1 2 3
Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
11/15/18 2:06 p.m.

Advertising does work.  Who in their right mind wouldn't want a Toyota that's "rounded to the ground"?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/15/18 2:13 p.m.
SVreX said:
z31maniac said:

A vape company on the side of a car doesn't encourage me to vape anymore than a Johnnie Walker sticker on an F1 car encourages me to drink a product I don't like. 

So I don't have a problem with those companies advertising in motorsports. Especially in the face of rising costs, lessening sponsorship opportunities from other industries/companies, etc. 

There are only so many people that can afford a watch from Hublot. 

I’m calling BS on this. 

If your favorite brand of whiskey (or whatever the berkeley you like) only advertised on Tampon boxes and the back of Fruity Pebbles, I can pretty much bet you’d think it was much less cool. 

Advertising works. On everyone. 

It does not, however, make anyone run to the store to buy a product. It creates brand recognition, and helps us make associations between products and things we think are cool (or not cool). 

You're completely flipping my example. 

So I'll break it down again. NO amount of advertising is going to make me like scotch. If Lagavulin started advertising with the Mercedes F1 team or a personal sponsor of Hamilton, that is not going to make me start drinking scotch..........because I think it's disguting. 

If Jameson sponsored an ice skating, sorry drift team, that would not mean Jameson is no longer my whiskey of choice. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/15/18 2:17 p.m.

Mark Martin's No 7 Valvoline T-Bird got me to using Valvoline oil.   I still am much of the time.     

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/15/18 2:23 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I suspect you're not as immune as you think. If your favorite team in your favorite sport had advertising for Lagavulin when you were 15, I bet you would have been more inclined to try it and more inclined to enjoy it as you aged. There's no deciding that with discussion, but as I've said earlier in this thread, research shows that to be the case. On average, people will drink more if there's more drinking advertisements in their entertainment, and they'll smoke more if there's more smoking advertisement in their entertainment. You may claim otherwise, but that's a rational brain making a spur of the moment statement not a lizard brain exposed to years of relentless advertisement making an unconscious choice.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
11/15/18 2:26 p.m.

Moreover, it doesn't even matter whether any given individual is as right as they think they are about their imperviousness. It's the broad numbers that decide advertising, and that determine whether there's an impact large enough to be felt across a society.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
11/15/18 2:42 p.m.

Racing pretty well sucks to watch anymore. I don't really care who advertises with them.

I won't get into my opinion on the regulation of advertising.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/15/18 2:52 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

When my brother was little, he put on a Superman cape and dove head first down a staircase- he thought he could fly. 

Right now, you sound a lot like him. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/15/18 3:10 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to z31maniac :

When my brother was little, he put on a Superman cape and dove head first down a staircase- he thought he could fly. 

Right now, you sound a lot like him. 

And you're insinuating I'm childish and dumb because I disagree with you. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/15/18 3:15 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

No I’m not. 

I’m saying you are not immune to advertising, any more than he was immune to gravity, nor any more than the rest of us.

(EDIT: self censor) 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/15/18 3:17 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Thank you for your ninja edit. 

I did see it, but I appreciate you reconsidering. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/15/18 3:46 p.m.
Duke said:
z31maniac said:

I have 3 Hewlett-Packard computers because of that car!

Dude, smoking is nothing like as bad for you as buying Hewlett-Packard computers.  What were you thinking?

Hewlett-Pack is wack!

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
11/15/18 3:47 p.m.

I agree that advertising works. I mean, I have kind of devoted my life to a business that involves that concept. That's why we won't accept an ad if we believe the product offers zero benefit to our readers. (I've dropped a few jerkarounds and shady businesspeople for the same reason, because if they are squirrely with me, they'll be squirrely with my people--and that's unforgivable.) So yeah, no cigarette ads here.

Margie

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
11/15/18 4:52 p.m.

If vape companies are going to turn to motorsport to advertise, how are they not on a Subaru rally car yet? They're really missing their mark. We're a Redbull flavored vape oil away from six figure winnings for podium finishes in rally events. 

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
11/15/18 5:07 p.m.

JOE CAMEL ROCKS, E-Z WIDER had the attention of thousands of new fans for road racing.

Will
Will UltraDork
11/15/18 5:41 p.m.

No cigarette ad can convince me to smoke if I don't want to smoke.

If I'm a smoker, sure, an ad may convince me to try one brand over another.

Lots of people here focusing on the first statement. No mention of the second yet.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/15/18 5:50 p.m.

In reply to Will :

I’m just not sure I agree with that first statement, is all. 

