Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
2/27/21 8:33 p.m.

TIL a lot of E36 M3 hit the fan in Texas last week.

Nearly $50 billion in electricity sales were carried out last week through the Texas organization that acts as a clearinghouse — as much as the three previous years combined

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
2/28/21 3:51 p.m.
wae said:

TIL:  No matter how hard and how many times you pull the emergency brake release, the hood just will not open.

I'm embarrassed to say that I spent about 5 minutes of my life on that problem....

What sippin corn squeezin's had you gotten into???

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/2/21 7:42 a.m.

TIL that my F250 has two flasher relays, one for the hazards, the other one for the turn signals.

Fortunately that meant I was able to fix the non-working turn signals by replacing the accessible flasher relay.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/2/21 9:16 a.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

TIL that my F250 has two flasher relays, one for the hazards, the other one for the turn signals.

Fortunately that meant I was able to fix the non-working turn signals by replacing the accessible flasher relay.

That's pretty common on American stuff from the beginning of 4 way flashers to the late 80's.  Way less common now.

wae
wae UberDork
3/2/21 9:22 a.m.
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) said:
wae said:

TIL:  No matter how hard and how many times you pull the emergency brake release, the hood just will not open.

I'm embarrassed to say that I spent about 5 minutes of my life on that problem....

What sippin corn squeezin's had you gotten into???

I really wish I could blame it on a chemically-induced reduction of brain function, but I gave up alcohol for Lent.  I managed that display of stupid all on my own!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/2/21 11:29 a.m.

One of the side effects of the anti anxiety meds is out of control eating. I wish I realized that before I put 30 lbs back on. Ugh. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/2/21 11:58 a.m.

TIL that Red Wing thinks I need a 12EE.  I have narrow canoe-like feet.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/2/21 4:42 p.m.

TIL that garlic can turn blue, and it does not mean it has gone bad. 

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/2/21 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Everyone has a different journey, but can I suggest a medical (which isn't the same as, but doesn't preclude "surgical") weight loss program? I'm in one attached to the local mega-hospital. They have a dietician, a doctor, and a psych. They do a bunch of tests to look for medicial reasons to not lose weight, work on your food choices and tweak them, talk about emotions, help tweak meds, and do this wraparound effort to get weight loss going.

I've been in one since December, and I'm about 20% toward my goal. There's no creepiness, judgement, or snake oil. Everyone involved is a medical professional.

If nothing else, they might get you a med to counter the appetite problems.

Today I learned that 2000 grit paper will not get the surface finish on polished aluminum that i want after polishing compound on a foam powerball. 

I also learned that there is 7000 grit wet paper on Amazon and that it will be here Thursday. 

Think im going to enjoy this.....

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/2/21 5:27 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

Today I learned that 2000 grit paper will not get the surface finish on polished aluminum that i want after polishing compound on a foam powerball. 

I also learned that there is 7000 grit wet paper on Amazon and that it will be here Thursday. 

Think im going to enjoy this.....

We enjoy very different things.  There is almost nothing I hate more than sanding something.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/3/21 7:41 a.m.
NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/3/21 8:07 a.m.

TIL this

Wally (Forum Supporter)
3/4/21 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Mike (Forum Supporter) :

My doctor and I are going to talk more about it next month.  I've been on Saxenda for a few months but it doesn't seem to be working like it did. Right now I don't have the motivation to do much of anything.  

Mike (Forum Supporter)
3/4/21 8:37 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

yes

Getting the doc scheduled is consistently the hardest part for me.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
3/4/21 8:38 p.m.

It never made sense to me, but I never bothered to look it up. TIL that the whole thing about not putting car batteries on a concrete floor is bunk, at least for modern plastic housings.

I think I've been carrying that around since I was a little kid.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
3/8/21 2:37 p.m.
5/3020
Woody said:

And...

TIL that, in spite of everything I know about Social Distancing, I’m still willing to accept an envelope full of $100 bills to offload something on Craigslist. 

TIL that this is still Just As True now as it was then.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/8/21 3:53 p.m.
Mike (Forum Supporter) said:

It never made sense to me, but I never bothered to look it up. TIL that the whole thing about not putting car batteries on a concrete floor is bunk, at least for modern plastic housings.

I think I've been carrying that around since I was a little kid.

Whistles as he notices that he has 2 boat batteries sitting on 2x4's in the garage.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/9/21 12:21 p.m.

TIL I might become a dad, and I'm secretly excited for it.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
3/9/21 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

Congrats! My favorite piece of parenting advice: A infant baby can't fall of the floor.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/9/21 1:13 p.m.

Thanks! Fingers crossed! Seems like sound advice.

At what point can I start handing it a wrench? cool

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
3/9/21 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Azryael :

I had Lil Stampie tightening bolts at 4 and was pleasantly surprised that he got them pretty tight.  Also congrats.

Azryael
Azryael Reader
3/9/21 1:27 p.m.

I never had that growing up, at least from my dad (he's not at all mechanically inclined), so most I learned from my cousins and godfather growing up overseas.

Definitely want to get a head start on stuff like this, same thing with hopefully igniting an interest in musical instruments.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/9/21 1:39 p.m.

TIL, I really should leave E36 M3 alone as the factory intended for some things....

Currently through about 2/3 of the first front wheel part of a 3"/4" lowering "kit" on my Avalanche... I'm only have under 2 hrs into it in the driveway but now I'm fighting a upper ball joint that will probably run the front axle shaft and the same joint doesn't want to tighten up either... Plus, I probably should put new hubs on it too as this one is a bit crusty with 190k on it, but nah gonna berkeleying send it.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
3/9/21 6:34 p.m.

The shop I use is 8.3 miles from home.  It took me about 3.5 hours and two slices of pizza to walk it.  I never would have guessed it was that far. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nCaErUZrQ5HRY21wYRKhK6JqJun2ykUqtVr9DTBkCAny1PvMbuDswnT4XKCIl3I0