1 2
imirk
imirk HalfDork
10/5/12 12:13 p.m.

I'm a cheap mother berkeleyer, I'll call in the order then get into my car and pick it up myself, It is about a 10 minute drive so by the time I get there and pay I've got a hot pie.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
10/5/12 8:23 p.m.

$3 is still a good tip, especially since they started charging that much up front for the "convenience" of getting it delivered.

i know this will come across as cold and uncaring, but pizza delivery was never intended to be a primary job for grown up people, so if you aren't making enough doing it to get by then you need to find a better job.. and, yes, they are still out there for people that want them.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
10/5/12 8:53 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: $3 is still a good tip, especially since they started charging that much up front for the "convenience" of getting it delivered. i know this will come across as cold and uncaring, but pizza delivery was never intended to be a primary job for grown up people, so if you aren't making enough doing it to get by then you need to find a better job.. and, yes, they are still out there for people that want them.

Not cold and uncaring. Just being a dick. This chick lost her main gig when the company she worked for bit the dust. She'll find something. In the meantime, her once "second" job is now her primary job. She's not pulling unemployment or foodstamps...but delivers to white trash who DO take every handout they can get, and give a buck for a tip, or worse, non english speaking berkeleys who tip NOTHING.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
10/5/12 9:16 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
novaderrik wrote: $3 is still a good tip, especially since they started charging that much up front for the "convenience" of getting it delivered. i know this will come across as cold and uncaring, but pizza delivery was never intended to be a primary job for grown up people, so if you aren't making enough doing it to get by then you need to find a better job.. and, yes, they are still out there for people that want them.
Not cold and uncaring. Just being a dick. This chick lost her main gig when the company she worked for bit the dust. She'll find something. In the meantime, her once "second" job is now her primary job. She's not pulling unemployment or foodstamps...but delivers to white trash who DO take every handout they can get, and give a buck for a tip, or worse, non english speaking berkeleys who tip NOTHING.

as the customer, it's not my fault she lost her main job... it happens to everyone at some point in time, and just barely scraping by and cutting back or eliminating the stuff that everyone thinks they "need" these days is something that needs to be done until something better comes up.

joey48442
joey48442 UberDork
10/5/12 9:38 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
poopshovel wrote:
as the customer, it's not my fault she lost her main job... it happens to everyone at some point in time, and just barely scraping by and cutting back or eliminating the stuff that everyone thinks they "need" these days is something that needs to be done until something better comes up.

I made my living delivering pizzas for a lot of years. I always tip 8 to 10 bucks now. I never messed with anyone, but people would do well to remember: the driver is alone with your food. He also knows where you live. We had exceptional memories as to who did and did not tip.

Joey

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
10/5/12 9:51 p.m.

I've been in the service industry. I know customers are shiny happy people. I'll always BS with the pizza dude, offer him a soda, whatever. It's a rough world. If I can make sure homeboy takes extra good care of my pie with a few bucks and a minute of my time, game on. Plus you never know who's night you'll make with a fiver. If I can't afford the tip, I need to not order a pizza and waste the drivers time.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
10/6/12 6:30 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: as the customer, it's not my fault she lost her main job... it happens to everyone at some point in time, and just barely scraping by and cutting back or eliminating the stuff that everyone thinks they "need" these days is something that needs to be done until something better comes up.

Wow, just wow.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
10/6/12 7:23 a.m.
imirk wrote: I'm a cheap mother berkeleyer, I'll call in the order then get into my car and pick it up myself, It is about a 10 minute drive so by the time I get there and pay I've got a hot pie.

I live 4 minutes away. Exactly 1.0 miles. I too am cheap and don't know anything about getting food delivered.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
10/6/12 12:41 p.m.

I live about a mile away from our prefered pizza place too. $5 is cheaper than a DUI.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
10/6/12 2:14 p.m.

the papa johns 2 blocks away charges 2 bucks delivery fee, which they say on the receipt that the fee doesn't go to the driver iirc, and takes at least 45 minutes to deliver it, longer if its busy. so we will order, then take the dog out, and by the time she's done her thing its time to go pick up the pizza, saving around $7. if we get stuff delivered i usually will tip 20% to start. like others have said, people remember who tips well and sometimes that means they are more helpful than they might be otherwise.

KATYB
KATYB Dork
10/8/12 5:03 p.m.

as a delivery driver we have a large delivery area (9 miles south 8 miles east 5 miles west 2 miles north. and i avg 4 for tips. however what is interesting is that the farther out i get the worse my tips are regardless of time till delivery. just seems more out in the country and less i get tipped. we get 1.20 per deliver to cover mielage which when we take runs of 2 3 or 4 orders makes up for gas but slow nights where it is all single runs its completely possible to lose money on the compensation.

KATYB
KATYB Dork
10/8/12 5:07 p.m.

in the summer tips seem to swell to 5 or 6 on avg. seems to be connected to how short my shorts are.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
10/8/12 7:16 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
poopshovel wrote:

Wow--that's great advice! "Get a better job!" I wonder why she didn't think of that!

I love how the crap tippers of the world use the "get a better job" excuse I've never worked in a job that relied on tips, but dammit if I'm not a good tipper.

That said, if I found myself needing to deliver pizzas, I'd find a place that serviced a more affluent area. Tipping stereotypes have been proven true a billion times over (google it--it's depressing/frustrating).

turbojunker
turbojunker HalfDork
10/8/12 7:27 p.m.

I delivered in a college town and made pretty decent money.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
10/8/12 10:48 p.m.

i will make more this year than i've ever made in my life. i still can't afford a $25 pizza.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
10/8/12 10:57 p.m.

$4-5 on our avg $20 order. Our pizza dude always throws in lava cakes or parmesan bits for free. Same with our favorite Chinese delivery place. Those peeps remember us from our tips.

vdubinsd
vdubinsd New Reader
10/8/12 11:04 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
novaderrik wrote: as the customer, it's not my fault she lost her main job... it happens to everyone at some point in time, and just barely scraping by and cutting back or eliminating the stuff that everyone thinks they "need" these days is something that needs to be done until something better comes up.
Wow, just wow.

Wow is right...I hope you never end up in the situation to eat those words.

We were punk teenagers once, and left a tip of change in the bottom of a water glass one late night at Denny's. The waitress calmly walked out to us in the parking lot when we were leaving, and showed us a picture of her young daughter as she told us she appreciated the tip so she could save it for her birthday present.

Maybe she doesn't "need" a gift

I tip too good, and have been told that many times-but have respect for someone willing to do a thankless job for crap wages.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
10/9/12 10:38 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: $4-5 on our avg $20 order. Our pizza dude always throws in lava cakes or parmesan bits for free. Same with our favorite Chinese delivery place. Those peeps remember us from our tips.

The low tippers will never grasp that concept.

We're regulars at a few places and we tip well. Thus, the service/extras we receive are pretty great.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
10/9/12 11:03 a.m.

I usually do $5 tips for pizza deliveries if it gets there reasonably fast.

rotard
rotard Dork
10/9/12 11:39 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
poopshovel wrote:

Wow, that's pretty condescending. I wonder how often you're a dick to cashiers, clerks, customer service, and other people that don't have "grownup" jobs like you. It's pretty embarrassing and the sad part is that you don't understand why you should be ashamed of yourself.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vNBlDQQngsRB8mBh02sD9vWnYqojysJgsp7xXkhjiwRUiLc8TDo2QSnBQcHQwovO