. I say 'just' and it's been a year and a half. Still hurts like it was yesterday. 

iansane
iansane Reader
2/3/21 4:52 p.m.
John Welsh said:

We used to use a Mobile Vet as in she, the Vet, only made house calls.  She came to the house twice to handle "the final visit" for us.  For each time, we made it as gentle and hospice-like as possible.  So much easier without a cold metal table too.  Well, I say it was easier but it's never easy.  The Vet then left the dog with us...and off to the family farm with a shovel and a nice little ceremony.  

I did this. There's so much less stress. Obviously they know what's happening and that there is this stranger around but you miss the painful car ride, the waiting room purgatory and frigid nature of the exam room.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
2/3/21 4:56 p.m.

Your dog is fighting the good fight.  Good for both of you.

2/3/21 5:12 p.m.

Rocky is my once in a lifetime dog. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/3/21 6:08 p.m.

Can't/won't read the entire thread, but totally hear you. It's painful. A little more than a year ago, we watched both of our dogs fade away--both from the same litter and they went exactly two weeks apart. Yup, crushing. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/3/21 6:14 p.m.

He'll let you know when it is time. Listen to him when he does, but until then, keep doing what you are doing. My sympathy to you folks.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
2/3/21 6:36 p.m.

We've gone through this too many times.  I feel your pain. You've given this dog a great life. Focus on that.

I'm impressed with anyone who can foster for a rescue group. We did it for a while but we fell in love with each of our fosters and it was really hard to let them go. We still foster horses but somehow that's easier on us. 

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/3/21 7:45 p.m.

Rocky is absolutely beautiful. Hard place to be in, and I wish you and Rocky all my best in these trying times. You a blessed to have his love, and he is blessed to have a companion that cares.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/3/21 8:15 p.m.

Agreed.

Two weeks ago tonight had to euthanize our little Heidi. She was in perfectly good health for a 13 year old saluki rescue from Kuwait. Then she suddenly wasn't. Hermangiocarcoma or something close to that. It's a super aggressive blood cancer. We never saw it coming.She was in trouble on Saturday and by Wednesday gone. Tuesday evening she was on the couch struggling to get comfortable. I looked at her and she looked at me and I said, "you're gonna go fast aren't you?" She was gone the next day. 

If they're happy and responding to you they'll let you know. All of our dogs have in some way. Sure it may just be us rationalizing, but I believe dogs are the most zen animals. They live in the now. 

Still it sucks. Horribly. Two weeks later and there's a hole in the living room between the other three dogs where Heidi should be.

Your dogs are beautiful and you've been great to them. 

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
2/3/21 8:21 p.m.

We went through this last Memorial Day. Still hurts. I'm getting teary-eyed just reading your posts. My sympathy to you and your family.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
2/3/21 8:38 p.m.

I had to take my daughters dog to the vet to be put down.  That was the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o05aeT4KX7a1LM1AA1ZRXxLYkG2txsvIhupaeWaLVMxbEJRdJyUEs1NhFOCkeiYr