1 2
bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
10/12/21 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Or worse, Walking in the grocery store and hearing songs from HS. It made me a little depressed to think about it. 

wae
wae UberDork
10/12/21 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

That is something I haven't thought about in a loooooong time.

I can still recall the day I had the ISDN 2B+D line installed at my parent's house, directly to my bedroom.  128kbits seemed unreal at the time.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/12/21 10:49 a.m.

What a blast from the past.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/12/21 11:52 a.m.
dculberson said:

What a blast from the past.

I had (happily) forgotten about this and phone lines. If you had one for the phone AND one for the computer, upper middle class right there.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/12/21 1:37 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

Does anybody remember using "trumpet winsock" to log on to your phone line to get to the internet. And you couldn't use your phone when you were browsing the usenet unless you had a second line. 

I don't remember that utility by name, but I remember when my wife needed to work from home during maternity, her company paid to have a second copper phone line installed to our house.  I wonder if they're still paying for service on that line...

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/12/21 3:56 p.m.

Ahhh the days of lead paint, asbestos, poring our use oil out on the driveway to keep the dust down.  Those were great times.   

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/12/21 4:23 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Ahhh the days of lead paint, asbestos, poring our use oil out on the driveway to keep the dust down.  Those were great times.   

Replaced with the days of everything being in disposable single serve containers, everybody using disposable electronics with a two year lifespan, both people working (twice the driving), etc... I am truly curious if our efforts to not pollute have kept up with the results of our dramatic increase in consumption.

My take is its different, not better or worse.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
10/12/21 4:47 p.m.

I sometimes think of time in RX Reven' units...

WWII ended in 1945 - I was born in 1964 (19 year spread) - I'm currently 57 so (19/57 = 0.33 RX Reven' units).

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/12/21 5:20 p.m.

I was looking for some house papers last night and realized that we bought this place 19 years ago....

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
10/12/21 5:27 p.m.

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) Dork
10/13/21 10:15 a.m.

I was asked to learn about this "online stuff" when I first started teaching.  I had an acoustic coupler for a phone (screaming at 300 baud), a list of IP addresses (since there was no DNS system accessible to us or a World Wide Web), and connected to sites via Command Line Interface. 

One of the sites I used was the Project Gutenberg, which had digitized out of copyright books and allowed them to be downloaded for free, if you disregard the hours and hours it took to retrieve something at 300 baud.  I downloaded Alice in Wonderland and it only took about seven hours devil

See the source image

A couple of years later, a new thing called the Mosaic Browser (a bit later Mosaic became Netscape) came along, along with the World Wide Web, and WebCrawler (a full text search engine) were released, and things started looking something like the WWW of today.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' UltraDork
10/13/21 11:23 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I was looking for some house papers last night and realized that we bought this place 19 years ago....

Any thoughts on how we want to celebrate in 2040...you know, when you'll have had your house for 0.50 RX Reven' units.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/13/21 11:43 a.m.
CJ (FS) said:

I was asked to learn about this "online stuff" when I first started teaching.  I had an acoustic coupler for a phone (screaming at 300 baud), a list of IP addresses (since there was no DNS system accessible to us or a World Wide Web), and connected to sites via Command Line Interface.

If it was really only a couple years until you had Mosaic, your school was WAY behind the times. :)  Acoustic couplers were made obsolete in 1984 when the breakup of Ma Bell meant that they couldn't restrict what you were allowed to plug into your phone line any more.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XkJmYrs5FEEYpDCXTDcKkYW6kelUQBp5suOdKP3QPHjRFZm7N9GZi38VSeHN6Apl