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
11/15/18 6:03 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

It wasn't Joe camel, the Marlboro man, or any little logo on a car or anything that got me to start smoking. Advertisements had nothing to do with my switching brands either. 

Peer pressure, parental imitation, ease of access, the relaxing and calming effect of nicotine, sure those all played a part in starting. Changing brands was pretty much "Goddamn I went through 3 packs of Marlboro today. Lemme try one of your camel wides. Hey that's a lot better tasting and burning than this Marlboro and I don't need to chain smoke anymore". 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/15/18 6:32 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

You say so, but I don’t think anyone is in a position to say for sure whether or not advertising affected their decisions. That’s something only statistics can help reveal. 

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
11/15/18 6:33 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to Will :

I’m just not sure I agree with that first statement, is all. 

Also, seems like a lot of folks are expanding their personal understanding of their own experience to represent the general case.

As they say, the plural of "anecdote" is not "data". And that's without wading into the accuracy of self-audit.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
11/15/18 7:12 p.m.

I'm inclined to agree that brand-awareness won't make me take up smoking, but would influence what brands I would try if I were a smoker.

I'm curious if there is any data on this.  Especially since the sponsorships are "brand x" logos, not "Have you thought about smoking?  It makes you cool!  Try brand x!"

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/15/18 7:18 p.m.
z31maniac said:

And Ozzy's song "Suicide Solution" made people kill themselves, and Grand Theft Auto turned me into a felon, and how many Slippery Slope Fallacies do you think we can add to this thread. 

Fun fact:  "Suicide Solution" is not about killing oneself, it is about alcohol.  Another product that is banned from motorsport advertisement.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/15/18 7:23 p.m.
Armitage said:
crankwalk said:
GameboyRMH said:

I know if doesn't make you smoke, it doesn't make me smoke either, but the numbers suggest that it is making many people smoke.

Then they're idiots and ANY reason would sway them. I'm not necessarily saying they are idiots if they smoke, but ANYBODY that is marketed to and buys everything mindlessly because they saw it somewhere and can't think critically is doomed and not my problem.

We adults may know better, but as dculberson touched on earlier, a lot of these vaping advertisements are targeted squarely at children who are much more impressionable.

When I was a kid, we'd hear stories of people getting beat up or even killed for their shoes, because they were freakin' Reeboks.

Why were they so awesome?  Because the commercials said they were, and they were expensive.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/15/18 7:29 p.m.
captdownshift said:

If vape companies are going to turn to motorsport to advertise, how are they not on a Subaru rally car yet? They're really missing their mark. We're a Redbull flavored vape oil away from six figure winnings for podium finishes in rally events. 

Subaru WRT/Prodrive used to be sponsored by a tobacco company.  Subaru fans still like to paint their cars blue and gold and associate 555 with the WRX.  Advertising and sponsorship work to ingrain a name, and if they do it strongly enough, they can get people to advertise for them for free!

As for vaping, I'd think they would be better off advertising for Bully Dog and other brodozer coal-roller diesel hipster companies.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/15/18 7:38 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to dculberson :

It wasn't Joe camel, the Marlboro man, or any little logo on a car or anything that got me to start smoking. Advertisements had nothing to do with my switching brands either. 

Peer pressure, parental imitation, ease of access, the relaxing and calming effect of nicotine, sure those all played a part in starting. Changing brands was pretty much "Goddamn I went through 3 packs of Marlboro today. Lemme try one of your camel wides. Hey that's a lot better tasting and burning than this Marlboro and I don't need to chain smoke anymore". 

....I'm not SAYING that I tried Lucky Strikes because of Initial D, but.... okay yeah I'm saying that.

(Also:  They suck, and were expensive in the process)

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/15/18 7:43 p.m.
Knurled. said:
captdownshift said:

Subaru WRT/Prodrive used to be sponsored by a tobacco company.  Subaru fans still like to paint their cars blue and gold and associate 555 with the WRX.  Advertising and sponsorship work to ingrain a name, and if they do it strongly enough, they can get people to advertise for them for free!

As for vaping, I'd think they would be better off advertising for Bully Dog and other brodozer coal-roller diesel hipster companies.

Not going to lie. I only found out that 555 was a tobacco company like last year. And I loved that livery. And it was well into the 2000's when I learned that Rothmans and the JPS liveries were tobacco as well. I never associated any of them with tobacco, only bad ass race cars. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vTsYAHyOA1Y4dsTYnk3GsOsQdhiUxVKF4w5Dfa7poAryBvBV41Q7JwrF7fKl45gw