rustyvw
rustyvw None
7/5/08 7:29 p.m.

I'll be in Memphis from Friday through Monday this coming weekend, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for things to do. Specifically automotive or airplane related, I'm also looking for some good barbeque restaurants. I'm hoping we have some members who are familiar with the area that might have some good suggestions.

Thanks

pete240z
pete240z HalfDork
7/5/08 8:24 p.m.

Every place has good BBQ.

The Memphis Redbirds are a lot of fun and the downtown area has a lot of bars and blues places.

The Elvis Graceland tour is interesting.

If you are a church going man, be sure to visit Bellvue Baptist and see the size of the place. Incredible.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/5/08 8:34 p.m.

To me, a trip to Memphis ain't right without going to Sun Studios. That's what it's all about right there.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
7/5/08 8:42 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: To me, a trip to Memphis ain't right without going to Sun Studios. That's what it's all about right there.

Agreed.

The BBQ place that I visited was either Leon's or Leonard's....one of the two. I'd also hit B.B. King's Bar.

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
7/5/08 10:10 p.m.

Graceland has Elvis's cars in a museum w/o taking the Graceland tour.

Nothing really special, but it is auto related.

Beale street is where BB Kings and a bunch of Blues bars, restaurants, etc. are.

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
7/5/08 10:19 p.m.

berkeley texas, memphis style BBQ is the best, course I was born up the road in Millington

scottgib
scottgib New Reader
7/5/08 11:26 p.m.

Rendevous for ribs and ambiance, Corky's for dry ribs, Beal Street for Blues.

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
7/6/08 8:41 a.m.

Dry is the operative word. Every time I've been in Memphis and eaten BBQ it has been very dry and over cooked. So disappointing since I have been used to good Texas BBQ.

Kramer
Kramer New Reader
7/6/08 11:08 a.m.

Watch the ducks at that hotel. And eat at Rendezvous. For blues, go to BB Kings Blues Club.

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
7/6/08 3:04 p.m.

BBQ and wings, there are dozens of ways to prepare either and what may be "one man's poison" just might be another man's pudding. That said, there are dozens of good BBQ restaurants here and a few that are superior...I can't recommend any for the latter category, tho, as I don't know your tastes. I STRONGLY recommend you check out our alternative newspaper for things to do here. The print edition of The Memphis Flyer can be found at most grocery stores when you arrive, you may even find it in racks at the Memphis Airport. Also check out the online version: memphisflyer.com, the print version (don't know about the online version) has a calender of events for the coming days/weeks/ and sometimes longer. You are lucky, summer weekends are the best for local events.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan New Reader
7/7/08 3:34 a.m.

I've always liked a song by the Colorblind James Experience titled "I'm considering a move to Memphis". You can find the lyrics here http://www.lyrics007.com/Colorblind%20James%20Experience%20Lyrics/Considering%20A%20Move%20To%20Memphis%20Lyrics.html quite a funky, funny, song.

grafmiata
grafmiata Dork
7/11/08 11:26 p.m.

Definitely Rendezvous for ribs, plus there's good gumbo at King's Cafe on Beale. Food at the Rum Boogie was pretty good as well.

Sun Studio is also a must-do... Hard to believe all the music that came out of that little place!!!

Take a quick trip to the riverfront, close to the Pyramid, to see the actual "Memphis Belle" B-17. It sits under a parachute-shaped canopy, so it's easy to spot.

Also, I don't know if they still give tours, but I went thru the Gibson Guitar factory a few years ago. Pretty cool tour, but I was disappointed that there were no free samples at the end!!!

While you're on Beale, stop at a place called Tater Red's and pick up an alligator head.

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
7/12/08 11:17 a.m.

I could be wrong, but wasn't the "Memphis Belle" moved? I don't believe it's even currently in the state of Tn. as it's been "reclaimed" by the USAF for refurbishment...tho I could be wrong.

rustyvw
rustyvw HalfDork
7/12/08 12:47 p.m.

I checked on that this morning, it's in Ohio at the Air Force Museum. It looks like I'll be heading to Beale St in a little while. Thanks for the suggestions.

3Door4G
3Door4G New Reader
7/13/08 6:14 p.m.

Hey on the topic of Tennessee, I'm about to move to Nashville next month. I'm wondering what there is to do around there for a resident.

Particularly car-related things. Good driving roads, drag strips, hangouts, etc.

Also is it just me or are the highways insanely confusing around there? I get lost every time I leave Gallatin Pike.

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
7/14/08 10:40 a.m.

3Door4g...

I live in Memphis and drive through Nashville 3 or 4 times a year on my way to my folks house in Pa. and yes, the roads are somewhat confusing. Everytime I've tried to take what I believe is a short cut, and even if I make an unscheduled stop for...whatever, if I don't REALLY pay attention, I wind up going the wrong direction and/or headed to who knows where. Over on the Classic Motorsports board, everyone is talking about the Lane Car Museum near Murfeesboro. I had not heard of it before but may try to stop on my next trip thro. You also aren't all that far from Bowling Green, Ky. and the National Corvette Museum. BTW, here in memphis, if you read GRM and look at the calendar of events section, you won't find nearly as many events as you will for Nashville or other cities within 2 or 3 hours of Nashville.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nrqGb3JeelsFRO0oIDVbx1cM8a8PCeZ4QHHf678QuveQbT69jqTiQOqVlmZ2SBel