G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
6/7/18 10:15 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

Free anything tastes better

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
6/8/18 6:46 a.m.

Even the biggest beer snob has at some point enjoyed a cold Bud on a hot day. 

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
7/15/18 12:39 p.m.

I was reminded yesterday that, in a 4 banger, the "A/C" button is a selector switch which stands for "Acceleration/Cool Air".   

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
7/15/18 10:48 p.m.
kazoospec said:

I was reminded yesterday that, in a 4 banger, the "A/C" button is a selector switch which stands for "Acceleration/Cool Air".   

We used to add vacuum-operated compressor cutout switches to improve that situation.  HIt the gas hard, and the compressor clutch disengages.  Had one on my Vega.  Shouldn't be too hard to cobble together one from Grainger, if JC Whitney doesn't still carry it.

On topic:  Some JC Whitney stuff actually worked.

NoMini
NoMini PowerDork
7/15/18 10:54 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Even the biggest beer snob has at some point enjoyed a cold Bud on a hot day. 

I'm not a beer snob, but I draw the line at drinking Bud.

NoMini
NoMini PowerDork
7/15/18 11:02 p.m.
Mndsm said:

You check your work before you flush. It's a rule. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/15/18 11:20 p.m.

In reply to NoMini :

Stepdad was in a fraternaty that had a "longest poop" contest.  They would eat a lot of poop-making foods (I have never been given, nor inquired about, what exactly this is...) and then they held their contest.  The winner went outside the bowl and drooped over to touch the floor.

Makes me feel like I didn't miss much by not going to college.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/15/18 11:23 p.m.
aircooled said:

People tend to think things are new when they actually have been going on for a long time... same poop, different day:

Time travel back to the 60's and tell them Ronald Reagan will be president!

Ronald Reagan?  The ACTOR?  Then who's Vice President?  Jerry Lewis?

(There was an episode of Laugh-In, where... ok let me find it...)

HERE

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
7/16/18 10:52 a.m.
slantvaliant said:
kazoospec said:

We used to add vacuum-operated compressor cutout switches to improve that situation.  HIt the gas hard, and the compressor clutch disengages.  Had one on my Vega.  Shouldn't be too hard to cobble together one from Grainger, if JC Whitney doesn't still carry it.

I just stab the button, its sort of like F1 "push to pass".  I used to tell the kids it was the NOS button. 

In unrelated news, I wonder why my kids don't seem to trust me?

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
7/16/18 6:04 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Damn right I use a bag, none of that hippie, nambie-pamby mulching crap for me!  My grandfather used a bag, the US Marine Corps uses a bag and I use a bag, as God intended.  As for where things should discharge, side discharge is stupid and outdated: 

Rear discharge is awesome and...hey wait a minute! 

Rear discharge is neat but damn I’d rock the red one to!

And after years of bagging, I’ve found it’s much less work just to mulch plus my lawn benefits from the added nutrients to.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
11/2/18 10:45 p.m.

In traffic, the only thing faster than a Malibu Maxx with no hubcaps is a Honda Odyssey with a crushed tailgate.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
11/3/18 7:57 a.m.

In reply to Mike :

Also gonna ad: A four door Grand Am with flat black paint, broken plastic bodywork and no muffler.  

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/3/18 10:17 a.m.
kazoospec said:
slantvaliant said:
kazoospec said:

I just stab the button, its sort of like F1 "push to pass".  I used to tell the kids it was the NOS button. 

In unrelated news, I wonder why my kids don't seem to trust me?

I’ll just say that I dailied an 84 diesel rabbit with A/C for two years and at times it would actually die when I pushed the button.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/3/18 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Mike :

Nah.  It's a clapped out mid-oughties Altima with 1 headlight, and with at least 3 young adults for ballast as it rocks wildly on its blown-since-Obama's-first-term struts.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/3/18 11:11 a.m.

Very few things lower your automotive opinion of someone quicker than flat black spray painted stock wheels.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/3/18 3:06 p.m.

Solid roller cams with roller rockers may be the ultimate for performance but it sounds absolutely horrible under the hood.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/3/18 3:58 p.m.
Knurled. said:

Solid roller cams with roller rockers may be the ultimate for performance but it sounds absolutely horrible under the hood.

Agreed. And I have both on my Duster.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/3/18 5:04 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

My buddy said if the brakes go out on those Rabbits turn on all the accessories to slow it down. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/3/18 7:40 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to chandler :

My buddy said if the brakes go out on those Rabbits turn on all the accessories to slow it down. 

Funny, most diesels have great compression braking but not those...

Brian
Brian MegaDork
11/4/18 2:04 p.m.

I look forward to a self driving car for my commute. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
11/5/18 9:34 a.m.
chandler said:
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to chandler :

Funny, most diesels have great compression braking but not those...

Every diesel I've driven has had almost zero compression braking(aside from the one Cummins Dodge that my FIL had with an exhaust brake). My Delica has virtually zero compression braking. Everyone thinks that diesels have good compression braking, but they really don't.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
11/5/18 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Mine did. 86 chevy 6.2. Downshifting to third at 55 slowed you to 35 very quickly, and sounded good doing it. Downshifting to second at any speed could be downright violent.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/5/18 3:34 p.m.

Megasquirt is not quick, simple, or easy. And support is not everywhere and well documented. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
11/5/18 4:45 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Megasquirt is not quick, simple, or easy. And support is not everywhere and well documented. 

It was for me.  The hardest part was getting the damned thing started.  Lots of information on how to do that, just required patience.  The rest was merely driving around the block at slow speeds and different throttle settings to rough tune the fuel cells.  This was with MS1 running Extra code, controlling Ford EDIS4 and an LC-1 for wideband on a SOHC 2.0L 4-cylinder.

Your install was finally working well, then you changed the clutch and it doesn't work anymore.  I highly doubt its MegaSquirt, but something you changed or altered while you had it apart messing with it.  Go back over the basics and always, always back up your working tunes and settings with notes so you can go back to a known state.  This is true of ANY fuel injection system.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/5/18 4:55 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Its back up and running again, but dont know why.  Honestly. 

Now on to more tuning. Especially with the colder weather and added electrical load of heater and loghts. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rqTSbn2w8eW8qGLEwOlXmlnUsDu0MJXSN5tTnCTzTzOwRmcomxcEyvgySHxAi358