ThurdFerguson (Freeloader)
ThurdFerguson (Freeloader) Reader
4/14/20 3:17 p.m.

I have a nice Honda self propelled lawn mower.  Rear wheel drive, rubber tires on plastic wheels.  I am blessed to have a nice green yard that is growing very well.  My trouble is I have multiple slopes in the back yard, compound slopes if that makes sense.  I am always slipping and sliding downhill as I mow.  Thinking of driving some sheet metal screws into the rear tires for traction.  I googled it, and some people have done it.  One guy put them down the middle every six inches.  I am thinking of alternating left to right every couple of inches.  My only concern is moving on concrete surfaces.  I keep the mower in the garage as well as having to cross a couple of sidewalks.  

Thinking of some like these:

DIN7504K EPDM Bonded Self Drilling Screws , Roofing Self Sealing ...

11GTCS
11GTCS New Reader
4/14/20 3:24 p.m.

What about cutting strips of anti slip material like used on stair treads?   That would likely give more grip without the issue crossing walkways and paved surfaces.

Edit: Sorry, I got distracted by the plastic wheels part and missed the rubber tires thing.    I still wonder is bands of the anti slip around the tires similar to what you described with the screws would work.

4/14/20 3:32 p.m.

That's an idea.  I also forgot to mention that I also slip on these slopes.  When stores open back up, I am hitting up Goodwill for some golf shoes.  smiley

If I could find these things to fit, man o man:

Robomow RoboGrips for RS Series Robotic Lawn Mowers for added ...

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
4/14/20 3:37 p.m.

If you're slipping too, those are some slopes.   Between the golf shoes and those beauties you'd never have to rent an aerator again, there's that!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/14/20 3:41 p.m.

Studding the tires is a good idea, they won't be pleasant on hard surfaces but it should fix the slipping on grass. Your alternating pattern sounds like a good idea. You don't want them to project out of the tire too much, I figure 5mm of projection is plenty. I assume these aren't pneumatic tires?

4/14/20 3:44 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Correct, not pneumatic.  Hard plastic wheel with a rubber tire.  Why such shallow?  More is better, right?

4/14/20 3:44 p.m.

These are my tires:

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
4/14/20 3:54 p.m.

Seeing that picture, I'd be tempted to try a band of the anti slip stuff around the tire.  Overlap it by a few inches to give the adhesive a fighting chance.  It lasts with foot traffic on stair treads and that's not a super tight radius.

4/14/20 4:04 p.m.

In reply to 11GTCS :

I might have some of that grip tape left somewhere.  I used some on outside wooden stairs at a previous house.  Now to find it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/14/20 4:10 p.m.
ThurdFerguson (Freeloader) said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Correct, not pneumatic.  Hard plastic wheel with a rubber tire.  Why such shallow?  More is better, right?

Too much and it'll stick in the ground *too* well...you still want it to roll and turn easily.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/14/20 4:17 p.m.

Heck, I don't even have hills and I want to stud my mower tires.  It's a 1-wheel drive because the self-drive axle has a bum diff.  New parts to fix axle = not made anymore.  New wheel to replace the bald one = $23.  Twelve screws = $0.58.

You might consider something less metal-y.  I'm just thinking of that one morning you go out to find your car tire flat and three self-tappers missing from your mower tire?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/14/20 4:22 p.m.

Thinking of studding my lawn mower tires

Really, I've never heard of that. What will you breed them to?

I'll see myself out. Remember to tip your waitress!

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/14/20 4:30 p.m.

New cottage industry during the pandemic:  Lawn Mower Stud Service.

4/14/20 4:35 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Good point. Thanks

4/14/20 4:35 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

You might consider something less metal-y.  I'm just thinking of that one morning you go out to find your car tire flat and three self-tappers missing from your mower tire?

Another good point.  Thanks

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/14/20 7:37 p.m.

Maybe cut a more aggressive pattern into the tire?

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/14/20 7:47 p.m.

When I had a ride-on mower and a steep lot I used tire chains.

But a slipping push mower?   Dunno about that.

stanger_missle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_missle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/14/20 8:20 p.m.

Coming next month in GRM: Grooving your lawnmower's tires - Does it really lower your laptimes of the backyard?

stanger_missle (Forum Supporter)
stanger_missle (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/14/20 8:25 p.m.

On a serious note; I think if you drive some 3/4" sheet metal screws into the rubber until just the head (heh) is sticking out would suffice in increasing traction in your yard without being totally obnoxious on pavement.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/15/20 10:31 a.m.
stanger_missle (Forum Supporter) said:

Coming next month in GRM: Grooving your lawnmower's tires - Does it really lower your laptimes of the backyard?

I want to adjust my alginment specs, getting to much understeer at pine tree corner.  Also hitting the Rev limiter on the sidewalk straight, taller tire maybe? Don't want to upshift as turn 3, garage wall is really tight and requires hard braking before entry.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/15/20 11:02 a.m.

I have a similar Honda lawnmower and have the same problem (well except for the nice grass). I might try it. I feel like it probably won't hurt concrete especially if you let off the gas going across it.

jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
4/15/20 11:08 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LbhfaZr0heXD8h6l1SZcsCAXehmNsxiuDt0DcNp67AvMgwW0iCFhrh63CEG0I6Bb