1 2
slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/20/22 4:35 p.m.

I don't mean they insulate their trailer with it, I mean they BUILD the trailer with it! I've been running down this rabbit hole all day. I'm fascinated.

There's even a forum:
https://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55

They drape the foam panels with canvas then soak it in epoxy to make what they call "poor man's fiberglass" to strengthen it. Genius!

I have a 5x8 utility trailer that I've been noodling on how to use it for camping somehow other than just hauling our stuff in it. I keep thinking about a removable camping insert "pod" that I can put on the trailer whenever it is camping time. I'm not a woodworker by any means, but a foam pod could be a solution, albeit likely an ugly one.

These folks built a wooden "camper pod" on skids that seems like a good solution that could be adapted to foam construction:

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/20/22 5:03 p.m.

I've seen some of that in the past, and the part that really confuses me is the use of "poor man's fiberglass".

One sheet of that pink foam is ~$30, and I can't really see doing that with less than 4 boards.  But 4 would be $120.

Getting what seems to be the proper fiberglass and resin would be ~$100 more.  Doing the cheap glue/canvas is only about 1/2 of that. 

Call it $250 in materials vs. $190 to be generous in those materials.  

So why not do it right?  A proper FB system would add a considerable amount of structure- since this is being built like a boat.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/20/22 5:08 p.m.

One other thing I would want to know before I traveled this journey (which I've considered) are the RV build requirements that Curtis has brought up in other threads.  

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/20/22 5:58 p.m.

I wonder how durable they really are, but I can see the benefits of light weight and the insulative properties.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/20/22 6:04 p.m.

Before we got the RV & I was still planning to raise the roof on the van, I was going to use this method. Although I was going to build a 1" square 16ga frame to help reduce flex. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/20/22 6:51 p.m.

This futuristic aircraft is foam core covered in fiberglass.

The design's been around for 47 years.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
6/20/22 6:58 p.m.

How long does it take for the foam and epoxy to "gas out "

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
6/20/22 7:00 p.m.

Isn't this just a really thick wing?  Of course having the trailer airborne might reduce the fuel used...

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/20/22 7:06 p.m.

Just don't flip it on the highway...

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
6/20/22 7:11 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

Well, that goes for most any camper...

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
6/20/22 7:17 p.m.

The zinger here is that you cannot use much cheaper polyester resin, as it melts the foam before cure. Epoxy isn't cheap. There needs to be about two gallons of epoxy soaked into what ever cloth used. That is over $400. for the good stuff. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
6/20/22 7:21 p.m.

on the flip side, you can buy marine epoxy by the gallon.  Just do not get it on your skin, you will develop an allergy with repeated exposure.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/20/22 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

there is that, too.  

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
6/20/22 8:09 p.m.

My dad has built 2 with this method. Foam, canvas with wood glue for the exterior and paint. Floors are super light, frame made of 2x2 with foam between and 1/4" thick plywood skins. He builds the boxes then bolts to a trailer. One was an old popup frame and one was a boat trailer frame. they tow well because they weigh nothing and have done fine sitting in his yard when not in use. 

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
6/20/22 10:40 p.m.

I am a member on that forum, and I have built a couple campers.  They call them foamies. In my state these are not considered rvs, they are just a trailer.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
6/20/22 11:04 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Weeelllllll, it's a bit different.  The foam is an open cell, urethane, PVC or other material that doesn't react to common resins used with fiberglass.  The glass is also several layers thick and, with the resin, is the actual strength of the structure.  These campers use the foam as the strength and the covering as protection.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/20/22 11:35 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

You're going to want to insulate the fiberglass camper too so count that in your materials costs for both. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
6/21/22 5:36 a.m.
Appleseed said:

My college job was working in a big box store. Every week or so a guy would come in and buy all of the 2" thick rigid foam that he could fit into his van. I eventually asked about his project, and he told me "I'm building a plane." Not sure I want any part of a home built foam aircraft, but it kind of makes sense. He eventually stopped coming in. I choose to believe that he's too busy jetsetting around the planet and not that he met his demise.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UltraDork
6/21/22 6:01 a.m.

Don't fall asleep with a cigarette on your night stand. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/21/22 8:56 a.m.

I was under the impression that PMF was cloth/canvas and watered down wood glue.

Using epoxy would take the poor out of PMF

My buddy built one out of plywood and it slides in and out of his 4X8 utility trailer, freeing up the trailer for other uses when he's not camping.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/21/22 9:38 a.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to alfadriver :

You're going to want to insulate the fiberglass camper too so count that in your materials costs for both. 

Why add more?  That amount of foam is more than enough to insulate a camper just in the build.  More than most campers.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/21/22 9:53 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Sorry, I think I was confused. I thought you weren't counting the foam board costs in the fiberglass alternative.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/21/22 10:05 a.m.
Peabody said:

I was under the impression that PMF was cloth/canvas and watered down wood glue.

Using epoxy would take the poor out of PMF

My buddy built one out of plywood and it slides in and out of his 4X8 utility trailer, freeing up the trailer for other uses when he's not camping.

That's what I want to do! Any chances of asking your buddy for a pic?

My 5x8 is currently set up with sides for vacation mode hauling, but also for cargo.

For vacation mode I have a fitted tarp that I pretty much "gift wrap" the trailer with and haul all our luggage/bikes/food.

Our mighty steed is a 2017 Sedona with a tow capacity of #3,500. I'd guess that I've never put more than #2,000 behind it, but it tows great.

I was thinking a slide-in "squaredrop" build with this shape:

I'd have to make some decisions on door placement in regards to the current high sides. Maybe make a U-shaped door in the existing sides to allow for camper doors.

Right now it is all theoretical anyway. I still have to sell my '75 Duster, replace the heater pipes on my E46, and get my '69 Olds running again. Building a camper is somewhere down the list...but I do happen to already have a stash of leftover rigid foam from insulating my garage office....

No Time
No Time SuperDork
6/21/22 10:16 a.m.

Is the foam structurally sound enough to make a home made clamshell that hinges open for snowmobiles?

Im thinking it could be used for summer storage if I included a floor to make it removable like some of the camper concepts. Essentially a foam storage container. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/21/22 10:31 a.m.

In reply to triumph7 :

My point was more of if Rutan can build safe aircraft out of foam and fiberglass, we can certainly build a camper out of it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VBIpgQdqirrjuV7G1f6jLNOp3o6htG6SufdCmmHAZhCZGMUWCcf7zKIpYSxdkNK7